Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Get it home, '71TS, Helena MT to Reno NV area.

(1/3) > >>

Richard48Y:
Getting my 71TS ex-Hillclimb Europa home.

I think I have a new plan. 
Do not want to rush getting my own truck back together.

So, fly to Helena and rent a 15' box truck one-way.
Only a little more expensive than driving my own truck but a faster trip by at least one day as I only have to drive back.
Key is finding a cheap flight. Easier if I delay the trip but I'm about out of patience  :holdurbreath: and getting concerned about the weather.

I did find one really cheap ticket, but an eleven hour layover in Denver is a deal killer! Turns into a two day flight. I could literally drive up as quickly.

A Europa is pretty narrow so I hope it will fit between the wheel wells.
I know the weight is fine.

I may have to UPS some tie-down straps and chains to the seller as I doubt the airline would be happy about them.

Anyone else moved a complete Europa this way?

Grumblebuns:
How do you plan on getting the Europa on and out of the box section. If my idea of a box truck is correct, the box section is pretty high.

Richard48Y:
U-Haul have fairly low beds, much lower than my flat-bed.
May just go to a local lumber store and buy a couple of planks to use as ramps.
Probably load backward as the body overhang will be less.
Enclosed box so no issue and easier to unload.

To ease loading I plan to send a snatch block, cable, and tie-downs I have to the seller.
I've used this system before and it makes loading very easy.

SilverBeast:
Make sure you strap the engine cover down if towing backwards. The are plenty of owners who have had three catch release,  cover flip open and wrap itself over the roof,  breaking cover,  windscreen and damaging the roof.. It has been postulated that it may be worse with S1/S2 because of the rear grille allowing more of a ram air effect and pressurising the engine compartment (a bit more).

Richard48Y:
Box truck, fully enclosed.

It's at least a two day drive back so I may also just sleep in the box myself.
Somewhat expensive trip so motels are optional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version