Author Topic: new owner '74 TCS misc ?  (Read 12307 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Re: new owner '74 TCS misc ?
« Reply #120 on: Thursday,November 10, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
Support the car properly on jack stands.

Remember that Europas are very light up front.  This makes it far too easy to knock the car off the jack stands so BE CAREFUL when prying, pushing or pulling on things.

Noted that lightness issue the first time I did work on 444R back in the day...stacked (IIRC) 5 bags of 40 lb mulch (I was also doing some yard work) in the front compartment to add weight on the stands.  Nothing moved.  Used the same trick when I was reassembling the frame for 693R back in '07: stacked bags of mulch on the frame until the distance to the ground from the bottom of the front box was as specified (6" IIRC...it was 15 years ago...) and tightened to torque spec.  Also made it a lot easier to set the toe.  Never had a handling problem, and when I set the body on, the measurement to the top of the wheel arches was within an eighth of an inch.  Guess it worked out ok.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #121 on: Thursday,November 10, 2022, 11:14:45 PM »
Appreciate the advice on making sure the car is well supported.  Using a low profile floor jack with a board to distribute the weight along with 13 ton plastic vehicle ramps all placed by the front T section.  I started breaking down the left suspension and have nearly almost all of it removed on that side however progress has stopped.  The top wishbone pivot bolt that is to be driven through the rubber plug hole in the chassis will not slide.  It spins as I can rotate it but will not travel in or out.  One half of the top wishbone is still connected to the right side as I have only been able to undo the left nut on said pin.  Any insight / last measure efforts?  Thinking heat is not much of an option with it being so close to the fiberglass body.  Thank you.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #122 on: Thursday,November 10, 2022, 11:40:15 PM »
Reading related threads and posts on this forum the wording from Bryan Boyle stating "loosen the bolt.  Pull back, and catch the bits as the bolt comes back."  The pull back part took me by surprise as I have been trying to no avail tap it out with a rubber mallet from within the footwell at terrible angles with the nut covering the end of the threads.  I'm going to try to grab onto from inside the car and see if I too can pull back. 

Offline GavinT

« Reply #123 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 12:37:01 AM »
I reckon what often happens is that the car has, at some stage, dropped a wheel into a pot hole, bottomed out the suspension and slightly bent the top pin. Nothing is noticed until you want to extract the pin.

Your pin looks to be in pretty good shape and given you can rotate it, even better.
Don't have a good answer but I'd try a BF lever between the rear wishbone and the chassis while turning the pin.

A rubber mallet is too soft.
Try a nylon mallet or a steel hammer after moving the nut up to the end so as not to damage the thread. You may get lucky.

These pins are a bit like door hinge pins, I reckon.
We've all seen umpteen threads where people diligently try the good ideas and finally concede defeat and employ a zip disk on an angry grinder.

Way back in the dim dark ages, I recall someone found a suitable length bolt from a Caterpillar tractor of all things – cheap enough, too.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #124 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 01:03:22 AM »
Bolt rotating is a good start. Is there a metal sleeve round the bush in the top of the shock? (I don't know) If there is it may have rusted to bolt? If you are replacing shocks (I haven't re read thread to see if you have said) then you could possibly cut/grind the shock top apart and grind the sleeve off.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #125 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 01:05:57 AM »
Another thought. Is it possible to attach a slide hammer through the access hole in the passenger compartment?

All theoretical, I've not done this myself (and never used a slide hammer!)

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #126 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 01:32:35 AM »
I made minimal progress with using prybars and tools in a prying application while rotating and then while hammering etc.  Possibly 3/16 of an inch of travel.  Not considering it a victory and starting to enjoy the thought of using the nice suggestions from here and cutting it out.  Replacing the shocks and coils with new so cutting at said places for a worst case seems viable.  I'll send an e-mail to Ray at RD and ask about buying a replacement pin.  Really liking the slide hammer idea too.  Maybe I can get my hands on one before taking a cutting wheel to the pin and spacers.  Always wanting to do the least amount of destruction and usually it is a last resort.  I've been soaking it with PB and clamping onto the washers while rotating the pin.  Current plan is to struggle a bit more then inevitably carefully cut it out.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #127 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 05:10:50 AM »
With stubbornness I drove it out.  The pin looks like it has a bend in it so certainly will be replacing it.  Doesn't show clearly in the picture but handling the pin it is not straight.  With any luck I can put this side back together over the weekend.  Wishbones are a bit rough looking so asking ray for some pricing on a new set.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #128 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 05:12:39 AM »
underside of wishbones

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #129 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 05:28:29 AM »
With stubbornness I drove it out.  The pin looks like it has a bend in it so certainly will be replacing it.  Doesn't show clearly in the picture but handling the pin it is not straight.  With any luck I can put this side back together over the weekend.  Wishbones are a bit rough looking so asking ray for some pricing on a new set.

Those wishbones are not rough; nothing that a little hammer and dolly work wouldn't straighten without changing the dimensions.  I've seen worse.  (if you don't want them...I know a good home that will take care of them..;))

How many pickle forks did you need?  lol.  Glad it worked out for you.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #130 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 06:45:45 AM »
Ray said he is out of lower wishbones but should be getting some in stock in around 2-3 weeks.  I started cleaning them up as you can see the one side is down to bare metal or close.  They look sturdy and think I can straighten out the dings and repaint.  Especially with the vote of confidence saying they look good enough for love.  Haha the pickle forks, well I used them to what end I don't know.  Right angle plyers gave me nice leverage while I hammered away.  Once I got some lateral movement I resoaked then hammered the progress away by intentionally driving it back to its original position.  Repeat the process which gave results until I had nothing left to hit as the pin receded into the spacers within the chassis.  From there used a tie rod end removal tool to push it further in until using deepwell sockets as punches and so on.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #131 on: Friday,November 11, 2022, 07:19:28 AM »
Ray said he is out of lower wishbones but should be getting some in stock in around 2-3 weeks.  I started cleaning them up as you can see the one side is down to bare metal or close.  They look sturdy and think I can straighten out the dings and repaint.  Especially with the vote of confidence saying they look good enough for love.  Haha the pickle forks, well I used them to what end I don't know.  Right angle plyers gave me nice leverage while I hammered away.  Once I got some lateral movement I resoaked then hammered the progress away by intentionally driving it back to its original position.  Repeat the process which gave results until I had nothing left to hit as the pin receded into the spacers within the chassis.  From there used a tie rod end removal tool to push it further in until using deepwell sockets as punches and so on.

Welcome to the percussive maintenance end of Lotus ownership.  Really glad it all worked out for you.  Sometimes, it takes some huffing and puffing to persuade it to move.  when it all goes back together...a light coat of anti-seize on the shaft would not be the worst thing you can do...

Remember when you do get it all back together...the torque is set with the car on its wheels and the suspension in its normal running position.  That's where a long extension to come in from the footwell and a ring spanner on the front nut that locks up against the body as you tighten from inside the car is a plus. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #132 on: Monday,November 14, 2022, 02:26:06 AM »
It's going well enough considering what I had to do to the grease cap.  Will be ordering a new one of those.  Been stripping everything down and repainting.  Forgot to initially order the smaller upper bushes for the drop links so aside from those I've replaced all the bushes and have been assembling the front suspension and breaking down the hub to clean things up and replace the bearings. Question before I finalize my order to RD again (they have to be thrilled having me as a customer) does this axle seem to be in a usable condition?  I've cleaned off the grease but that is it and thought the uneven roughness, pitting and gouges in areas is bad news.  I should probably as in definitely order a new axle, right?

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #133 on: Monday,November 14, 2022, 05:03:19 AM »
It's going well enough considering what I had to do to the grease cap.  Will be ordering a new one of those.  Been stripping everything down and repainting.  Forgot to initially order the smaller upper bushes for the drop links so aside from those I've replaced all the bushes and have been assembling the front suspension and breaking down the hub to clean things up and replace the bearings. Question before I finalize my order to RD again (they have to be thrilled having me as a customer) does this axle seem to be in a usable condition?  I've cleaned off the grease but that is it and thought the uneven roughness, pitting and gouges in areas is bad news.  I should probably as in definitely order a new axle, right?

They all look like that that I've seen.  They took a rough casting and milled what they have to.  What counts is where the bearings sit, not what it looks like in between. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #134 on: Monday,November 14, 2022, 07:31:49 AM »
Uprights bend easily.  After it is all assembled, get a full wheel alignment and check the KPI.  If it is off, your uprights are bent.  Mine were.