Author Topic: Snag list  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Gary t

Snag list
« on: Tuesday,May 11, 2021, 12:17:56 PM »
I am working through first drive snags. Today's project is inoperative speedometer.  I have pulled cleaned and relubed the inner cable it is nice and clean turns easily. I have checked the 90° drive at the transmission  it also  turns nice and smooth.  I am worried about the transmission output gear are these replaceable?  Is there a source (I'm to lazy to look on rdent) .
Does anyone have trouble shooting tips?
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline jbcollier

Re: Snag list
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 11, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »
Seems all that is left to check is whether the transaxle speedometer drive is actually turning, and whether the speedometer itself works.

Jack up the car and put it on jack stands.  Disconnect the speedo cable at the speedometer and route it so you can see it.  Start the car and run it in gear.  Does the inner cable turn?

Yes, then check the speedometer.

No, follow the cable back until you find what's causing the inner cable not to turn.  Common faults:
- worn inner cable ends
- inner cable too short
- angle drive issues
- worn plastic speedo drive gear

Speedometer, spin its drive with a small screwdriver. It should flick one way but not the other.  Flicks?  Hook up a drill (turning the correct way) and run it up.  No flick, pull the speedometer for repair.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 11, 2021, 02:59:12 PM »
Thanks John I set to go around the block and see if the flag on the speedometer cable waves.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline Gary t

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 11, 2021, 08:59:26 PM »
Ok I firmly believe that the problem is in the gear box. Now how hard is it to get at that gear. RD have what might be replacements but very expensive  for a little piece of plastic. Anybody have one looking for a job?
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 05:53:17 AM »
Jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands.  Remove the speedo cable from the drive.  Stick a small screwdriver into the drive.  Hold one wheel while turning the other.  Does the screwdriver turn?

If not, remove the plastic drive gear and examine it.  After that, you have to pop the rear cover off the transaxle.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 07:30:04 AM »
I know it isn't the same angle drive but I had a problem with my Elan+2 speedo, the input shaft seized in the the pot metal housing of the speedo.  Probably just from not being lubed all these years.  That was enough to loosen a crimp on the Elan's version of the angle drive.  After fixing the speedo the angle drive needed to be re-crimped internally as it had what appeared to be a fail point so that you didn't damage the transmission gear or speedo.  If you can get at the back of the speedo I could quickly tell with a tiny flat blade screwdriver that the speedo input was seized and the source of your grief.
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 09:58:54 AM »
I am working through first drive snags. Today's project is inoperative speedometer.  I have pulled cleaned and relubed the inner cable it is nice and clean turns easily. I have checked the 90° drive at the transmission  it also  turns nice and smooth.  I am worried about the transmission output gear are these replaceable?  Is there a source (I'm to lazy to look on rdent) .
Does anyone have trouble shooting tips?
I am following this thread with interest - are you running a 4 or 5 speed transaxle - (Have I missed that bit...? ) - I hope it is the 4 speed because "popping off the rear cover" on a 5 speed, (and getting it back on) - is a mission  :'( 

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 11:09:52 AM »
My snag list on 2520R is down to oil leak from gearbox, and water leak from pump. Engine out.

The gearbox leak turns out to be the oil seal on the first motion shaft, 24mm x 36mm x 8mm, about £7.50 incl postage.

Water was pouring out of the hole by the water pump puller, so an overhaul kit has been ordered from QED in Leicester.

Leaks Oil Through Unusual Sources.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
Dilkris yes a 4 speed. John said "just pop it off" most Lotus pop it off spiral downward out of control. So I may use my phone as speedometer until hibernation time. Wish there was a way to extract the gear/shaft easily.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 12:26:06 PM »
 :I-agree: Whilst I have no experience of the 4 speed, I can vouch from experience of the 5 speed and "yes" removing (and replacing) the rear cover is "painful"  :'(- and even more so if the unit is in the car...
I hope that access is easier on the 4 speed - if not - I think your phone is your friend whilst you "think about it"     
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 12:32:18 PM by Dilkris »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 01:22:59 PM »
Hmm, I'd definitely rather just have to re and re the rear cover than pull the whole transaxle out.  I swapped my 5th gear from a 0.93 to a 0.86.  Pretty straight forward.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,May 12, 2021, 06:56:07 PM »
Ah - but you're really clever JB - some of us - not so.  :)

Offline Gary t

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 06:48:02 AM »
Has anyone removed the rear cover?how big off a job is it? What supplies should I have on hand before starting? I am reluctant to take it apart and have it sit for weeks waiting for a part that I could have had on hand.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »
If the speedo dive gear looks good, then it may well be an issue with the drive gear.  They are not readily available and might take time to track one down.  I would use a GPS and enjoy the summer and tackle it in the fall.  Lord knows winters here are long enough to get just about anything done.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 04:01:08 PM »
John I agree about  winter.
Everything works but output from the transmission where the 90° gear box plugs in  does not turn.  Is it possible to pull the drive gear and drive gear guide out without removing the rear cover.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173