Author Topic: 1974 Europa TCS 5spd Stromberg w/JPS Color Scheme Mostly Restored on eBay  (Read 285 times)

Offline Vegantune

• 46+ Years Europa TCS /JPS Owner/Fixer/Improver
1974 Europa TCS 5spd Stromberg w/JPS Color Scheme Mostly Restored on eBay
« on: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 10:43:20 AM »
Nice looking '74 TCS 5 speed black w/oatmeal interior, 37K miles. Not a JPS# badged car. Does appear to be a mostly fine restoration done by Lee Chapman. Asking quite a healthy price @$31.5K, but looks like done to keep car mostly original but with some improvements. Restoring one of these to a high level, or any '70 car, even one not abused, is never cheap.

Replacement dash looks very nice. Carpeted front and rear compartments done really well. Fresh set of repro labels also a nice idea, but both inside glove box stickers got ginked up (SMH). Adjustable Heim joint front A-arms a definitely plus. I do think they should have attended to some other easy things, like repainting the radiator shell and blower motor housing, rotating that gearshift knob so the emblem is turned right, mount those loose reproduction outside Sebring mirrors (hope they have the bases, but not a hard item to reproduce), get some seat belt reel covers put back on, and of all things, really should have replaced those soiled seat inserts with fresh ones if you are going all the way.

Do a few other touch ups to make it at least an 85pts.+ car, maybe a 90pts., although probably concourse score limited by several non-original items. But shows to me are not what it is all about, and I'd be happy with several mods they did that I've also done to mine. However, while details matter, but at least these are not difficult fixes for next owner. I was amused to see they have the same substitute washer fluid bag I also use, but I still kept my original (stored). Hey, it works well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166673868826

BTW, when posting any eBay links, omit all the long tracking garbage that comes after the item number (see example above). Totally unnecessary.
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 28, 2024, 12:09:50 PM by Vegantune »
- A Norwegian Blue with beautiful plumage is still nothing but a dead parrot.

1973 Black Europa TCS/Vegantune JPS #180
1973 White Europa TCS
2012 Jaguar XJL 5.0 Supercharged
1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4
1994 Volvo 940 Shoebox Wagon
2005 Yamaha V Star
1998 Kawasaki XII Voyager

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: 1974 Europa TCS 5spd Stromberg w/JPS Color Scheme Mostly Restored on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 01, 2024, 11:45:42 AM »
One thing that mildly annoys me on 'restored' cars is the use of black paint on the wheels in place of the factory colour, which appears to be a greenish gray hammer tone paint. Especially so on a black car. I find the use of the proper colour on the wheels makes a big difference in the final appearance, all the more true on a particularly nice car.

It is a beautiful Europa, though.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #2 on: Monday,April 01, 2024, 01:05:50 PM »
US $31,500.00
0 bids Ends in 1d 20hWednesday, 09:47 AM
Reserve not met

feeBay is probably not the best venue for this one.
Why is it not on BAT, fear of not meeting the price?

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,April 01, 2024, 01:25:31 PM »
That car is also listed on Hemmings with a $45,000 asking price. Maybe Hemmings isn't the place for it either - or he is content to let it sit there and hope the market comes to him. I'm not sure that his price is totally out of line - a very pretty Europa sold on BaT for $46,000 January 2023. Is the market sagging a bit? I have no idea.

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 02, 2024, 09:10:39 AM »
In looking at BAT over the past few months, there has been a significant decline in prices with the odd exception (Honda s600!!!!!) so I doubt that he will get his price. Everything else to too expensive these days