Author Topic: Gearbox disassembly  (Read 496 times)

Offline Blitzen

Gearbox disassembly
« on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »
So I’ve decide to proceed with the NG3 conversion and the can’t split the 352 cases. Bellhousing and rear cover are removed and all the bolts on top and bottom the cases are removed but the cases are stuck together.  I’ve broken all the plastic faces of my mallets and mangled the ruuber ones.  Any suggestions?

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Gearbox disassembly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »
It would be helpful in posting some pictures of the gearbox as it now sits. I had the same problem splitting the cases for my 336. With my pictures, JBC was able see the problem, I had missed a couple of bolts on the center of the box. With the bolts removed, the case split with a few whacks of the mallet.

Doublecheck and make sure that all of your bolts are removed.

https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2213.msg20774#msg20774

« Last Edit: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 03:23:10 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »
It would be helpful in posting some pictures of the gearbox as it now sits. I had the same problem splitting the cases for my 336. With my pictures, JBC was able see the problem, I had missed a couple of bolts on the center of the box. With the bolts removed, the case split with a few whacks of the mallet.

Doublecheck and make sure that all of your bolts are removed.

https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2213.msg20774#msg20774

Doh, my facepalm moment.   :headbanger:   Thanks, I did the exact same thing as you.   A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
I'm sure that if there we two, there were others in the past who made the same mistake.

Kind of a reminder, when you take the cases apart, be aware that the differential and the gear cluster sort of naturally "nestle" in one half of the case (I don't remember which side), the other case half fits over the lot. Also be careful in removing the case, make sure no spacers, gears or other bits fall out as the case is lifted.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 11:09:06 PM »
 :I-agree:
You need the box laying as shown, (note this is a 365)  - you will be able to simply lift out the diff/final drive assembly and the the 1st and 2nd motion shafts plus selector forks will stay in place.