Author Topic: Speedometer cable  (Read 825 times)

Offline fulmine

Speedometer cable
« on: Thursday,March 02, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
Hello, i need to change the speedometer cable on my TC rhd, is it easy? I don't have a workshop in my garage  :help: so no special tools, i can only lift the back with a jacking tool and use the "lotus position" to put hands behind the dashboard  :)) any help is appreciated!
Lotus Europa Twin Cam 1972

Offline BDA

Re: Speedometer cable
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 02, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
I have a LHD Europa but I would think you should be able to change it. You may need to access the cable through the arm rest and you will probably have to take the console cover off anyway. I would disconnect it from both ends and tug on it to determine if it's screwed down anywhere but I suspect if it is, it's likely anchored in the rear.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 02, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
If you have thin arms and take out the centre console then it's not so bad. The engine bay section on mine goes along one of the legs on the Y fork, down into the central tunnel and emerges into the cabin under the console to feed behind the dash. 

I don't think you'll need to lift the car at all if you fit the new one starting inside the cabin and feeding it down the tunnel. (but I have skinny arms, anyone with muscles might struggle   :)  )

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 02, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »
Do not go under the car unless it is supported on jack stands!  Once lost a customer that way.  Wasn't pretty.

Offline fulmine

« Reply #4 on: Friday,March 03, 2017, 02:07:02 AM »
Thanks everybody and sure i have jack stands. I ordered the new cable from sj. So i'll try to do it alone.

Offline pboedker

« Reply #5 on: Friday,March 03, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
When I replaced mine, I tried to be smart and attached a string to the old cable before pulling it out the back of the chassis.

The string helped with pulling the cable into the center tunnel, but since the holes in the chassis and body were not very well aligned I never succeeded in the last part, pulling the cable end up behind the dash. After a lot of work and bad language the string snapped and I decided that I would never be able to get the cable through the holes. >:(

So I pulled the cable out again and started it from the front instead. After a lot of wiggling and pushing the cable came far enough into the tunnel that I could reach it from the hole under the arm rest. From there it was fairly easy to push through into the engine room. It all could be done without lifting the car, but with removal of the center console.
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline fulmine

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,March 07, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
Cable replaced!!! Speedometer now works!!! Thanks  :pirate: :beerchug: