Author Topic: Getting derailed  (Read 338 times)

Offline dakazman

Getting derailed
« on: Thursday,March 21, 2024, 05:44:03 PM »
   I admit I’ve been slacking on getting a few dozen honey-do’s done.🥱 however then the proverbial s*** hit the fan .
  Spring came and opening the pool is a must along with pressure washing everything. Then just when finished with that, my pool pump died. Replaced it and on to the next job of expanding the dog run with fencing all around. Then a driveway gate to keep people out. Then a brake job on my van and while that was ongoing, my tiberon wipers died, motor good but the entire gearing and rod’s needed replacing. Luckily Dorman had the assembly.👍👍. 
Then back to the van with a few problems that had no codes, speedometer at 100 and only moving about 40. Then engine dies and trans not shifting. After a tuneup same problems , a vss on the trans no help . Then I got a code nbr 3 cyl. Replaced plug which looked Fouled did not fix it so I checked the distributor cap only to find nbr 3 open from contact to plug . It was brand new . No running good but still doing 100 . Back in I went cleaning grounds and checking for more chewed up wires.
   Since I was in the car I decided to fix a few other things that they don’t sell parts for . NLA is the theme on my cars. Funny thing was since I spend time looking for parts I found a deal on rear shocks that I needed for my EL Camino 😂👍 that job only took two hours to install a new set of air shocks in the rear .
  Then rebuilding an Pella awning window the rotted out 2k to replace but with 150$ of wood all better now.
  I hope this is it but I’m old enough to realize it’s probably not.
Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Getting derailed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 21, 2024, 11:14:00 PM »
 :)

At least you have good weather !  Can you send some of those blue skies over here please ?

Brian

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Friday,March 22, 2024, 05:04:55 AM »
 I’ll try,
 It wasn’t all that bad , I got to go to a car show but sadly without my car.
 Here are some pics of some beautiful cars.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,March 24, 2024, 03:22:39 PM »
  Another minor job turned into a all day affair.
   a simple ground cleaning with a power antenna module swap-out turned into a nightmare.
Sorry, I have maybe some pics of the area that I can post, but I just wanted to complete this job. To get the antenna out the battery needed to come out, no problem until the hold-down bolt snaps off. then I remove the tray that holds it down and find everything rotted out.  No problem ,I remove the tray... :FUNNY: then I have to make up a plate to hold the battery in place. Two hours later everything going back together , Maybe. The universal fit antennas mask is to short and its wiring is not anything like OEM. anyway its back together except for the connections to the radio. tomorrow is another day.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 03:00:48 PM »
  Who would have thunk it.
  The cause of my 1998 GMC van stalling maybe even shutting down at 40 MPH was the instrument cluster .
 The airmotor provides a signal to the ecm provided by the VSS . my speedometer would bounce around and peg out at 100 mph when only doing 40.
 after talking to a GMC parts person they said they had tons of problems with this. I ordered a complete cluster from a salvage yard and was skeptical it would fix the problem. the individual 'Stepper motors '( now called airmotors)were more expensive.
  Even my 2012 sonata wanted some maintenance. I brought her to the dealer. @ repairs done for free. I even get to park it back in the garage...But dont tell my wife.
 Well now I have all my cars running again, now to put them on the road.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 03:03:10 PM »
 :beerchug:

Now that you got those other cars out of the way, it's time to get the Lotus on the road!!  :)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Friday,April 05, 2024, 06:54:41 PM »
 Absolutely BDA , besides I needed the van to pull a trailer and to store the lotus . 😁👍👍
Dave