Author Topic: 54/1846  (Read 13893 times)

Offline rascott

Re: 54/1846
« Reply #60 on: Sunday,September 22, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »
Those aluminum gas tanks are sure nice!
i agree.
this tank was repaired in two spots. the fail is at one of those stamped "ribs", and i have removed the patch.
it doesn't seem to be a rust issue- more of a small break in the rib, and i will try another patch.
"the lotus" budget would prefer a less expensive solution, if possible, and it could be fun.....?
also- the float has fluid in it. i don't think enough to sink it, and the sender seems functional, so mabe it's a wire issue.
any clever float replacement ideas? somehow this thing must leak, but i see no signs of a hole in it.

havnfun110619
managed to repair(so far) the fuel tank, pulled the aftermarket fuel gauge that had failed-reinstalled original, started test drives to work, replaced ignition points, condenser, and coil(something in there seemed to overheat), and took a nice long drive in the country.
quite pleased with myself.

colorin'111119
been doin' a little "bodywork". none of this is at the quality i've seen on this forum, but …….
kinda treating "the lotus" like my boat. used bilgecoat on the undersides of the boot lid and engine cover.
still have ideas on making the engine cover open backwards- experimenting with some hinges- with encouraging results.
« Last Edit: Monday,November 11, 2019, 01:43:27 PM by rascott »

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #61 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »
What is your thinking with the back opening engine cover?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #62 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 08:54:37 AM »
To find the fuel sender float leak, drop the float in recently boiling water.  Might be possible to seal the hole with a dab of epoxy.  New senders are available.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
A Ford Mustang brass float is the same. I ended up using a gas tank sealer on my tank after welding two spots only to have a new one start leaking a month later.

Offline rascott

« Reply #64 on: Friday,November 15, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
What is your thinking with the back opening engine cover?
i have been tinkering away on this little rescue project, and got tired of working under the cover.
it was much easier with the cover removed, but that was also a pia.
currently i have crudely attached a couple of hinges to the rear, as a "proof of concept", and am pleased to have much better access to the engine compartment.
i have some thoughts of some articulating hinges that may lift the cover before it hinges back- we will see how that may work...….
i recognize this may be seen as heresy to those doing full restorations. my apologies.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #65 on: Friday,November 15, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
Another option is to use the stock hinges but use hair pin clips as the hinge pins.  Makes it super easy to re & re the cover.

Offline rascott

« Reply #66 on: Friday,November 15, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »
thanks for the float tips, and the fuel tank situation.
so far my tank leak repairs have been successful, but i am keeping an eye on it.
the level sender ohms fine, no signs of a hole in the float(except the fluid in it!), and it functions with the original fuel gauge.
the aftermarket gauge only worked for a couple of days....
i would not recommend glowshift gauges. bought a set(+some replacements)- few still work.
mabe it's just me?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #67 on: Friday,November 15, 2019, 12:03:44 PM »
If there is fluid in the float, there's a hole/crack. 

Offline rascott

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday,May 20, 2020, 06:54:26 PM »
been driving the lotus around a bit, just to get some exersize.
seems predictable enough for local use, and i'm starting to put some time at making it easier to drive, and mabe more comfortable.
i keep moving the original(?) radiator fan around in my shop. perhaps somebody is looking for one. i made the motor run, and the framework looks salvageable, but it's kinda loud and vibrates. probably because the fanblade was used to shred something.....

i hate throwing stuff out, but am sure i won't use it. i could put it in a box.

Offline rascott

« Reply #69 on: Thursday,May 28, 2020, 05:44:54 PM »
still a work in progress, but it's on the road. been using it as my parts chaser, unless the parts are for it.....

been making some adjustments to the suspension to find better ride, still trying to get a speedo to work, much wiremess to corral, still happy with most function.
i'm considering moving the battery into the front, 'cause the spare tire won't fit anymore, 'cause the electric pump is now in the way...…
finally got that plumbing finished, for now.

thinking of putting the spare here.

making more green to the body, finally got the closing plate closing the gap, and have found that the "closing panels" in the front boot make it run cooler on the road. made some cardboard "templates", and was impressed with the difference.
no changes to that backward opening engine cover mock-up, but am glad i started it. one of these days i'll put more thought into that.
trying to decide how to run battery cable from the front- currently the only path is thru the right fenderwell, but mabe there is a better way?
moving right along...
still looking for the right box for that fan......

Offline BDA

« Reply #70 on: Thursday,May 28, 2020, 06:27:25 PM »
Great that you're driving your baby, rascott! Clicking on your pictures (actually touching them on my iPad, maybe it would work on my computer) didn't give me a bigger picture so you may want to look into that.

Offline rascott

« Reply #71 on: Thursday,May 28, 2020, 10:39:18 PM »
hmmm....
i see only a blank photobucket page when i click on them.
wonder what that's about.
 thnx 4 looking/ letting me know.

Offline rascott

« Reply #72 on: Thursday,October 01, 2020, 08:26:32 PM »
the lotus has been making frequent little parts runs.
ended up putting the battery down behind the passenger seat.
lost another electric oil pressure gauge(#3), so i ran the copper tube and installed a more foolproof one.
still don't have a speedometer, and it still runs hotter than i feel it should.
i have a radiator from a mr2 that may replace the original.
i have been suspicious of the efficiency of the original.
got it running rather well, but still have no freeway cruising.
pleased enough with the backwards opening engine compartment to add some hood pins(and a pair up front).
the rescue continues.

Offline BDA

« Reply #73 on: Thursday,October 01, 2020, 08:34:30 PM »
You can get an aluminum radiator on eBay for as little as $125. I tried to provide a link but it was ridiculously long. Just search for “lotus Europa radiator” and you’ll find some. One I saw was even in the US!

Offline rascott

« Reply #74 on: Saturday,January 16, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
just a touch, for the new year.
"the lotus" continues to make runs around town, and continues to morph into a more confident driver.
the miata radiator has solved the heating oddities i was having, finally got a speedometer that i believe, and did some more circuit neatening.
it still makes me smile.