Author Topic: 5 speed leak  (Read 1602 times)

Offline rjbaren

Re: 5 speed leak
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,May 14, 2024, 10:20:49 AM »
Well, I removed the bracket, got everything apart, changed the seal, and "O"ring.  Then I drove around a little bit.  So now is the test of whether that will stop the leak.

Online Kendo

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,May 14, 2024, 10:39:40 AM »
May the dry be with you.  ;D

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,May 25, 2024, 08:40:06 AM »
Thank you, but the leak persists.  I think now it may be the gasket for the transaxle end cover is the culprit.  I assume this cannot be done in place.

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,May 25, 2024, 10:12:48 AM »
It's been a long time since I had a 365, which is what I expect you have, but I think you can get the end cover off without pulling the tranny out of the car. I think after you unbolt the rear mounting plate from the frame, you can take the mounting plate off the end cover and by raising or lowering the rear of the tranny I think you'll be able to the end cover off.

Be careful to keep the detent ball and spring for the 5th/R detent that lives under the little plastic cover. I don't know if you can get the spacer plate off.

It's not necessary to use a gasket. You can use a good RTV (room temperature vulcanizing silicone) sealant. Permatex makes a specific RTV for synthetic oils and one for gear oil. When I rebuilt my NG3 tranny, I asked Permatex which one I should use. They recommended the Permatex Gear Oil RTV which I used and it has worked great.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,May 25, 2024, 01:19:19 PM »
Yes, you can remove the cover in situ.

READ THE MANUAL CAREFULLY

If disassembled improperly, you will drop a detent ball inside the main casings, not good!