Author Topic: TCS servo position  (Read 713 times)

Offline buzzer

TCS servo position
« on: Sunday,April 03, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
Guys, a bit of advice needed. I am fitting the servo in my TCS but as I am fitting 47type exhaust I can't fit the servo in its standard position the right way up. 
The question is can I fit the servo the other way up with the unions at the bottom rather than at the top. Will I be able bleed the system ok?

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: TCS servo position
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,April 03, 2016, 09:12:46 AM »
Hi Dave,

Is it the standard Girling with both inlet & outlet on the same side of the cylinder ?  If so, I think you might struggle with it upside down because air will float to the top of the cylinder. I suppose it depends what sort of angle you can get it at, but from memory I wouldn't be confident because you don't need much air to make the brakes feel awful. 

If it's the lockhead one where the outlet is at the end of the cylinder, then as long as it's pointing upwards I think you'd be ok.

Alternative idea - you could always fit the servo in the front by the spare wheel and run a vac. tube from the engine through the central tunnel. With an extra non-return valve in the line by the engine there shouldn't be too much lag, maybe the first time you brake but after that it should retain vac in the line for a while.

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,April 03, 2016, 09:32:20 AM »
Brian,
Looks like I can mount in vertically and still get the pipes to fit. Its a girling unit. The high point being on of the unions so should bleed ok, even if I have to break the union to do so.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,April 03, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
I mounted mine behind the rear fender well in that cavity between the fender and the tail lights on either side. There is a little plumbing involved, but it's not bad and they are out of the way. I have Lockheeds, but I don't think it should matter if you have Girlings. They are mounted on the fender side so the attachment bolts and aluminum sheet used to back up the fiberglass don't really show. They are also away from any heat.

If this interests you and you'd like some pictures, let me know.

Good luck!

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Monday,April 04, 2016, 05:32:38 AM »
BDA,

Thanks, that's an interesting location point, I will have a look and see how it fits.

Dave
Dave,

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,April 06, 2016, 04:21:10 AM »
If it was mine, I'd mount the servo  on the garage shelf and run without it. I can't understand why a Europa would need a servo, although I do realise they were factory fitted.