Author Topic: Gilmer Drive Kit for a TC Special  (Read 772 times)

Offline Footer

Gilmer Drive Kit for a TC Special
« on: Tuesday,December 22, 2020, 11:59:56 AM »
Hope everyone is healthy and have all your presents wrapped!

I'm trying to locate a Gilmer Drive kit for my Twin Cam motor.  The factory original pump is on it and I'm going to do a water pump replacement with an OEM pump kit.  While the motor is out, I wanted to add a Gilmer drive kit, but can't seem to locate one.  Ken Grey at Dave Bean has been trying to get one for me since September or October with no luck and he's not optimistic for the future.  Ray at RD didn't have one and referred me to BAT in Florida.  Struck out there as well.
Europa Engineering has one on their website and I've emailed to get more information but have not gotten their response  yet.  Can't tell if their example is the right size.  I may end up calling them. They come in different sizes, one for street and one for the track.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 22, 2020, 12:01:52 PM by Footer »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Gilmer Drive Kit for a TC Special
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,December 22, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »
I'm not familiar with that description but is this the sort of thing you're looking for ?

https://www.burtonpower.com/water-pump-powergrip-kit-lotus-twin-cam-pre-x-flow-fp225k.html

I have no idea if it will work on the Europa but it looks hopeful. I looked at this before deciding to retain the conventional drive belt instead, the reason I stayed OEM was simply the cost vs how often I've changed the pump over the years. It would be a better engineering solution but I didn't reckon it would be worth it for the mileages I do.

If you've not used them before, Burton Power have been very good whenever I've used them (several times over the last 2-3 years) but it's heading for Christmas and most of the UK shuts down then !

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,December 22, 2020, 01:41:22 PM »
 :I-agree: especially about Burton Power. I've ordered a few things from them and they've been good.

I'm surprised that Ken at Dave Bean couldn't help you out!

I would also recommend calling lotus-supplies.com. If they are anything like Richard, they don't do email very well.

Offline Footer

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,December 22, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »
Thanks EuropaTC, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I agree with your thoughts to stay with the original setup.  My TC hasn't been on the road yet, but I can't imagine I will be putting that many miles on it once it is road worthy.  Was thinking of this replacement because of long term chances of having to service the pump but did not know the price.  Now that I do, I'll probably stay with the OEM pump.

Bda, I was also surprised that Ken Grey wasn't able to help.  He said that he had no expectation of getting the appropriate size for me back in the early fall and again when I talked with him today.  Don't understand what happened with the supply chain. He has been very helpful to me and quite accommodating with other things I have ordered.

Thanks again!

Bob

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,December 22, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »
Was thinking of this replacement because of long term chances of having to service the pump but did not know the price.  Now that I do, I'll probably stay with the OEM pump.

Hi Bob,

On staying with the OEM belt drive, one thing that has been mentioned is that the bad reputation was with the TC engine installed in Elans/Cortinas and folks adjusting the drive belt too tight with the alternator/dynamo brackets. IIRC according to Mike Walters (?) at a Club Lotus seminar many years ago they never had problems with Europa engines because you couldn't adjust the belt !

On the subject of drive belts, when I replaced my pump recently I felt the new replacement belt was too tight. I did some research on industrial belts and found a couple that were fractionally looser once installed. If you find a similar problem, my notes are here

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4128.0

Still on the subject of pump failure though, one thing that has cropped up is the theory that because the cars are no longer used daily and often have long periods of storage, the mechanical seal sticks and causes weeping. I think it's also mentioned in Miles Wilkins book or maybe something he's said.   I've not seen that personally but it's worth bearing in mind and I do try to run my TC engines on a regular basis.  I only mention it because if this is the current "favourite" failure mode, then a cogged drive belt isn't going to help.....

Brian

Offline Footer

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,December 23, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
Thanks Brian, lots of good information and your documentation is great.
I agree with you about the "belt pressure" issues being specific to those applications that involve other driven things like alternators, etc.  I'd have to reread the book, but I think Miles Wilkins downplayed the idea of premature water pump failure in the Europa.

My reason for looking at the Gilmer drive was to eliminate both inappropriate pressure and belt slippage.  Since my motor is already out, motor removal wasn't an issue.  Up until yesterday, I was not aware of the cost for this Gilmer drive being in the $200 plus range.  That and my expectation that I'll only put a couple thousand miles per year on the car leads me back to the OEM parts which I have in hand already.  That came with the car.

Merry Christmas.

Bob

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,December 23, 2020, 05:47:22 PM »
I think the gilmer belt setup is cool but $200+ is a lot to pay for boy racer points - especially when nobody will likely ever see it!

I have one on my motor that Dave Bean built for me and back in 1980, it only cost $48!! It seems cheap now but back then, it was real money! It can be jarring to look back at old receipts!

Offline Nisswa Collision

• Gordon Nachbar Restoration, Nisswa Collision & Restoration
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,December 26, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »
You save half of the cost of going to Gilmer drive if you do it at the same time as installing the removable pump. You just order the pump with gilmer drive.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,December 27, 2020, 04:38:54 AM »
If you know the shaft sizes you might be able to spec your own Gilmer-style kit from these guys: https://www.sdp-si.com/products/Timing-Belt-Pulleys/index.php I use timing belt drives pretty regularly for robotics projects. Aluminum alloy pulleys and kevlar reinforced urethane belts should be lighter, stronger and cheaper than the aftermarket alternative.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Footer

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,December 27, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »
More good information and I appreciate it, thanks guys.
Thanks for your point Nissan. Your point of getting the GIlmer drive at a reduced price helps, but last time I checked, Beans cartridge kit was three or four times the cost of the Gilmer drive by itself.  I decided that rebuilding my original pump is good for me and I'm staying on that track.

Surfer, your suggestion is interesting but more technical than I'm comfortable with.  Again, the cost might be more than I want to spend.  Thanks for the site address, it might come in handy for me later.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,December 27, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »
I think if you can give gilmer belt folks what you are trying to do, the shaft diameters, how far apart they are and that a half inch belt is the usual width, they could probably help you with the details. It might be an interesting call no matter what happens.