Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Europa push/pull body strong points?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Grumblebuns:
When I brought my last car home, my backup plan in case the car wouldn't roll easily enough to push onto the trailer by pushing was to use a nylon tow strap around the rear transaxle hoop and hook the tow cable to that and ratchet the car onto the trailer. Didn't have to resort to that, but it should work.

gideon:
I think a trailer would be easier (and safer), but if you're determined then here is what one person did to carry two motorcycles in a rented box truck

https://imgur.com/gallery/yF1fY

Essentially they created a second floor from OSB, and screwed things into that to secure the load.  Something along those lines might also help with providing an anchor point for a come-along (use the rear hoop and load the car backwards). 

Make sure you know in advance the floor height of the truck you will get and calculate exactly how long the ramps need to be avoid scraping anything at the top or the bottom.  One way to be sure of that would be to make a 2D scale model out of paper or cardboard to test the dimensions.  The diagram in this post might help.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1747.msg16215#msg16215

I think you're going to need long ramps.

4129R:
Do not pull on the drop links from the suspension bolts to the anti-roll bar. The weld shears on the roll bar.

I used a long chain through both bottom suspension arms, and a tow rope to the centre of the chain.

Lotuswins:
It sounds like you are really cheaping out on this move.  It is going to cost more if you damage something.  Do not chain down to the chassis, it is not designed to take those loads and is only made of sheet metal.  I only tie to the tires, looping a belt over each tire and chinch down, leaving the suspension able to move as it was designed to.  With limited access in a 'box' truck you can't really access it to do this, since you need something to tie down to. 

Get a grip and use a trailer.

Jerry Rude
4005R

4129R:
If you want to tow the Europa, you need to pull on the chassis.

If you want to tie down a Europa, the wheels are by far the best option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version