Author Topic: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini  (Read 28478 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini
« Reply #120 on: Thursday,May 13, 2021, 01:55:14 PM »
Your brake situation must have been harrowing! Thankfully you were able to keep from hitting anything. The car looks great and it sounds like you found the problem and the better news is that it was going to be fixed anyway! Your new brakes should make a big difference in your braking and your lap times. Sorry you'll miss two races but you should have a much better car and you should have that much more fun!

Good luck at Spa!!

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday,July 06, 2021, 06:44:01 AM »
The brake rebuild is underway. The front axle is ready with new wheel bearings, aluminum wheel hubs and ventilated brake discs. The rear axle already has new brake discs, calipers and pads. Only the adapter plates for the calipers are in manufacturing right now and then hopefully it will work.

I have already calculated a set-up for the new master cylinder configuration as both front and rear calipers have the same cross-sectional area of pistons. But my plan is to test the new brake configuration on track before my next race. The race is end of September at Spa-Francorchamps. The test should take place at Circuit Zolder, where I had the very disappointing race in May.

Offline BDA

« Reply #122 on: Tuesday,July 06, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
That’s an interesting front suspension, Mecky! Can you tell us about it?

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday,July 06, 2021, 11:03:30 AM »
Mecky, hope you dont mind me poking my nose is but the brake cooling vent pipe should be pointed toward to centre of a vented disc, the disc then centrifuges the cool air to the outside of the disc, I'll post a photo tomorrow of a 3d printed vent from work
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday,July 06, 2021, 11:23:39 AM »
Mecky, hope you dont mind me poking my nose is but the brake cooling vent pipe should be pointed toward to centre of a vented disc, the disc then centrifuges the cool air to the outside of the disc, I'll post a photo tomorrow of a 3d printed vent from work
Good point. Of course I know the principle a ventilated brake disc. It's the same as a centrifugal pump. But as the air hose has been mounted in that place to cool the old solid discs, I haven't thought about changing the pointing direction. Now I will check, if it's possible to do so.

The front suspension is not so special. For example, Spyder cars and Banks offer better solutions. The dampers are made by Protech and the higher wishbones are connected by a steel sheet welded to the top of both of them. The top bushes have been replaced by Uniball joints to provide adjustment possibility of camber. The bushes of the lower wishbones are replaced by Polyurethane, of course.

Offline BDA

« Reply #125 on: Tuesday,July 06, 2021, 12:31:57 PM »
I guess I should have been more specific. The front upper A-arm pivots inside the frame 'T' section rather than the outside on the stock car. Why do you choose to make your upper A-arm more narrow? Does that help you get more caster? Do you use the stock trunnion? It appears that your pivot pins are smaller than the 1/2" stock pivots or is that an illusion?

I'd be interested in seeing any pictures you might have of the A-arms by themselves if it is possible without taking it off  your car (i.e. if you have any other pictures you've taken).

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #126 on: Tuesday,July 06, 2021, 01:46:53 PM »
S1 and early S2 use straight rear upper-arms that mount inside the T-section.

Offline BDA

« Reply #127 on: Tuesday,July 06, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
Ahhhh... I obviously had no idea! Thanks for the education!

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #128 on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 10:36:14 AM »

Here is a 3d printed copy of a duct from a Works BMW 635
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday,October 26, 2021, 07:03:17 AM »
Hello all,

my 2021 racing season is over. On 25 September, the fourth round of the 2021 BELCAR Historic Cup took place in Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium. As I didn't want to drive the full championship this year anyway, this was planned as my second and equally last race event of the season. However, it was such a terrible disappointment that I needed a few weeks off before I can report on it here. But first things first:

As written above, I had renewed the brakes all around. I also had to get a new seat. The homologation of the old one was no longer valid and the model is no longer produced. So I had to look for an alternative. I found a suitable seat at Tillett Racing Seats. Unfortunately, the seating position is less optimal than before. I sit more upright and a little higher overall.

In addition, it was not possible to test the seat on the race track before the race. A short shake down on the road had to be enough. So I only knew that the brakes basically worked front and rear and that I could drive okay in the new seating position.

During the practice session in Spa, I quickly noticed that my new seating position meant that I could hardly see the other cars in the interior mirror. This made me feel very insecure and didn't let me really get into a flow. At least the brakes worked well. The balance was set a bit too much to the front, but that could easily be changed after the session. In the 6th lap I could at least drive a little bit faster. Then, unfortunately, the qualifying was already over. However, there was nothing like fast driving or even racing speed. Here you can see a clip from lap 2 or 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcNA1aPKFxE . In order to solve the problem with the inside mirror, we taped an outside mirror for the caravan to the roll cage tube in the evening. This provisionally improved the view to the rear.

The first race run was scheduled for Saturday morning at 9 AM. Due to persistent fog, the start was behind the safety car, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Already in the first lap I felt an enormous vibration on the right rear wheel at the end of the Kemmel straight, which got out of hand after a few seconds into a real roller coaster. Fortunately, in about 200 m there was an emergency exit where I could park the car. Since I had actually lost a rear wheel with the Europa once before and almost lost it once again at another occasion, the feeling was very familiar. I had hoped that the wheel nuts had come loose. But unfortunately all the nuts were tight, so the cause quickly became clear: Wheel bearing damage. The central nut of the stub axle was also tight. And that was the crux of the matter...

In 2011, I lost the left rear wheel while driving slowly on the road after the central nut had come loose. Fortunately, the wheel came off for good at walking speed, so nothing significant was damaged. At the Hockenheim race in 2015, the central nut also came loose, but could be reattached before it actually fell off.

