Author Topic: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini  (Read 28640 times)

Online BDA

Re: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday,May 17, 2022, 07:36:15 AM »
Great write up and great pictures! You did very well in the first race! Sorry your second race didn’t go as well as the first.

I don’t know if your budget ca handle it, but those straight cut gear sets with the non synchro dog engagement would make a big difference.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #181 on: Tuesday,May 17, 2022, 07:39:57 AM »
Congratulations on the improvement!  And, “Whew!” that it was just a fuel pump.

Is it a specified tire series?

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #182 on: Tuesday,May 17, 2022, 07:44:18 AM »
Congratulations! The car looks awesome.  I am totally jealous of the fun you must be having.  Great to see that all of your hard work in race preparations have improved the Europa.

Offline cazman

« Reply #183 on: Tuesday,May 17, 2022, 10:23:47 AM »
On the road to success!
1973 Europa TCS

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday,May 18, 2022, 12:08:33 AM »
Great write up and great pictures! You did very well in the first race! Sorry your second race didn’t go as well as the first.

I don’t know if your budget ca handle it, but those straight cut gear sets with the non synchro dog engagement would make a big difference.
Yes, I have already requested a quote from a Renault Alpine tuner in Germany for such a straight cut gearbox. But they only do the rear engined stuff, which would mean 5 reverse gears for me. That's why I'm looking for a second gearbox (with shorter ratios) or a donor to improve my existing one. Right now, the 365 seems to be my best bet. But hard to find and expensive. Propably, I will have to go with only the Quaife diff now and hope to be able to source a 365 gearbox later.

The tires in BELCAR Historic Cup are not closely specified. Cars from 1971 and older need to use semi-slicks and everybody else is allowed to use slicks. That's a little bit unfair, as the period in my class goes from the year of Christ's birth until 1981. So it's possible that my direct oppenents are allowed to use slicks and I am not. Maybe there could be a loop hole for me to re-categorize my car to a 1972-ish configuration in order to use slicks. But all cars from January 1st 1972 onwards need to have roll cages with at least Ø42 mm tube diameter. Mine is Ø38 mm. Thus, a high price to pay. I guess, I'll try that, when I have to re-new the cage anyway.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #185 on: Wednesday,May 18, 2022, 06:26:17 AM »
Cars within the same class have different tires specified!?!?  How can that be fair?

I’m now VERY impressed with how well you have been doing!

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #186 on: Thursday,May 19, 2022, 02:42:25 AM »
Cars within the same class have different tires specified!?!?  How can that be fair?

I’m now VERY impressed with how well you have been doing!
Yeah, that's a bit strange. But it's really the case. The rule that cars younger than year 1971 are allowed to use slicks is written in the FIA Appendix K. BELCAR Historic Cup used to allow slicks only from 1982 onwards, but that was changed for the 2022 season to comply with FIA App. K regulations. Now there is a significant difference in conditions between cars in the same class. I hope that will be changed soon. Maybe even through a gentlemen's agreement to use the same type of tyre in this class, if the official way is not possible.

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2022, 03:30:09 AM »
My plans are shaping for the seasons 2022 and 2023. As it got clear during the first race event at Zolder, I'm still 2 or 3 seconds off the pace. The Toyota Celica GT Twin Cam, which won my class is able to lap Zolder in 1:55,288 min (not under all circumstances, in Q2 he did 1:58 min), while I managed a fastest lap of 1:58,155 min. The Toyota driver has its own Toyota dealership in Belgium, his father bought that very car in 1971 brand new and his family races it since. Thus, they know every detail of the car and had enough time to develop solutions for its weaknesses. That's why it's quite unlikely that he will have serious reliablility issues in the future. Circuit Zolder is soil for two more race events this season. That combined means that chances are high that I'll finish behind that Toyota over and over agian, when I race the whole season with the car in its present condition.

