Author Topic: 72 TC restomod from BAT  (Read 3777 times)

Offline ralf

Re: 72 TC restomod from BAT
« Reply #90 on: Friday,September 23, 2022, 09:05:44 AM »
Hello,
I start to make a post 'BigValve style valve cover for TOYOTA 4AGE 16V engine' at  'Garage' where I show how the cover was made.

Offline Polopharm

« Reply #91 on: Monday,November 14, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »
Long time since last post, have been lurking in the background. We pulled the head today, cylinders have evidence of at least one blown head gasket as they are deeply pitted. My engine thinks it was blown several times before. ( i drained the coolant and added mystery oil to prevent rust)Too far gone to just hone. So rather than do to someone else what was done to me....block and head both off to machine shop.
We will take the opportunity to re fabricate the slave cylinder set up, and my mechanic is dead set on improving the shift lever feel- ie make it so it doesn't feel like you are pulling a stick thru clay.

Also going to fabricate new brackets for alternator and compressor.

And have the resident fabricator see what he can do to improve pedal set up.

Oh and with car on a lift you can see where someone tried to jack the car with the oil pan!!

So I guess when this work is complete I can decide if I keep it or sell it. At least this way I can sell with a clear conscience, and perhaps not lose my shirt if I relist on BAT.
Maybe the car will turn out to be what I expected when I bought it!!

Online BDA

« Reply #92 on: Monday,November 14, 2022, 04:40:03 PM »
Man! You really have been through the ringer on this car! I really feel so badly for you! I should have been a nice car. It can be when put together correctly but I can understand if you decide you want to cut your losses. Hopefully, what you do will make it what it should have been and you'll want to keep it.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #93 on: Monday,November 14, 2022, 06:49:57 PM »
I think Ralf stated he has spares of the castings to replicate what he did for his Alternator and Cam Cover. 
Definitely a PITA to do, but the result might be worth it since you are already in this deep.

Offline Polopharm

« Reply #94 on: Sunday,November 20, 2022, 09:38:11 AM »
I love the look of Ralfs set up, if he had the parts on the shelf for sale - I would have them!

We are doing remote water pump, using those bolt holes to mount the alternator butter. But it will stay on the wrong side of the engine!  I got some elise/toyota bits to add a few lotus badges to the engine, the elise oil cap has an emblem on it as does the spark plug cover, so while not stock looking, it will have some Lotus branding.
Block and head are at machine shop, and we are working on the clutch hydraulics. Going with a similar set up to Colliers.

I was the one that bought the aluminum engine cover grills off ebay. Will let everyone know how they look when they arrive.

Offline Polopharm

« Reply #95 on: Monday,December 19, 2022, 06:09:03 AM »
Hi all I tried to search this but to no avail. Is there a parts list to add 2 struts to the engine cover in place of the prop rod. I hate using it. Makes me very nervous. The sagging is also not very sexy.

Online BDA

« Reply #96 on: Monday,December 19, 2022, 07:43:26 AM »
Yes! First, a pro tip: bookmark this page (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm). It is the greatest amount of information on Europas and popular mods anywhere. Of particular interest to your request is this link (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/body/struts/hoodproject.html). It should be noted that Lotus Supplies sells a kit (https://www.lotus-supplies.com/parts/bodywork/fittings-bodywork/engne-cover-auto-lift-kit/). r.d. enterprises (http://rdent.com/) probably does also. They used to but no longer list it on their website. I would not be surprised to learn that DBE (209-754-5802) also sells a kit but you’ll have to call them.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #97 on: Monday,December 19, 2022, 09:27:05 AM »
I have fitted the kit sold by Banks/Lotus supplies to 7 Europas.

They work very well, but drilling the holes for the long 1/4" bolts can be a challenge, and you may need to use 1/2" longer bolts, as they can go through the seat belt bracing bars from the seat belt reels to the rear shocker top mounting.