Author Topic: Windshield in 69 s2  (Read 419 times)

Offline Gary t

Windshield in 69 s2
« on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »
I am working on  rubber mouldings  what  do I do with the  corners? I am not  skilled enough to get them smooth enough for CA glue to work. Is there a better, easier glue  to use.
What about headliner I have it wrapped around the edge of the roof, seems bulky.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline Clifton

Re: Windshield in 69 s2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 01:27:19 PM »
I did not glue mine. I talk to Richard at Banks. I cut all mine a little long so when they shrink everything will still be tight. I barely put my headliner in, not the foam though. It is a lot of work. Do you have a plastic windshield tool and a trim insertion tool? I had my wife help, no way to do it solo.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
CA glue is still the best for corners. Make cardboard miter pattern and trace it on the rubber gasket. Use a very sharp box cutter for miter cut. Clamping gasket down to a workbench top helps. Use dremel tool with small abrasive disc to correct any irregularities. Cuts have to be close to glue, but not absolutely perfect. Make lengths a little long rather than short.
If headliner seems too bulky with gasket trim extra that wraps around roof lip.

Online Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 05:25:05 PM »
Putting a smear of glycerine on the box cutter blade makes it slide easily through the rubber. It's completely water soluble, so don't worry about residue affecting the glue.

By CA do you mean CyanoAcrylate? Superglue? I would think that was too brittle for rubber.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
Agree with Kendo - CA glue is going to be brittle.

Something like "3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" is flexible and much better able to conform to the imperfect surfaces of the joint.
And it's black, so also has some 'hiding' ability.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 08:03:55 PM »
I know CA glue is hard but it does hold on. I bought a tube of 3m 08008 but have not been able to get a reasonable bond with it. I have a test with polyurethane sealant. I'll see how that goes in the morning.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 26, 2020, 08:11:24 PM by Gary t »
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 27, 2020, 02:43:59 PM »
   This is aircraft quality sealant. It sticks to everything but with care it can be formed with clear Mylar or clear tape . Pure black in color. After drying it can be cut somewhat.
  I will be using it in a few days for the quarter window and rear window seal. It comes in different quantities and has a shelf life . It’s a two part mix , after mixing waste is garbage. Since I only need a small amount to join the cuts I’m going to split up the product and activator into 4 equal proportions .
  I have suggested this to others and they had good results and reviews.
AC 251-B3 Black made by 3 M . 
Dakazman

Online Kendo

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 27, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »
On Dakazman's suggestion a few months ago, I used that stuff on my door window rubber. Excellent material.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,August 27, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »
The polyurethane sealant is not an adhesive. But it is a very good sealant I used it on the quarter windows and they haven't leaked a drop, I'll see what happens when it goes outside for the first time.
I have read about a flexible glue that is supposed to work on rubber
 A test will start tomorrow.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173