Author Topic: Current situation in hospital.  (Read 587 times)

Offline dakazman

Current situation in hospital.
« on: Tuesday,August 10, 2021, 06:29:42 PM »
  From my Daughter,

I don’t think I can say it better.

“ I have never talked about what it is like as a Covid ICU nurse for the past 18months but I think it's time to start sharing to let friend and family in my hometown know.

Its bad. It's really bad... it's more than bad because bad is left up to interpretation. So let me explain.

It's heart aching to know as healthcare workers with years of schooling and experience we are still not able to save our patients. We encourage families to pray for the best and hope that their loved ones recover but it's not enough. This disease is rapidly progressing and I have seen more body bags this month than ever before.

Everyday we walk into the hospital knowing every room is pretty much an airborne room. These patients are isolated. It's quiet for them. No visitors. It's hard to even have a telephone conversations or walk to the bathroom due to oxygen levels dropping and the patients gasping for air through a mask ; a mask that pushes air forcefully into their lungs, making their mouths so dry and trying to eat? Well oxygen vs food becomes the choice for many. If it's not a mask it's being intubated, sedated, paralyzed and flipped upside down into a rotoprone bed.

It's tragic, while many might think it's the elderly, it's not. It's the young individuals this time that are dying. 30-65, mainly 30 and 40yos.

I wish I could say we are drowning at work because of workload, being short staffed, or patient census/ratio. The main reason right now why health care providers are saying they are drowning is because we try so damn hard to recover and save patients and when we can't it mentally wears us out seeing another one not recover.

I'm not telling anyone what to do but please be extra careful. I know everyone thinks they will be fine until they are in a hospital bed begging for us to save them.

If you haven't experienced or know a loved one that is currently hospitalized or passed away from covid, just know how fortunate you are because many people can not believe that their husband, wife, mom, dad are gone. The saddest part is seeing the  school age children come in to tell their mom or dad to come home soon, with us only knowing they will not be coming home.

Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Current situation in hospital.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 10, 2021, 10:11:24 PM »
Geez, that's hard reading. I'll bet it was even harder to write.

I don't really know what say other than that lass of yours needs support because those words sound desperate and in situations like that it's all too easy to end up in depression.  And she doesn't deserve that sort of outcome just for trying to help folks.

Personally I've always taken Covid as a serious threat. We all expect to get over it but the lingering effects of what's termed "Long Covid" over here have made a big impact on me, the thought of spending months in recovery are enough to make me try to avoid it in the first place.

Sadly I expect Covid & variants to be around for some years. I don't know what the answer is but it's certainly going to change society as it spreads and we all experience the sorts of things your lass has talked about.

Brian

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 11, 2021, 02:55:56 AM »
Hi Dakazman,

My heart goes out to your Daughter and to you, having to hear what your daughter is going through. As Brian has alluded to I think this will have a long tail on it and will have long lasting effects on what is the norm in society.

I am so grateful for the frontliners like your daughter around the world and the scientists developing the means and measures to protect us.

Take care

Andrew

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 11, 2021, 05:28:45 AM »
Thank you for sharing that.

It really hits home, coming straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Anti-vaxers really annoy me. It is all about getting rid of this virus worldwide by vaccination, just like it did with smallpox. We all need to pull together to stop this. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,August 11, 2021, 06:57:47 AM »
There’s nothing I can add here. I just want you, your daughter, and your whole family to be safe!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 11, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
Dave, please thank your daughter for her selfless commitment to others. We would be in a lot worse place without out healthcare HEROES! Please give her a big hug from me and others who really appreciate her dedication.
Sandy

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,August 11, 2021, 09:09:15 AM »
Honestly, I don't know how they do it. Bless them all. Their daily plight is more than I can imagine, and with hardly an end in sight. The world over, there will be countless healthcare workers with PTSD, and they will all need our help. We need to be wary of this, and ensure they get the help they need, as they have given so very much for us. Governments will need to be pressured to ensure this happens, because when this is over they will let this matter slip, and healthcare workers in need of support will fall between the cracks.

My deepest best wishes for your daughter. Keep an eye on her.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor