Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

Starting with clutch replacement

<< < (2/2)

Bryan Boyle:

--- Quote from: jlmullen2 on Monday,May 16, 2022, 02:38:47 PM ---Brian - I replaced the release bearing on my 352 box recently. Not too difficult once you have the transmission out and accessible. The release  sits in a carrier which is held in place on the cross shaft. A wire spring holds the bearing holder in place. The spring hooks around the rear of the bearing holder. You need to pull the spring away from one side of the holder then the tension of the spring is released, allowing the holder to be free of the shaft. The bearing is a press fit into the holder. If you have a press and feel confident, you could probably press it out yourself. I don't have a press so had a machine shop press out the old bearing and press in the new one. I also lightly lubricated the shaft. The drawing on Section Q of the parts manual is pretty clear on what it looks like.

Larry

--- End quote ---

thanks Larry; that clears that up...the spring holds the carrier on...I have a shop down the block; may ask (as a favor or pay for the half hour labor?) if they'd press off and on.  The current bearing is not making noise, but i consider it false economy to not change it out while the thing is apart.  If not...I have a buddy in NJ who would probably humor me at his shop...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version