Author Topic: Motor Stand/Cradle  (Read 519 times)

Offline Footer

Motor Stand/Cradle
« on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 03:32:15 PM »
Hope everyone is well and now immune from the Covid!

I'm looking for an inexpensive stand/cradle for my twin cam.  Certified showed one during his restoration project but reports that it has been sold.  He got it from GB and when I looked, it was considerably more than I wanted to spend.  Something like 146. 00  Pounds plus VAT and Shipping.
I did come across this one and it looks interesting at a reasonable price.
 http://www.thelolaregistry.com/Partsforsale/ForSalePages/engine_stand.htm 
If you have an opinion about this one I would like to hear it.  My need for the stand is short term  at this point.
Perhaps someone has one they want to sell or knows of another site where I could get one.
Thanks for your help!

Bob

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Motor Stand/Cradle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »
All of the other engine stands I've seen cost around $180-$200. $90 for the this one sounds like a good deal, cheap enough for your short time requirements. You can always sell it after you no longer need it. 

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=365

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:16:13 PM »
Uh, Grumblebuns, doesn’t that one go for $190?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:36:40 PM »
Why would you want a stand like that?  To hold the engine from falling over?  Just use some wood.

If you need a stand to help when overhauling the engine, this is more useful:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-69886.html

and cheap.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
You don't say why you want a stand - is it just to transport the motor or to actually work on it? There are 2 distinct types of stands.

If it is to work on and you are rebuilding it, then the ability to rotate the engine through 180 degree's is important - the stand I used allowed for this and bolted to the flywheel side of the engine block but you then have the disadvantage of the fact that you have to remove the stand to install the flywheel and clutch assembly. (Note: these also have to be removed before you fit the stand). There are some stands that allow for such rotation and bolt to just one side of the engine block but I have personally never felt comfortable with mounting an engine stand this way.

The stand type that you and Grumblebuns refer to allows for access to the flywheel and clutch and are great - as long as you do not want to work on the crankshaft - for which you will really want to be able to turn the motor up side down.

It's an awkward one - I would adopt the "buy use and sell" approach - I bought one, used it and now I would be happy to sell it - but I'm in the UK, which hardly helps.  :( :(       

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
JB posted whilst I was writing - what he suggests is similar to what I used, in design and cost.   

Offline jpane

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
I also used the one JB suggested.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 07:29:19 PM »
Uh, Grumblebuns, doesn’t that one go for $190?

I was giving an example of the more expensive ones. One major disadvantage of the HF style engine stand is the amount of floor space it takes up. With the cradle style stand you can roll the entire engine under a desk or storage rack out of the way and transport of the engine is easier. Again, once you are done with stand, sell it and get most of your money back.

Another alternative is to make your own if you can weld.

« Last Edit: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 07:31:15 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 11:30:24 PM »
Then again - "when I was a lad" - people rebuilt engines without them.... :FUNNY:

Offline cwtech

« Reply #9 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 06:08:02 AM »
If your looking for something to support the TC engine/transaxle while it is out of the car, I used the base of an abandoned shopping cart.  ....It is on wheels, so it can be moved easily.  ....The oil pan rests on the flat brace between the wheels.  ....One steel strap is used on each side to connect an engine mount stud to the tubing of the cart base.

If you want a stand to support the engine while it is being rebuilt, the HF stand is OK.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 08:43:20 AM »
My engine and transaxle are sitting on two of the Harbor Freight furniture moving dollies I had the car resting on. I didn't need an engine hoist to get the engine on them, I just lowered the chassis after the rear suspension was removed until the engine was resting on the dollies. I then unbolted the engine and transmission mounts and lifted the chassis and just rolled it forward until it cleared the engine and set it down. I will get an engine stand though to facilitate the engine rebuild.
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Footer

« Reply #11 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 09:15:46 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I should have been more specific when I was describing my needs in a stand.

I'm not a mechanic and certainly not a machinist who rebuilds his own engines so a rotating stand does not interest me at all.  Grumblebuns also points out the fact that that type of stand does take up a lot of floor space.
My motor is now at the machine shop and I'm anticipating bringing it home soon.  Letting it rest on the oil pan does not attract me even when the rest of the motor is secured.  Lying in the bed of a pickup truck lends itself to many disasters in the event of a sudden coarse correction.  Even sitting around my garage on top of the moving dolly sold at Harbor Freight doesn't attract me.
On the type of stand I'm looking for, it's secure and allows access to the head, distributor, oil pump, fuel pump and the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. More access than that is out of my competency range. Should I need rollers, I could add castors or set it on top of the movers dolly.
I don't have any welding equipment or skills so that is out of the question.  Woodworking is one of my hobbies so I could go that route , although it would be nice to have the block here for measurements, test fits, etc.
The abandoned shopping cart suggestion made by CWTECH is interesting and I will look into that.
Always good information from the people who know Europa's.

Thanks

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Friday,April 16, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
Make a wooden crate/box to take the oil pan.  Also fit outriggers for castors so it’s stable and you can move it around.  Simple, cheap, and cheerful.