Author Topic: 5 Speed 365 Gearbox  (Read 2651 times)

Offline TheKid#9

5 Speed 365 Gearbox
« on: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »
Hey Everyone,

It seems that I have any issue with my differential. I may need a gearbox or parts to fix it. I am unsure of where to go for parts or a spare gearbox.

I haven't taken the Europa to my mechanic yet but I have a real good feeling it is the diff. It shifts smoothly but when driving, it has a loud clank. This is the only issue I have had with my Europa since the restoration and we did not go through the gearbox during the restoration. 9 years of ownership and this is the only thing that has broken... Not bad!

Thanks,

Offline BDA

Re: 5 Speed 365 Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
 Hey Kid!

Sorry you’re having trouble. Can you tell us when you hear the clank? What are you and/or the car doing when it makes the noise? How often? Anything you can say about it.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 06:21:01 PM »
Hey BDA,

It clanks either going forward or in reverse. It is loud. It comes on and off, so its definitely in the rotation which I believe it is in the diff. Suspension is good and all the rear shocks/springs are new so I know it is in the gearbox.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 06:41:02 PM »
Does it clank continuously as you motor down the road or as you backup? Or does it clank once? When you shift? Is there anything else you can tell us about it?

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 07:41:41 PM »
I have been in talks with Michel from Alpine America about parts for 365. Give him a try mguegan@alpine-america.qc.ca

http://www.alpine-america.qc.ca/

Sadly I don't even think my 365 is good for parts at this point.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
Michel’s English is good but his accent is very thick. Unless your French is good, I’d advise you to email him in French using Google translate.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 08:32:02 PM »
Michel’s English is good but his accent is very thick. Unless your French is good, I’d advise you to email him in French using Google translate.

Oui

I was able to talk with him on the phone in English but I am somewhat used to hearing an accent.
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 15, 2020, 08:33:45 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 02:57:13 AM »
Chris, Bearing123 has all the bearings you need and they are very inexpensive compared to anyone else. Once you have the transaxle apart you can get all the bearing numbers off them and provide Bearing 123 with the numbers. They do not supply cheap Asian knockoffs. They even had a bearing for my transaxle that I was told isn’t manufactured anymore.

One time I spoke with the owner (he is European but speaks good English) and we both had a certain bearing in our hands with a micrometer to confirm dimensions. Great customer service!

Alpine America has specific knowledge of these Transaxles so they can be more helpful, but Bearing123 has much lower prices.

Good luck!

Offline Roger

« Reply #8 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 06:19:39 AM »
You're sure it's not a u/j? Jack up one rear wheel, car in gear, and rotate wheel to and fro. Then try other side. Any help?

Offline cwtech

« Reply #9 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 06:47:13 AM »
The description of the problem is rather vague.

I would check for worn splines in hubs/stub axles, worn stub axle bearings, and worn u-joints before ripping into the transaxle.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #10 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 08:16:46 AM »
Chris, Bearing123 has all the bearings you need and they are very inexpensive compared to anyone else. Once you have the transaxle apart you can get all the bearing numbers off them and provide Bearing 123 with the numbers. They do not supply cheap Asian knockoffs. They even had a bearing for my transaxle that I was told isn’t manufactured anymore.

One time I spoke with the owner (he is European but speaks good English) and we both had a certain bearing in our hands with a micrometer to confirm dimensions. Great customer service!

Alpine America has specific knowledge of these Transaxles so they can be more helpful, but Bearing123 has much lower prices.

Good luck!
I have had great service from Bearing 123 too for my GT40. Ships quick even from Belgium and cheap prices.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #11 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »
It is almost a continuous clank and it is definitely coming from inside the gearbox. It shifts fine though. While we take it all apart I will replace the wheel bearings as well. I do not think it is anything with the u-joints or axles.

Glen - I'll check out Bearing 123 as I have heard of Alpine-America before.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
Bearing123 has the Renault pinion bearing?

Not sure what is causing the noise but STOP DRIVING IT.  If it is in the diff, and making that much noise, it is seconds away from grenading.  Lift it up the rear and support it safely.  Clunking like that should be easy to find. Wiggle everything up, down and sideways until you find it.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #13 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
One option, if it does turn out to be in the diff, is to fit a Torsen diff from Quiafe.  I did with mine and have been delighted.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #14 on: Monday,November 16, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »
I will keep you all updated on the process but as of right now it is sitting in the garage awaiting room at my mechanics shop.