Author Topic: Europa TCST  (Read 56554 times)

Offline TurboFource

Re: Europa TCST
« Reply #900 on: Monday,November 27, 2023, 03:50:56 PM »
When I re-clocked the turbo exhaust housing to clear the chassis the exhaust housing interfered with turbo oil drain … I bought an extended drain which hit the chassis … so I modified it … installed a pre-bent 45 degree coolant hose to water pump housing inlet …. I had much joy attaching the emergency brake cable arm that I modified for more travel to it’s cable (darned tough trying to get two hands in there  :o) … found some loose nuts in the interior (walnuts that is ….  :-\)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #901 on: Monday,November 27, 2023, 04:25:50 PM »
Good times… good times!  ;D

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #902 on: Wednesday,November 29, 2023, 08:58:17 AM »
Progress.  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #903 on: Sunday,December 03, 2023, 02:23:03 PM »
 I had a joyous time getting the steering shaft clamped to the rack and getting the steering wheel straight. (Unfortunately I had to do it more than once to get the steering wheel straight). Much joy also getting the bolts in that hold the steering column to the dash  >:(. Got the parking brake ratcheting mechanism to work and soaked the limit switch in vinegar/salt solution because it didn’t work …now it does (You can see how the corrosion discolored the vinegar)
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 03, 2023, 02:27:47 PM by TurboFource »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #904 on: Sunday,December 03, 2023, 03:40:00 PM »
I did have a moment of some concern today… I have been easily moving the rack and wheels etc. with just a wrench on the “ D” part of the steering shaft … after I got the steering wheel installed and straight etc it would no longer steer …. I thought WTH … then I thought maybe this thing has a steering lock … it does  ::) … now the problem was, where did I put those keys 3 years ago  :o
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 03, 2023, 03:43:24 PM by TurboFource »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #905 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 12:26:27 PM »
Painted where the pedals will go as it may be awhile before this thing gets carpet. The steering shaft seal wasn’t lined up with the shaft so I made my own gasket. Got side tracked while waiting for paint to dry and cleaned up the license plate lights. Right side taillight looks like it had water in it quite awhile, probably why the lower right hand lens screw broke off …. Corrosion.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #906 on: Monday,December 11, 2023, 01:00:52 PM »
It's such a small, simple car, yet the bits & pieces seem endless. Nice progress.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #907 on: Thursday,December 28, 2023, 01:50:12 PM »
Nothing picture worthy…just trying to clean up wiring connections, is there a special tool to get the bullet connectors apart?

Progress has slowed as I am also involved in an engine rebuild for my son’s SVO Mustang…CNC ported head with roller cam , Carillo pistons, ARP bolts, ported exhaust manifold etc 8)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #908 on: Thursday,December 28, 2023, 02:31:15 PM »
  I didn't go that far into a reconditioned assembly. the rivets holding them deterred me.
 I do know there is an insertion tool, just push it out . plan on replacing the bullets, crimping the wires in a new end or as I did soldering them in.
   Thats another one of my gripes with the schematic, they don't show all that's needed.
Dakazman

Offline GavinT

« Reply #909 on: Thursday,December 28, 2023, 06:47:31 PM »
Dunno if there's a tool for the bullet connectors. I imagine there isn't because there's no way I can see to get at the bullet once it's pushed in. On the occasions I've tried, I was surprised at the force they withstood and still pulled out OK.

That said, I did find an obstinate one and ended up cutting the black insulation off to extract the bullets. Replaced same with heat shrink tube. These days you can get heat shrink with glue inside and it seems to be thicker than the usual stuff.

The whole bullet connector system invites corrosion IMHO. They're often positioned horizontally in rainy areas where the curved ends of the plastic insulation can retain water.

Offline BDA

« Reply #910 on: Thursday,December 28, 2023, 07:38:06 PM »
...is there a special tool to get the bullet connectors apart?

I hate those (but that's just me) but there are tools for bullet connectors. r.d. enterprises sells them. Check out the "Tool Chest" link on the left of their page.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #911 on: Friday,December 29, 2023, 07:41:38 AM »
Had a look at RD's site.

They have a "Bullet Assembly Plier" (pic below) which appears to be an aid for snapping in the bullets but I can't see how it can do disassembly ?

Offline Kendo

« Reply #912 on: Friday,December 29, 2023, 10:33:12 AM »
I thought you just let time and moisture do the disassembly for you?

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #913 on: Monday,January 08, 2024, 01:37:14 PM »
Decided I should get out in the cold garage and get back to it!

Cleaned up rusty taillight backup light reflector housings, lenses etc, sill cleaning up connectors.
Bought an electrical connector cleaning tool set from NAPA(#8040) seems to work on flat connectors.

Still working on engine rebuild for my son … have had some parts issues ….imagine that >:(
« Last Edit: Monday,January 08, 2024, 01:48:53 PM by TurboFource »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #914 on: Tuesday,January 16, 2024, 04:09:27 AM »
Yesterday I decided to make sure I had continuity in the taillights from the ground wire through the bulbs and their power wires, I do now.
A gun cleaning brush works well on the bulb sockets.