Author Topic: shocks and springs  (Read 1083 times)

Offline BDA

shocks and springs
« on: Thursday,August 30, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »
Recently, there was some discussion about adjusting AVO shocks on the yahoo group and before that, somebody there suggested adjusting shocks to help clear a highway speed handling issues. That got me to thinking. I have some highway speed handling issues too so it seems likely that shock adjustments may be part of the cure.

When driving around town or even some spirited driving, my car behaves pretty well. At highway speeds (or faster) it requires a lot of attention to steering input. The feeling is that small inputs would cause unpleasant results.

I'm using SPAX shocks (dampers) that I bought in the '90s and 250#/130# springs as Richard suggested - he did not suggest any shock adjustments. These spring rates have been discussed previously here and there are no ride quality issues. The car tracks straight so I am pretty sure my front and rear toe are correct or at least it's not the problem.

Now that I'm thinking about what shock adjustments might be indicated, I'm wondering if springs might require a much stiffer shock adjustments so I thought I'd see what shocks and springs others are using and what their experiences are.

Offline Pfreen

Re: shocks and springs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,August 30, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
My experience with a tcs.  My car used to be a handfull on the expressway.  Not fun.  It handled great in town.  Right now, I am so pleased with the handling both around town and on the expressway.

Here is what I did.  I have the springs and shocks from SJS.  The shocks are set to the middle adjustment.  With these shocks and springs, I lowered the front, per what others did on this blog.  This caused the camber to be -2 degrees which I could not adjust out with my slotted top A arms.  So, I installed adjustable top A arms from Europa Engineering.  I adjusted the front camber to 0 degrees.  I also made some from bearing spacers, which eliminate front wheel bearing play and makes the front wheels track true.  The front and rear toe in is set to specifications per the manual.  I also installed new tires.  185hr70-13 rear and 175hr70-13 front from Achilles.  Also new A arm bushings in the front.  I am not autocrossing, but the car is fairly easy to drive in the crazy South Florida expressways. And I can beat just about any car on the expressway entrances and exits, which is the only way to go around corners fast in South Florida.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 30, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
Thanks Pfreen. That's useful. If I can't get my SPAX and springs (I have some other spring rates I've collected) to work, it's nice to know that a "canned" solution is available. I already have Richard's adjustable upper A-arms so it should be a pretty easy conversion.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 30, 2018, 03:58:38 PM »
My theory is that the camber causes a side load, and combines with the lightness of the front end and the front bearing play and  cause the front end to wander at speed.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 30, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
I'll check the float on my front hubs to see if that might be a problem. A complete alignment will, of course, be performed when I put the car back together. Thanks!

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #5 on: Friday,August 31, 2018, 12:51:16 AM »
I must give some credit ti Richard Hill.  He just posted some thoughts on this on the Yahoo blog.  I communicated with him on the bearing spacers 8 months ago when the car was a wanderer..