Author Topic: WTB TCS Lucas turn signal stalk/switch  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Pfreen

WTB TCS Lucas turn signal stalk/switch
« on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
Looking for the turn signal, beam, horn switch/stalk as shown in photo.  Th strap which clamps it to the steering column on mine is broken.
Thx

Offline BDA

Re: WTB TCS Lucas turn signal stalk/switch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »
The same thing happened to me. I found some metal strapping and hooked it around the "underside" of the switch - the side you can't see from my picture (I don't remember exactly how this worked but it should be obvious when you look at it. I mean if I can figure it out, I'm sure you can, too!). I wrapped it around and screwed it with the screw that came with the switch. The strapping had its own holes but you could make something pretty easily with some aluminum.

If for some reason that won't work for you, The switch comes in two parts and they are Spitfire parts. You should be able to get them Moss, Victoria British, or British Parts Northwest. I think the part you you'll need is the headlight/horn side.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »
I was in the process of doing that with hos clamp strap, but I was concerned about the rest of it cracking since the plastic is crazed.  I know the spitfire parts are similiar but the look somewhat different up close.
Thx
I will go ahead with the strap and see how that goes.  I tried epoxy several times without luck.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
I can't help on supplying the part, but is it the same as the Dolomite ?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-218498

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
I meant to say Hi-low beam/turn/horn side but I think you figured that out. The icons are different now, but I THINK they are the same.

A lot depends on how it broke. I found the switch on Victoria British here (http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sg/full.aspx?Page=135). It's item #17. It seems to be pretty inexpensive and the right part.

Good luck!

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »
The Spitfire seems to have the stalks at an angle up to each other rather than 180 degrees apart like the Europa.  This would cause the cowl  not to fit.  Also, the turn signal cancel cam looks different.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a Spitfire so I can't compare but from your picture, it seems the one in the picture should work. It might be that maybe the right turn signal is set but I think it's probably because of the angle of the picture.

I would be very surprised if Chunky used a minor variation of a BMC Lucas part. I think it's much more likely that he chose standard off the shelf parts. IIRC, the turn signal at Victoria British was somewhere in the $35 range. If they'd be willing to take it back if it's the wrong one, I'd get one and try it.

One more thing. The Golden Gate Lotus Club did a parts cross reference (http://www.gglotus.org/ggpart/europacr.htm) and gave the Lucas part number for the dimmer/turn signal/horn stalk as:

TC, SP   Turn Indicator / Dimmer Switch       Lucas 163SA 30370

You could use that number to ensure you're getting the right one.

Edit - last minute thought:
One last thing. I happen to have a spare dimmer/turn/horn stalk and I can see how I fixed the one in my car. The clamp on mine broke. I sawed a slot "behind" where it broke and anchored the strap there by bending it to hook in the slot and wrap around like the rest of the clamp. Does that make sense? If only your clamp is broken and the plastic is in decent shape, you might be able to get away with doing something similar.
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 06:00:47 PM by BDA »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
A lot depends on how it broke. I found the switch on Victoria British here (http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sg/full.aspx?Page=135). It's item #17. It seems to be pretty inexpensive and the right part. Good luck!

That is a great find and incredibly cheap BDA.  I like the more modern parts fitted to the later cars because they have the horn & washer there and have often mulled over the idea of updating. The Rimmers' parts make it more than a "let's see if this works" project but I could almost buy the pair from your link for the price of one side at Rimmers.  Good find. 

Brian

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #8 on: Friday,March 16, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »
Dave Bean had the new part for my Dad's Elan Plus 2. Have you tried to get a new part from the usual suspects for parts supply.
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,March 20, 2018, 03:13:28 PM »
I fixed my turn signal stalk for now by fabricating a stainless steel strap to replace the broken plastic clamp.

Thanks for all the input.  Hopefully, it will be a long lasting solution.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,March 20, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
Glad you got it fixed, Pfreen!