Lotus Europa Forums > Technical Articles and DIY tools and tips

More Progress...

(1/5) > >>

Bryan Boyle:
(Am I taking up too much bandwidth in this subforum?  I'll cut back if so...)

Got a lot more room in back of the rear cross-member now.  Helps to move the battery to where it belongs.  Lost about 5' of positive battery cable (hey, every little bit, even at that gauge of wire, helps).  Reterminated both the positive and ground cables, Penetrox on the bare wire before attaching the new battery terminals.  Cleaned up the frame end (actually, it's attached to one of the bell housing bolts) of the ground.  Threw a quick leveling charge on the battery (yeah, they come charged...but aren't harmed by leveling it.).  Waiting for the bolts to come in to the local NAPA store to build the hold-down clamp, but, since she's up on stands right now...it's just sitting in place.

So...now have a spare tray that is built to hang on the cross member and pick up the tranny mount bolt on the rubber isolator on the same side.  Toss?  Mount a waterproof box on it and use for tool caddy?  Give away?  Decisions, decisions.

And...getting things lined up for the next project.  Caliper rebuild.  New greenstuff pads.  new flex hoses.  Then Eezbleed the system to see if I get pedal.  If not, and it's a roached MC...have an F10 and Spitfire to choose from.  But...that's the "next on the agenda".  Oh, yeah, put new floor and under the seat carpets in a couple days ago.  Not the same weave, and the existing is a bit faded...but, for now...it looks ok and I can live with it for a while.

New dashboard was delivered (thanks, Richard!) to my PA residence...will bring back on next trip up here...and successfully removed the "Special 142" badge without ruining it.  Somethings sometime just work out.

BDA:
Yes, you're using too much bandwidth!!! (says the guy who has almost 8000 posts!)

It's not my forum but I don't think you could use too much bandwidth. Jeez, if LotusJoe hasn't slapped me yet, there can't be a limit!

Great progress! I would say that even if your M/C is bad, Whitepost Restorations (https://whitepost.com/#hometop) would be able to resurrect it with a new brass sleeve that should last a lifetime. That is if you want to keep the M/C you have. Your choice, of course.

Thanks for the pictures!

Sandyman:
Bryan, when it comes to documenting your rebuild I love the detail you go into. Sounds like you don't have the rear luggage bin. I personally vote for a water proof box mounted behind the cross member.
Sandy

Bryan Boyle:

--- Quote from: BDA on Thursday,May 05, 2022, 11:38:33 AM ---Yes, you're using too much bandwidth!!! (says the guy who has almost 8000 posts!)

It's not my forum but I don't think you could use too much bandwidth. Jeez, if LotusJoe hasn't slapped me yet, there can't be a limit!

Great progress! I would say that even if your M/C is bad, Whitepost Restorations (https://whitepost.com/#hometop) would be able to resurrect it with a new brass sleeve that should last a lifetime. That is if you want to keep the M/C you have. Your choice, of course.

Thanks for the pictures!

--- End quote ---

I was thinking that if I had to switch out the MC, sending the old one down and have it sleeved (which is why, to the best of my ability, if I do have to swap in the spit or F10 MC, I'll just make mating jumpers to the existing rather than cutting and re-ending the existing (at least, until I get around to completely replumbing the beast).

If I do go with the f10, it is set up for remote reservoirs, so, I'll have to dig through the Tilton catalogue and get the bits; the spit is complete with the reservoir on the cylinder, so...lots of options.

Bryan Boyle:

--- Quote from: Sandyman on Thursday,May 05, 2022, 12:55:35 PM ---Bryan, when it comes to documenting your rebuild I love the detail you go into. Sounds like you don't have the rear luggage bin. I personally vote for a water proof box mounted behind the cross member.
Sandy

--- End quote ---

I have a couple spare luggage boxes from previous efforts; same part number post S1 (which had the battery box), so I'm good for now...;) for the S2 and TC(S) (54B0059).

The more I think of it...source a marine battery box that fits the tray...remount it, and throw spares and an emergency tool and first aid kit in it.  I usually put in threaded fittings so I can attach the luggage box with long 1/4-20 screws; having a place to put tools, supplies, and the normal ash and trash you accumulate in the trunk might be a winner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version