Due to these two incisive experiences, the rear axle was converted to BMW 2002 wheel bearings and stub axles. Two wheel carriers were constructed around the BMW wheel bearing carriers as a welded steel construction. After my conversion of the rear brake, I unfortunately gave too much tightening torque to the central nuts. I let myself be guided by my fear of losing the wheel again and tightened it with the big ratchet with all my strength. The outer right wheel bearing did not survive. The balls of the groove ball bearing were more or less pulverised. In the attachment you can see a few pictures.

Of course, I didn't have any spare wheel bearings in Spa, nor did I have the big tools for the rebuild. I will change that in the future. Although it would have been very tight in the short time (2 hours until the second start), but at least I would have liked to try. Fortunately, the hub carrier and stub axle were not seriously damaged, so I could now simply install new bearings and tighten them with the prescribed torque. This was accompanied by generous additions of Loctite and shaft-hub glue.

Now that this damage has been repaired, I can start planning for the 2022 season. I would like to compete in all the BHC heats next season. To do that, of course, I need a significant increase in reliability. Fortunately, all the problems so far have been caused by myself, so I've been able to fix them. But at the latest when I'm finally on the road at racing speed, the next weaknesses will be revealed.

Next I have to seal the housing of my 5-speed gearbox and replace the clutch disc. As part of that, I plan to get a lighter flywheel as an improvement. My current flywheel is a little bit twisted, but still very close to the standard weight of about 8 kg. I would like to aim for about half that. Hopefully there will be something suitable from or for Renault Alpine. An extra-large NASCAR interior mirror will definitely be added. Apart from that, track time is the priority for now, to get the car stable as soon as possible. I hope my schedule will allow for a detailed test before the first race of the new season.

Offline BDA

« Reply #130 on: Tuesday,October 26, 2021, 07:30:34 AM »
I’m really sorry your season didn’t go better. I know how frustrating that sort of thing. Just continue to focus on next season

I’m not sure I understand your bearing problem but I think all the compression forces by the nut should go through the inner race and it appears that at least some were going through the outer race. If I have that right, I think that’s where I’d look for a solution.

You seem to be running under some curious rules. Your seat has to be homoligated but you can use a custom rear upright!

Best of luck with preparations for next season! We’re all rooting for you!

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday,October 27, 2021, 01:40:55 AM »
I’m really sorry your season didn’t go better. I know how frustrating that sort of thing. Just continue to focus on next season

I’m not sure I understand your bearing problem but I think all the compression forces by the nut should go through the inner race and it appears that at least some were going through the outer race. If I have that right, I think that’s where I’d look for a solution.

You seem to be running under some curious rules. Your seat has to be homoligated but you can use a custom rear upright!

Best of luck with preparations for next season! We’re all rooting for you!
There is a solid spacer between the inner racers of the inner and outer bearing. The nominal Torque of the central nut is between 294 Nm (30 mkp) and 367 Nm (37,5 mkp). That means, you tighten it with ~300 Nm and then turn the nut a little bit further until the split pin fits through the hole. This time I needed 350 Nm to fit the pin. But last time, I gave it everything I've got. I took the biggest ratchet available and stood, stamped and jumped on it. As the lever of the ratchet is 0,5 metres long and I whey about 85 kg, it was at least between 400 and 500 Nm.

The regulations in my racing series are very free (Group H). That means that a lot of stuff, which can make a car go faster (cylinder head, brakes, cooling, suspension and more) are free up to a certain extend. But for the driver's safety, they are very strict. My roll cage with Ø38 mm tubes is only allowed, because the car was homologated before 1971. A 1972 car needs minimum Ø42 tubes, for example. And there are several competitors, who had to change their roll cages recently due to stricter rules. I guess, my cage will also be outdated in a few years time. And it's the same with seat and harness. They must be homologated and after five years of use, you have to throw them away. I can understand that, as they should keep the driver in place in case of an accident. And the historic racing had already some problems because of fatal accidents in recent years. The series, which I used to take part in, once shared an event with the DTM. As the crowd liked the variety of oldtimers from their youth much better over the carbon fibre DTM cars (only 2 different types in that time), the president of DTM decided to never share an event with them again and pretended that he was concerned about the safety of the old cars. But from my opinion, it was just down to image protection.

But we need to bear in mind that historic racing is mainly done by gentleman drivers with limited experience and ability in their spare time. And it's the same with the preparation of the cars. Thus, it's just fair to make the safety an important point in the regulations.

Offline BDA

« Reply #132 on: Wednesday,October 27, 2021, 07:06:41 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, Mecky. It’s been a really long time since I raced and I don’t remember if anything was said about seats back then. If there was, it was probably only something like the seat had to be firmly attached to the floor of the car. I see the sense in being more specific for safety!

I forgot to mention how good your car looks! That’s a very pretty car!

Good luck with your preparations for next year and your racing next year!

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday,October 27, 2021, 11:11:49 AM »
If you are using the standard europa clutch disc and pressure plate, look at TTV-racing in the UK. I supplied them with a standard flywheel to measure and they designed a CNC lightened steel flywheel to fit our standard clutch/pressure plate combo.

http://ttvracing.com/products/?manufacturers=lotus&engine=europa-type-46&type=flywheels

Very high quality item!

I will have to try and visit a BHC round in 2022, I live very close to Zolder and Spa is only an hour away.

Serge

Offline gideon

« Reply #134 on: Wednesday,October 27, 2021, 12:33:49 PM »
Can anybody say whether the 1470 and 1565 Renault engines use an identical flywheel, or are there differences?