Author Topic: Is this blower assy really from a Europa?  (Read 408 times)

Offline FourLoti

Is this blower assy really from a Europa?
« on: Thursday,November 02, 2023, 07:24:06 AM »
Hi:  I assumed the original heater blower on my TCS was beyond saving so I bought a used one online from an individual. It works fine but actually has different mounting brackets and the motor body is about an inch longer (taller) than my original. The fan body dimensions are the same, but this one has internally connected wiring with a waterproof connecter that looks to be a lot more modern than the spade connectors on my old one. My car is a '74, so unless they upgraded the wiring technology just for '75, I can't figure out what I have here.

The point behind all this is that while waiting on the replacement, I decided to dissect my original and was able to revive it. I'm keeping my car as original as possible so I now would like to sell this one. Problem is, I don't know what to call it. I looked at the heater set ups for early Esprits, Eclats, etc. and they are much different.

Smiths FHB 5302 brings up parts for MGB's and Midgets, so I can always advertise by part number, but seeing that it appears to have been an Europa-type set up (ie.g., the foam gasket) I'd like to make sure it's not of interest to this community. And also I'm just curious about it.

Thanks,

Ron

PS. Writing this gave me another thought. Could have originally come from an MG and swapped into a Europa long ago?
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline Kendo

Re: Is this blower assy really from a Europa?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 02, 2023, 10:06:45 AM »
I have a '73 TCS. The snail case looks right. But that connector is like nothing I have seen on my car. The bracket looks different, too. I like your theory that it's from a different car, swapped into your car, which would account for the foam gasket.

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,January 10, 2024, 07:53:39 AM »
Hi: I decided to put this up for sale on eBay with no reserve as a possible part for an MG or Triumph, but just pulled the listing because it occurred to me I should let everyone here know about its availability first. By swapping out the brackets and rubber isolators, it fits right in as a replacement for the stock Europa unit. But from bench testing, it seems to put out a much higher volume of air than my original fan - consistent with the larger motor.

I wanted to keep everything original on my car, but for those who drive their cars a lot, more air flow might be desirable. I'm going to post this in Classifieds next and will take the first $40 plus shipping offer. Happy to take it back if not satisfied.

Thanks,

Ron
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline tonylotus47

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,January 10, 2024, 10:20:00 AM »
If you intend to sell, what will you be doing to keep car original as you state? It looks just like what was in my 73 JPS Europa foam and all. As I seem to recall the mounting was crappy and the fan always sagged with the fan casing coming out of the hole.  My cure was to drill a hole in the upper most part above of where the mounting hole was and use a heavy piece of monofilament tied to fan to hold it up. But that was 50 or so years ago.  I would have done something more professional now.

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,January 10, 2024, 10:41:39 AM »
Sorry if my OP was confusing. The one I'm selling is not the original one from my car. I was able to fix my original and it's in place just as it left the factory. This "replacement" that I bought is now surplus to me.

Ron
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)