Author Topic: 5 speed leak  (Read 18 times)

Offline rjbaren

5 speed leak
« on: Today at 12:10:49 PM »
My twin cam special 5 speed has a drip from the trans.  It was rebuilt by a Lotus dealer and has since covered 1500 miles.  I have replaced the rear seal on the shifter rod twice and the second time I used a 1mm smaller bore seal and it made no difference.  I top up the fluis every month or two and I keep cardboard under the car to soak up the gear lube.

Is there a chance the trans is leaking from the joint in the case where the left and right halves meet? 

Offline FourLoti

Re: 5 speed leak
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:16:11 PM »
No experience with case seam leaks, but my 5-speed was leaking from two (3) sources. First, the speedometer cable drive gear fitting, and the other two were the left and right driveshaft output seals/o-rings. Seema as if any of those could have been disturbed or maladjusted in a rebuild?

Maybe hose off the box with a can of brake cleaner and then wait to see where the next drip(s) come from? They make UV detection dye that is supposed to be compatible with gear lube, but hopefully it will be obvious based on where the spots develop on the cardboard.

Ron
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline BDA

Re: 5 speed leak
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:48:18 PM »
One would hope it's not leaking from the case joint!!! Of course, that's always possible. It's very common to leak from the control shaft where shift inputs enter the case.

If your tranny is leaking from the finned adjusting nut, there are instructions elsewhere that describe how to replace the seal or o-ring. If it is the o-ring, one method that I don't think anybody has mentioned is to smear Hylomar on the threads. When I rebuilt my NG3, I ordered some new o-rings and got the wrong size  :(. My o-rings were probably just find as I hadn't had any leaks there but I figured the Hylomar would make double dog sure it wouldn't leak from the threads. Before loosening the finned nut, mark its position relative to the case and count the number of turns to take it off so you can get it back to the same orientation. Do one side at a time. Actually, I think snugging the finned nut will be all you really need to know but it's best to mark and count the turns.