Author Topic: 65 Seven S2  (Read 1523 times)

Offline SENC

65 Seven S2
« on: Friday,January 03, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
I know, not a Europa, but a close family member.  I've been lurking as a member for a bit as I considered for a while acquiring a TC Europa as a stablemate for my 69 Elan.  Then came the opportunity to buy this Seven and I couldn't pass up on it.  I know there are a number of common bits with the Europa, and suppose there are a number of Seven owners here, too, so hope you'll let this owner of Lotus siblings drop in with pictures and questions periodically.

Henry

Offline BDA

Re: 65 Seven S2
« Reply #1 on: Friday,January 03, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »
First,  :Welcome:

Next, She's a beauty. Driving a 7 is about the most fun you can have with with your clothes on (Europas are a bit more practical though)! Congratulations on your purchase! Which engine does it have?

Offline SENC

« Reply #2 on: Friday,January 03, 2020, 06:32:15 PM »
Thanks!  It has the original Cosworth 1500 with the same Webers it started life with, so I'm very excited.  Turned over without a hitch after a long transport from the UK and seems to run quite well at idle and in first gear, so promising.  At least one of the rear brakes or maybe the handbrake is stuck in slightly closed position, the car doesn't roll as easily as it should, and it hasn't been on the road anywhere in at least a few years, maybe longer so really need to refresh the brake and suspension systems at a minimum before I can safely test it on the road. I can't wait to spend some time this weekend in and under it to start investigating and building a list of todos and needs.

Offline Arizona

« Reply #3 on: Friday,January 03, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
I am overcome with envy. More pictures please.
George F. Johnson

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Friday,January 03, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »
It's a rare thing to hear a vehicle described as less practical than a Europa and find myself agreeing!  None the less, I am also consumed with envy.  Enjoy!

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 04:00:31 AM »
Hello Henry!

:Welcome:

what a beauty!
(the car that the Europa failed to replace!)

as with previous comments, I’m very envious!

Mark

Offline Arizona

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
On the subject of practicality, I've never had the pleasure of driving a 7 but at this point in my life a car I can step into might be considered more practical than one I have to crawl into.
George F. Johnson

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
I’ve always been fascinated by Seven’s and have a number of friends who own them.  :Welcome:

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »
On the subject of practicality, I've never had the pleasure of driving a 7 but at this point in my life a car I can step into might be considered more practical than one I have to crawl into.

Good point about getting into it, but the calculation is a bit different if it's raining or you have to carry much of anything! Having driven two for a short time (way too short) it would be worth it to spend some (a lot) time trying to find someone to let you drive theirs (there's a LOG this year in Utah). Failing that, if you have to do it at gun point, it would be worth the jail time!  :FUNNY:

Offline SENC

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 07:24:09 PM »
I am overcome with envy. More pictures please.

« Last Edit: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 07:26:11 PM by SENC »

Offline SENC

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 07:28:45 PM »
more pictures

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »
Very nice! I know you'll have a lot of fun with her once you get things sorted out!

I should say that it shows a certain lack of decorum to dangle news of this acquisition in front of us, but on the other hand, we can live vicariously in your new automotive situation!

Good luck and don't be afraid to keep us up to date on any news about your new baby!

Offline Arizona

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 07:47:08 PM »
Thank you and...Wow, that is nice!
George F. Johnson

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #13 on: Sunday,January 05, 2020, 12:42:35 PM »
 :Welcome:
That looks like a very nice clean example.
If there is anything that needs sorting out then it shouldn’t take you too long - they are so simple and easy to work on that you will be out and wearing the biggest smile possible in no time!

You will be surprised at how much you can actually pack into one with a bit of thought and you only need the roof up when you aren’t using it! - Side screens/doors fitted and forward motion = very little rain on the occupants even in fairly heavy rain (should you get caught out! - get wetter stopping and putting the roof up than if you just carry on!!)

Keep us posted, you will have a blast.

Offline SENC

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,January 05, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
Thanks all, and sorry for the lack of decorum BDA!  ;D  But no-one need resort to gunpoint just to drive one, just coming down to southeastern NC and helping out will earn a drive!

Got to spend some time in and underneath this weekend, overall looks pretty solid.  Brake master cylinder and clutch master and slave cylinders will definitely need to be rebuilt, and most rubber bushes will need replacement.  Pulled apart one of the rear brakes, overall looked pretty good so cleaned up and rebuilt with existing pieces - might get away with just a new rubber dust jacket for the cylinder - will see what I see with the other one when I can get into it, hopefully next weekend.

Ideally I'll get the suspension and brakes cleaned up and put back together over the winter and have a driver I can use some in the spring and summer to determine how much deeper I need to go before really using it as it was intended.