Of course, I still have a lot of room for improvement in my driving, especially when it comes to being consistent in lap times. My estimation is that I may be able to improve my personal best lap time by around 0.5 seconds, not much more. Even if I'd be able to lap in the region between 1:57.5 and 1:58.0 consistently every lap, I'd still be behind the Toyota. He is able to reproduce 1:56 on a regular basis with some 1:55s in between. That's why I'm planning to sacrifice the upcoming races at Zolder in order to save money and improve the car.

First step should be a Quaife limited slip diff (if feasible, after the next race at Spa) and the second step would be a new set of straight cut gears (during next winter). I guess that a good gearbox with useable (hence shorter) 3rd, 4th & 5th gear (top speed not higher than 200 kph) and limited slip diff could gain me around 2 seconds per lap in Zolder. I only use there 3rd and 4th in the moment. But there are at least three corners, in which my revs fell below 4500 RPM (which is where my torque starts to build massively), but it didn't make sense to shift down, because the steps between the gears are too big RN. I'd have to shift back up, when I'm still on the outside curb just after I got back on the throttle. And of course the advantage in straight line acceleration would gain me a lot of time. I hope that this improvement together with my (hopefully) continueosly improving driving will bring me in the position to beat the Toyota next year.

But as I'm of course also very keen to continue racing in 2022, I want to race at Spa-Francorchamps (June 22) and the Nürburgring (October 22) with my existing gearbox anyway. The data from Zolder shows that I'm slower during the lap, but faster on the long straights. I guess that my biggest disadvantage is acceleration out of slow corners. But the faster we get, the more I'm catching up and at some point get faster than the Toyota. Zolder has only quite short straights (max. 760 m) and three acceleration zones after very slow corners. With Spa, it's different: Spa has two straight-ish stretches (only one lift or slight braking event inbetween), which are double the length of the longest straight at Zolder. The long uphill Kemmel straight alone is 1300 m. In addition, Spa has only one point to accelerate out of a very slow corner and not the high frequency of heavy braking events such as Zolder. That's why I hope to have a chance at Spa. The Nürburgring is also a bit faster than Zolder, but not to the same extend. At least, I can use 5th gear there, too.

I'm going to do a free practice session at Spa on the Thursday before the race weekend. I want to get my driving up to a level, where I can set a competitive lap time during the very limited Qualifying session of 30 minutes. That way, I'm trying to avoid being already several places behind the class-leader at the start of the race (like it happened in Zolder). Only if I manage to reach that target, I can have the slightest chance to score at least one class win this year. And that is my only goal for the season 2022.

Maybe - only if the Quaife diff is feasible to be fitted before - I'll race in August at Zolder. I don't think that the diff alone will close the gap, but you will never win a race, which you don't attend to. If it's not feasible to add the Quaife diff, I'd propably save the registration fee for the straight cut gearbox modification. That will be quite expensive.

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday,May 25, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
Hi Stephan,

I have the Quaife 336 diff in my gearbox (untested). Be careful when you order it, you can get two variants! Measure the distance from the hole for the pin in the axle to the end of the output shaft. I had to send mine back to change it (free of cost, so good service!).

Let me know when you are in Spa or Zolder again, I would love to come and visit. Last time I couldn't get there because, but if I know far enough in advance, I can plan around it.

Serge

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #189 on: Thursday,May 26, 2022, 01:05:15 PM »
Hi Serge,

I'll be at Spa on June 24th - 26th for the Summer Classic. I'd like to meet you there.

The french company seems to be able to supply a real limited slip diff. When they confirm that their gearbox doen't have 5 reverse gears in my application, I'll order ASAP. Unfortunately, that will not be before early 2023. Expensive stuff.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #190 on: Thursday,May 26, 2022, 03:51:28 PM »
Let us know if they also do helical-cut gears!

Offline wnchillbilly

« Reply #191 on: Saturday,June 04, 2022, 04:35:22 AM »
This is simply sublime.

You sir, are inspirational.

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday,June 29, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »
After a very pleasant race weekend in Zolder, I had a big setback in Spa. With free practice, qualifying and two races, there was actually enough time for me to reach the limit in terms of driving. Unfortunately, things didn't go well right from the start.

