Author Topic: Girling Remote Servo  (Read 572 times)

Offline Dilkris

Girling Remote Servo
« on: Wednesday,December 16, 2020, 12:16:56 AM »
I have just received a quote of some £350 ( CAD590 or US$465) to overhaul a Girling PowerStop 5156 Mk11B remote servo.  :WTF:
Is this realistic as for me it seems almost obscene. Is this really the "going rate" ?
I wish to retain "a" servo within the system and am well aware of the threads describing what is involved in taking it out, (differing brake pedal pivot points/smaller master cylinders etc etc), but are there alternatives to spending what I honestly consider to be a huge sum of money for such a service.?
I have been told that "Lockheed" equivalents exist but also advised that many of these are of questionable origin and quality.
Has anyone got any links/advice/recommendations to give me in order to get me over this hurdle?   

Offline buzzer

Re: Girling Remote Servo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,December 16, 2020, 12:39:00 AM »
You can get a repair kit for about £60, if the bores are ok and there are YouTube videos on how to do it. I rebuilt mine. Alternately a smaller master cylinder can be used and quite a few on here have done that mod.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,December 16, 2020, 08:24:26 AM »
Prior to installing rear discs and other subsequent mods, I ran with a Lockhead servo for many years. Looking back I see it was in 1988 and it was still there in 2012 when I converted to a 0.7 dual circuit system and took it out.

Other than altering the pipework I don't think there was anything else to installing the Lockhead servo. The ratios were higher than the Girling (I think mine was intended for the MGB ?) and I suppose that's the only concern if you want to retain the exact brake feel.

But £350 ? Heck, that's some overhaul. I guess it all depends how much you value the originality aspect.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,December 16, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »
I second EuropaTC's comment. I have Lockheed boosters on my car and they work very well but many people prefer to go to a smaller master cylinder. You get a bit more pedal travel but probably similar results. The boosters should be easy enough to find at suppliers for British Leyland car parts.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,December 16, 2020, 09:56:25 AM »
I have installed the Lockheed replacements with no issues.  Buy from a reputable supplier.

I happily run a single circuit with an 0.070 master, standard issue in the early cars and all Europe bound production.  Some originally US bound cars were sold in Europe which is why some European vehicles have dual circuit systems.

Hard to say if the quote is unreasonable unless we know the scope of the work.  If they have stripped the unit and found lots wrong, it could get expensive indeed.

35 years in the trade and I do not install "rebuilt" brake masters and boosters.  These have a very, very high failure rate.  I took one apart that had been "rebuilt" and it had been assembled improperly such that it applied pressure the wrong way!  Rock hard pedal with no brakes!!  Lots and lots of sinking pedals after so-called "overhauls".  I only fit new masters and boosters.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,December 17, 2020, 05:46:48 AM »
Thanks everyone - all comments noted and appreciated.