Author Topic: Removing brake master cylinder  (Read 409 times)

Offline aspares

Removing brake master cylinder
« on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »
I have started to remove the brake master cylinder. Any tips on how the remove the box that it is attached to? I can get to 3 of the bolts but one is behind the rack, does the rack need to be moved out of the way? I assume I am missing something. Also replacing all pipes as the original steel ones have some rust.

Offline jlmullen2

Re: Removing brake master cylinder
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »
I just removed mine (TC) as I'm replacing it with an S2 MC to go with my Booster-less system.
First, unhook the clevis from the brake pedal (inside the footwell), then unhook the clevis from the pushrod.
Next move under the car and unhook the two brake lines going to the MC. I got most of the brake fluid out of the MC before doing this step to minimize fluid everywhere.
I also removed my sway bar as it was in the way.
Now you should have clear access to the MC. I removed the lower nut using a socket then moved to the upper nut (the one partially blocked by the steering rack). If using an assortment of 1/2" box and open end wrenches I was able to break the nut loose. You will only be able to turn the wrench about half a flat at a time. Have patience and don't rush it or you will round off the nut. In my case, the stud holding the upper nut decided to start coming out of the chassis instead of the nut coming off. I used some narrow pliers to hold the stud, allowing me to remove the nut.
The MC should be loose at this point and you can pull it down and out. The aluminum spacer block (between the MC and chassis) may remain stuck on the chassis but can be knocked  after the MC is out.
I'm not sure what you mean by 3 bolts holding the MC, it only has 2 (top and bottom).

Larry
Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »
If you have a TCS, removal is as Larry describes.If you have a S2, the four bolts securing the push rod extension box to the chassis can be removed using a wobbly extension and a socket and ratchet  from the front. Steering rack removal is not required but removing the closing plate is helpful especially during re-installation. It helps to remove the master cylinder first but is not essential.

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,July 07, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
Sorry for any confusion, thought you had a TC/TCS. Joji has both so clearly knows way more than I do. Actually I think he has all variations of the Europa.

Larry
Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX