Author Topic: Europa TCST  (Read 55960 times)

Offline TurboFource

Re: Europa TCST
« Reply #405 on: Thursday,December 02, 2021, 06:19:54 PM »
Seems I read someone else had this problem….I need to shorten the threaded portion of my new tie rod ends because they are longer than the originals …..  :(
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #406 on: Thursday,December 02, 2021, 07:57:16 PM »
Several listers have reported having to do that.  Didn't have to myself but it was close.

Offline BDA

« Reply #407 on: Thursday,December 02, 2021, 08:35:53 PM »
Here is a lot of information on the family of steering racks from which the Europa borrows, in case it interests you (https://www.macleansbridge.com/index.php/triumph-info/technical-information/22-steering-racks). Unfortunately, it doesn't directly address the Europa.

When I rebuilt my steering rack, I basically took a used Spitfire rack and added the Europa bits on to it - the rack tube extension, the tie rods, and the tie rod "cap nuts" (I think those were the only different parts). As I remember, the tie rods for the Spitfire were shorter than the Europa tie rods. The S1/S2 workshop manual has a page that calls out the different lengths of different sections of the rack (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/s2work/h/s2h.pdf). The steering rack section of the TC Workshop Supplement merely refers back to the S1/S22 manual and I'm not sure if the dimensions are consistent between the S1/S2 and TC since there are other differences that aren't noted but it might be a place to start when deciding what length you want if that's a question.

I would advise you to take the force needed to move the tie rods, as spelled out in the manual, seriously. Use a spring scale. Originally, I thought that loose was better as long as there was no slop between the tie rod and the rack. That turned out to be a mistake. I ended up using red Loctite on the tie rod "cap nuts" since heat was required to disassemble mine.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #408 on: Friday,December 03, 2021, 04:13:30 AM »
New vs old

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #409 on: Monday,December 06, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
Wrestled the rack boots on today. Shortened my new tie rod ends to match the originals and installed them. Started on the brake calipers (Pistons would not move with air) so I split the calipers and have penetrating oil soaking around the pistons ( I bought the square o-rings).

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #410 on: Monday,December 06, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »
I think I will bolt the calipers back together and try a grease gun to get the pistons out.....

Offline BDA

« Reply #411 on: Monday,December 06, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »
Those calipers look really bad. Hopefully you can save them. I think I remember seeing that stainless pistons and I think I remember an operation that installed (or provided) stainless bore liners.

Looking good!!+

Offline dakazman

« Reply #412 on: Monday,December 06, 2021, 02:15:54 PM »
I used an hydraulic ram pump, however you can use your master cylinder to pressurize the the cylinder.
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #413 on: Monday,December 06, 2021, 04:22:02 PM »
In order to use my master cylinder I need to fabricate a new pedal assembly..... :-\

Offline GavinT

« Reply #414 on: Monday,December 06, 2021, 06:48:21 PM »
In order to use my master cylinder I need to fabricate a new pedal assembly..... :-\

Or put the master cylinder in a BFG-clamp . . or bench vise using a short temporary push rod.  8)

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #415 on: Tuesday,December 07, 2021, 03:32:58 PM »
I think I will bolt the calipers back together and try a grease gun to get the pistons out.....
as you're going to replace the pucks, i have used an air hammer with a chisel and was able to free all my rusted pucks.  Does the job!  just be careful not to get near the caliper body itself, just stay on the pucks only.
Good luck!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #416 on: Thursday,December 09, 2021, 05:07:26 PM »
A common grease gun can create 1000s of psi of pressure, with $8 worth of fittings from the
local hydraulic shop, my grease gun easily pushed out my stuck caliper pistons 8)

It is quite messy though.....
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 09, 2021, 06:34:51 PM by TurboFource »

Offline BDA

« Reply #417 on: Thursday,December 09, 2021, 05:19:50 PM »
Well done!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #418 on: Monday,December 13, 2021, 11:46:24 AM »
After deciding to order stainless Pistons for my brake calipers, I cleaned up the caliper bores. Then I tried to remove the brake bleeder screws that have had penetrating oil on them for a couple of days, the first one came out. The second one after several heat then cool with penetrating oil then repeat several times decided to ask Murphy to join in the fun >:(    It easily snapped right off.....
I tried to weld a bolt on it but there wasn't much room to get weld on it and it snapped off (I think I heard Murphy snickering in the corner of the garage). So I cut the head off the bolt and modified it, welded it on......and success  :beerchug:    I was hoping to paint the calipers today but Murphy is a real time waster!! :o :o
« Last Edit: Monday,December 13, 2021, 04:09:57 PM by TurboFource »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #419 on: Monday,December 13, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »
Bleeders can be a pain, indeed.  I always smack 'em hard with a hammer to shock the threads.