Author Topic: 54/1846  (Read 13808 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 54/1846
« Reply #75 on: Saturday,January 16, 2021, 03:29:45 PM »
Great news!  :beerchug:

Offline rascott

« Reply #76 on: Thursday,April 15, 2021, 09:58:34 AM »
found a wiper switch, but it still needs mounting.
has delay, hi/low, and will run a wash pump.
made me smile when the blades parked.

Offline rascott

« Reply #77 on: Wednesday,November 17, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
i took "the lotus" on a 300+ mile adventure.
things were working well for the first 20 or so miles, and i was having a great time on a nice mountain road, but after reaching the summit realized that my charging system wasn't working anymore....
ran on what was left in the battery to an auto parts store(o'reilly), where they gave me a new battery and located a new alternator.

this added @2hrs to my trip, but i was pleased that the parts were warrantied and available.
the rest of the run was trouble free.
the cooling system worked well also- my toy mr2 radiator/fan/waterpump cobble performed wonderfully.
i am glad i had used this suzuki alternator- much easier to source than one for a lotus(?).

Offline rascott

« Reply #78 on: Wednesday,November 17, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
my radiator.....

the rescue continues, and is great fun.

Offline BDA

« Reply #79 on: Wednesday,November 17, 2021, 08:25:59 AM »
Glad to hear everything went well (or most everything anyway). I would have been concerned about your radiator and electric water pump and that behaved flawlessly so I'd say that was a big win!!!  :beerchug:

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #80 on: Wednesday,November 17, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »
Just love the radiator swap. have you opened up the area in front of the left wheel to get even more air flow? That wiper switch looks great, I am installing an electric washer pump. Where did you source the switch?
Sandy

Offline rascott

« Reply #81 on: Thursday,November 18, 2021, 01:20:49 PM »
sandy- cole hersee #75600-4 12vdc.
i got it thru a local auto parts, but i expect marine supply would also work.
note that the switch part is a 2" cube, so don't do what i did, and make sure you have the room(i bored the hole first).
thanks for the radiator comment.
i still have the original radiator, but i think it needs recoring. this mr2 radiator fit where the spare would no longer fit ('cause i like the waterpump),and was much more efficient.
i considered a cutout in the left well, but added some foam air dams to force most of the air thru the radiator, figuring it would have to use the existing opening. so far good enough, but i may revisit.

Offline rascott

« Reply #82 on: Monday,November 22, 2021, 09:09:14 AM »
considerations from the road trip.....
the little renault motor could use an overhaul. i believe it to be original and never opened. it used a little oil, but that seems to be more leak than burn- used @1/4 qt.
there is a coolant leak where attempts to repair a broken manifold stud seems to have poked into a water gallery.
it otherwise runs well enough, and i finally figured the weber 32/36 jetting to make it smooth and responsive.
i will revisit the pedal assembly, to gain some foot room, and plan to service the rear axles and rear brakes.
the transmission works great.
a windscreen defroster would be nice- currently the hot air from the front will clear things once it's warmed up and driving. i have blocked most of the openings into the cockpit because of the heat problem. i see no way for ambient air to ventilate anything, it's only air that has come thru the radiator. this seemed to be the case with the original radiator, but seems worse with the way i have it now. perhaps the mr2 radiator is a mistake, and i should try again.
it is still mostly a shell on wheels, and needs seat refurbishment and other interior treatment.
i will continue to play with "the lotus". great fun!
richard

Offline BDA

« Reply #83 on: Monday,November 22, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
Congratulations on your road trip and your successes!  :beerchug:

The rest is part of the fun IMHO. Enjoy developing your baby!