Author Topic: Anti freeze recommendations  (Read 656 times)

Offline Gmg31

Anti freeze recommendations
« on: Thursday,May 03, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
Anyone got any advice re  anti freeze for the aluminium Renault angine please. 
Has anyone used Evans waterless coolant.  I have it in my M100 and love it but not so sure in my Europa.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Anti freeze recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,May 03, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
I use the blue stuff used in current Volvos, VWs, BMWs, etc.  Works very well with alloy engines and lasts a long, long time.

I tried Evans and waterless and it leaked out of the weirdest places.  Hose connects tight enough to distort the hose would have slow drips.  I flushed it all out and went with the above.  All the leaks stopped.

YMMV

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,May 03, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »
If you have good experiences with Evans coolant there's no reason why you shouldn't continue with it in your Europa, it will prevent corrosion and obviously isn't going to freeze solid.

In caution I'd note John's experiences which apparently aren't uncommon although I have no idea why it's more difficult to make seals with that particular fluid.  The "Evans vs Water+conventional A/F" has been debated in some depth on Lotuselan.net with a slim lead for conventional stuff.  From the posters I'd say far more folks use conventional antifreeze mixtures but that's just a guess.

Personally I use the blue stuff and change it regularly (as in every few years, not annually). It's cheap and I have that nice warm feeling of having done something positive !

I also use the OAT types in the Elise which according to the tin have a 5 year life as opposed to a 2 year life but I've never considered it worthwhile to run the older cars on the modern A/F.  If the cylinder heads have lasted 40+ years without corroding significantly on a plain water/glycol mix then I think they'll last long enough for me not to worry.

Technically water is the better heat transfer fluid and I'm not aware of any particular hot-spot areas with localised boiling on either the TC or Renault engines, which is where the Evans stuff has the edge. But.... you pays your money and takes your choice !   

Brian

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #3 on: Friday,May 04, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
John. What’s the brand name type for the “blue stuff”

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Friday,May 04, 2018, 06:26:29 PM »

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,May 05, 2018, 01:10:18 AM »
Thanks all your your views.