In free practice the brake pedal felt really bad. I had previously installed new brake calipers on the front axle. By bleeding them several times, it was a bit better in qualifying, but the pedal could still be pumped up. Finally, I removed the calipers for bleeding and oriented the valve upwards as good as possible. Then the air finally went out. But the starting position was already ruined. I was in 45th position out of 60 starters and 2nd in the class 2B up to 1600 cm³. My lap time of 3:15 min was about 5-10 seconds below what I had hoped for. 3:10 min is the sum of my best sector times, but even there should be a lot of room for improvement. There was also a very fast Europa TC this weekend at Spa (English race series) that lapped 2:59 min. I don't think I can do that time myself. The Twin Cam has 180 hp and weighs 620 kg, but I think the 3:05 min range is realistic.

In the first race there was a serious eaccident in front of me shortly after turn 1. It happened to the leader of my class. Someone hit him on the right rear wheel and he spun to the right into the wall. Fortunately, everyone involved is in good health. Of course, the safety car came out, because the accident site on the straight down to the Eau Rogue had to be cleared. After the safety car period, I decided to just manage the race and bring home the full number of points for the class classification without taking any risks. But that was not as easy as expected. About two laps after the end of the safety car, I felt that the engine didn't rev up as good as normal and another lap later the monitor of the electric water pump showed 36°C. That was the temperature of the air in the system. This was the temperature of the air in the system, but not of water. Luckily I was at the end of the lap and was able to save myself to the pits with the rear end of the car steaming. I jumped out and took the bonnet off. The water hose that carries the hot water out of the engine to the radiator had slipped. Probably the clamp had come loose. I quickly put the hose back on, screwed the clamp on as tight as possible and my crew brought buckets of water from the box and filled it in. Fortunately, the electric pump can bleed the system without the engine running. After three buckets of water I jumped back in and got back on track just in time. It was just enough to finish 43rd overall and 1st in class in the classification.

I was lucky in disguise, because the oil was able to maintain some residual cooling due to its sheer volume (about 7 litres) and the good oil cooler. It was heated up to 120°C (normal in racing conditions is 95 - 100 °C). The large water radiator also helped, of course. Depending on the weather, I drive at 75 - 85 °C in racing mode. Before the water poured out of the car, it flowed through the engine at least one last time. I was terribly lucky.

Between the two race heats, I bled the car with new coolant and installed a new silicone hose with new clamps. The subsequent test run of the engine went well. That's why I was able to start the second race, which took place on Sunday in changeable weather. The monoposto drivers, who drove shortly before, told me about streams of water crossing the track. And since the forecast according to my app announced rather more rain, I decided to use rain tyres. Because you have to be at the pre-start 30 minutes in advance, the decision has to be made early. Unfortunately, mine was completely wrong. Already on the parade lap, the track was 80% dry. So I just wanted to drive through steadily without changing tyres. But unfortunately, at 8000 rpm, the impeller of the alternator broke and cut the cable between ignition coil and distributor. That was the end. DNF in race 2.

Because so much went wrong this weekend, I'm going to take a break to check and fix everything. The starter motor had also broken in the meantime, although I had just replaced it at the end of May. I will only drive the last race of the season at the Nürburgring in October. Until then, I will check up the whole engine. I have already ordered new rod and main bearings, as well as a gasket set. Now I'm still looking for a good quality starter and alternator. The entry fee for the missed races will be saved for upgrading the gearbox.

Enough letters, here are photos:

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #193 on: Wednesday,June 29, 2022, 07:22:13 AM »
Sorry to hear about your "challenges"! Trophy is always nice 8)

How did the Twin cam do in it's class?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #194 on: Wednesday,June 29, 2022, 07:59:13 AM »
I think you can “under-drive” the alternator and get it turning much slower by fitting a larger alt pulley.  Don’t really need that much charging.

Silicone hoses are slippery.  Rubber holds on better.  Does your connection have a retaining bead?