Author Topic: Drive shaft universal joints  (Read 379 times)

Offline buzzer

Drive shaft universal joints
« on: Monday,June 29, 2020, 02:46:25 PM »
I have had some recent fun with driveshaft UJs.  I was sorting out the squeaking on the rear shocks ( which I fixed by fitting heat shrink sleeve around the shock absorbers )  I found some play up and down on the rear wheels and traced it to outer drive shaft UJs. I actually found some play in both sides. About maybe 1/8 th inch top and bottom at the rim on one side and 1/16 th the other. I didn’t bother accurately measuring but considered this was more than it should be!  So set about changing them. I already had one UJ so changed that and it went ok. The other one I got a replacement from lotus supplies (the guys who took over from Banks). Rebuilt it and the play was still there so strip out again ( take note rebuild without loctite to check first! Schoolboy error)  . In checking I found the New UJ  had play in it. I actually in the mean time ordered a couple of UJs from Rimmer’s as spares. These were half the price and heavy duty units as the cups are longer length. These were Triumph TR6 units. I used one these to replace the lotus supplies one.  Lotus supplies supplied a GKN Unit. and to be fair to lotus supplies I emailed in the evening, got a replay within an hour to say they were sending a replacement, which I though was great service. But I will be using the Rimmer units for any other UJs as these were half the price and better quality.
Has anyone else have problems with quality of UJs? 
As an aside story that made me chuckle. When I worked at Vandevell bearings in the 70 and talking to the guys who looked after the 47. GKN 47 on the road they told me that Colin Chapman refused to put GKN nuts and bolts on the car as they were rubbish and the first thing they had to do was to change all the nuts and bolts after delivery. 
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Online BDA

Re: Drive shaft universal joints
« Reply #1 on: Monday,June 29, 2020, 02:58:08 PM »
I didn't know that GKN had such a poor reputation (at least with Chunky)!

Here is the Golden Gate Lotus Club cross reference for TC U-joints: Hardy Spicer K5 GB161
(TR3, TR4, TR4A, TR250, TR6, Volvo 164). I haven't heard anything bad about Hardy Spicer.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 29, 2020, 10:39:00 PM »
The last  ones I fitted and the two spares on my shelf were/are Hardy Spicer units, and they are very, very old NOS now !  AFAIK Hardy Spicer has been a subsidiary of GKN for years and even though mine are old they are probably from the same GKN manufacturing plants.

I didn't notice a problem with those although I have had bearings which came with too much play for my liking. At the time I just put it down to poor quality manufacturing but since I discovered that you can get the same dimension bearing with different clearances now I suspect it was just poor specifying by the vendor.   (every day is a school day, even at my age  ;)  )

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 06:51:43 AM »
Problems with play in new u-joints has been an ongoing issue in these small sizes.  I don't know how many times I have changed the swing arm u-joint on a Spitfire only to have it still knocking!  GMG are the worst in this regard.  GKN used to be one of the few good ones.  Hopefully your issue is a one off.  I have also had good results with SKF