Author Topic: Dilkris Update - Back at it!  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Dilkris

Dilkris Update - Back at it!
« on: Tuesday,May 28, 2024, 03:36:22 AM »
I have been away from the TCS for some time - life in general - you all know how it is.  :confused: As some of you will remember I have previously posted details on many of the journeys on this rebuild.
Thought I'd post an update - early in the month I decided I just had to get back into it and that the best thing I could do was to start the engine and sort out any gremlins before I proceeded further, (if at all tbh).
Photo's show what I set up temporarily regarding cooling, fuel, electrics plus oil control panel - yes I know - some of it is in wood - but it works....  :))
I will post later with an update on how it all went - along with questions on some of the new (but minor) challenges I now have. 

Offline cazman

Re: Dilkris Update - Back at it!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2024, 04:46:43 AM »
Good luck!
Very interesting connection for the rear lower link. Is that for a custom sway bar?
1973 Europa TCS

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2024, 05:42:10 AM »
No....  :FUNNY:
Sorry - the rear coil overs are not as yet attached to the rear uprights and the drive shafts are temporarily suspended from large cable ties. 
I have some fine tuning to do in this area and wanted to keep everything as accessible as possible.
Hope this answers your query and that I have not miss understood.
The lower radius arms are of course "home modified" - they are adjustable in length to aid camber adjustment - when I get to that stage .....  :)) :))     

Offline cazman

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2024, 11:14:39 AM »
I see now. The lower link was cut to insert threads for adjustability. I thought there was also an extra anchor point for a sway bar or something.
1973 Europa TCS

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2024, 11:38:16 AM »
Exactly. :)

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2024, 01:20:46 AM »
Specifically for "cazman" - this should better explain - pictures are always best  :)

Offline cazman

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,June 02, 2024, 07:41:46 AM »
Thanks
1973 Europa TCS

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2024, 01:59:54 AM »
Just to finish off this thread of engine starting following a complete rebuild - thought I'd add the following regarding the carburetor balancing. Please see photo's as they explain all.
I opted to go for the manometric approach, (as I could make up a system), sure you can buy off the shelf equipment for this but....its all money.
I first had to make up vacuum connectors to replace the vacuum plugs and after experimenting with various liquids I used 3 in 1 oil in the bottles, ensuring that the total volume of oil in both bottles did not exceed the volume of one bottle. Simple throttling valves were still required to slow down the reaction of the oil in the bottles, (these valves are from a fish tank.)
I first balanced carb to carb, then balanced barrels per carb by adjusting the air bypass screws. Yes, you could do everything "all at once" so to speak by having a manometric set up of 4 bottles - I opted to do it just with 2.
Finally I played with the air fuel mixtures on each barrel at the same time adjusting idle speed.
On completion of this I repeated the above process from the beginning and all good. 
Problems? "Yes" - but I think relatively minor - I have a seized air bypass screw on one barrel meaning that I had to take that as a "constant" and balance the corresponding barrel to that. Measuring exposed threads it is seized "not closed"
I have accepted this as I am nervous about snapping off the bypass screw in the carburetor body .... :( :(   
Please note this home made manometric system just shows differential balance - it does not measure anything - which is what I wanted. 
The engine sounds very happy, running 180/180/180/170 psi on compression, (the 170 may come up with further running and if it doesn't its ok for me.) - 40 psi oil prressure - temp at 95, with no oil, water or fuel leaks.
Getting on with the body is getting closer - I have been "at this " for some 4 years now.  :confused: