Author Topic: Adjusting Banks Door Hinges  (Read 523 times)

Offline Luciano1985

Adjusting Banks Door Hinges
« on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 07:14:44 AM »
Hello Guys
I've bought the banks cooper hinges the ones without a pin and im having a frizzy time adjusting them
I've made the mistake of not adjusying the doors prior to paint and now I can't simply get them to work
I also have  new door seals that make the job harder
I've got tones of scraches allready on the edges of the doors
Has anybody successfully installed them?
Any tips or tricks? I have all the wrenches required made!
Left door is hitting in the upper corner of the door
Right door dosent close and its also uniligned!
I have been on it for more than a week with no luck
https://youtu.be/jt_IGCSQnws

Offline jbcollier

Re: Adjusting Banks Door Hinges
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 08:14:32 AM »
Remove the door seal and door latch.  Mask door edges and the edges of the door aperture with painter's masking tape.  Once you're happy, fit the latches and adjust.  Last, door seal.  It may require trimming or even replacement with a thinner seal.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 08:32:54 AM »
The only think I would add is to use a jack to hold the door at a good height (good is relative and likely to change as you adjust). The more variables you can hold steady, the better. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea how to hold the other variables steady. Small adjustments and careful checks are in order. I found a 1 1/4" deep socket on a 3/8 ratchet to be very useful but shortened wrenches are likely as good.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »
I second removing the seals and latch. You will be fighting them. Buy some blue or purple tapeif the paint is fresh (delicate surfaces) and cover everything that might touch.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
Get an assistant, too. A few weeks ago I did both doors with my son's help. One inside, one outside of the car.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 12:34:54 PM »
How big is your son, Kendo? I've wished I could shim the door to the fit I want and then just tighten it up but I don't know how anybody could position themselves to access the hinges from inside the car - even the Lotus position wouldn't be enough!

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »
Also sort out spanner’s to fit so you easily adjust. You will likely need to grind down some open ended spanner’s to fit.   Prefit the pins in the bobbins both top and bottom before you start, these may need relieving to fit Put plenty of tape around the bottom mount bobbin. Install the hinges in a mid position in the door with the top pin flush and the bottom pin slightly proud. This helps locate the door then level the door up and screw up the top pin to locate the top bobbin.  Also make sure the pin threads are free so you can do them up by hand.

Good luck
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Kendo

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
My son's a slim 6'2". BUT, I also have the seats out. So he fit in there just fine. No latches or seals either. And I taped all around the door edges to avoid scratches. So, what everyone else said...

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,June 30, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
A picture of your son at work might be useful!  :)

Offline Clifton

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,July 01, 2020, 06:59:22 AM »
I made this video a while back. It probably won't help you now but once they are adjusted it is easy to remove the door without loosing the adjustment other than up and down and that is quick and easy. Maybe someone will see this post in the future when searching for Banks hinges. If so adjust your Banks hinges before body work and painting and then reinstalling the doors after paint will take a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVGllr0Efbg