Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Europa push/pull body strong points?

(1/4) > >>

Richard48Y:
Europa push/pull body strong points?
Checked out a U-Haul box truck and found that there are no good points to anchor any sort of come-along apparatus.  :(
This means I will have to push/pull the Lotus into the box truck.
Obviously will not be pushing directly on the chassis, leaving only the body.
Do hope to tie it in at the chassis, but even that is going to be tricky as there are no real good tie points and very limited access.
I expect to be putting in some wood blocks and setting the hand brake.
I am taking some ratchet straps with me, just not certain how I will use them.

Body is supposed to be accident free, I want to keep it that way.

TurboFource:
On Saturday when we loaded my Europa we went all the way under the car to the rear hoop with a large ratcheting cargo strap and step by agonizing step winched it up the ramp, it was agonizing because of the four flats😐

Pfreen:
The rear hoop is the best place to pull the the car onto a hauler.  I have not done it, but I have seen it done on another Europa getting towed.

Richard48Y:
Problem is that I do not see a way to pull with no forward attachment point.

EuropaTC:
What I did when we had the Europa trailered down here was to use a rope around the lower suspension chassis attachment bolt at the front. The rope went around the rear lower wishbone bolt and down underneath the chassis T section & coming out between the roll bar & closing plate.   A big loop which the transport guy could link into and winch the car onto the flatbed as the car wasn't mobile at the time.

The guy transported classics for a living and was very careful, for example he had several ramps which he laid down to create a long gentle slope so that the rope/winch didn't push on the front bodywork. Doors/bonnets all locked as well.

The stress point from the rope is probably as close as possible to the chassis front T section and it's putting the T into compression rather than just looping around the front lower wishbone and pulling. Providing you avoid pulling on mid/outer ends of the wishbones or rear lower links you should be ok ?

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version