Author Topic: Europa TCST  (Read 46835 times)

Offline TurboFource

Europa TCST
« on: Saturday,October 24, 2020, 06:48:24 PM »
My First Europa is a one owner, never wrecked 73 Twin Cam Special (it even has the ashtray).
Came with lots of information, documentation, manuals etc. A complete restoration is needed as it has been sitting for over 40 years (on pavement and covered).

It also has something "special" under the hood, a Schwitzer 3LD turbo (thus the T after TCS) Piranha ignition, home made water/methanol injection, headers etc. This was all done back in 1975 so special engineering had to be done as turbos back then did not have seals on the compressor and they would allow oil to be pulled into the engine if they saw vacuum.
It was estimated to make over 200hp.

The first owner was CWTech who is a member here. Lots of interesting engineering was performed by him to make this system work with the limitations of what was available back then. I plan to upgrade and simplify the system with a more modern turbo with the required compressor seal and a waste gate as they tried to limit boost back then by the size of the exhaust housing or restricting things. I will restore the original system and save it as it rather interesting.

The car has a sunroof (which I may leave) but CWTech saved the roof cut out thankfully. The frame appears to be solid except for the bottom of the T-section, all the metal around the suspension points seems solid when poked with a scribe. I will first remove the body to repair and preserve the frame and redo all the running gear. Then interior, aesthetics will be last in case I run out of funds and have to save again. This will not be a concours restoration (though I am picky) but will be built to be driven! I will do all work myself as the budget is a concern ( no paint job that costs many times what I paid for the car!)

CWTech is a great a guy and I hope he posts more about the history of the car!

I guess it is fitting my first Europa is turbocharged since I go by TurboFource 8)
« Last Edit: Saturday,September 02, 2023, 03:29:49 AM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

Re: Europa TCST
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,October 24, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »
That sounds like a really interesting project, Turbo! I look forward to seeing more about it along with some pictures!

Keep us up to date!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 25, 2020, 06:33:55 AM »
The turbo system is draw through which was pretty much the norm in the 70s. He tried a side draft Weber first and had great difficulty getting the jetting right. He switched to a single Stromberg CD175 with a different needle and said that worked quite well. My research shows this carb is good for about 250hp draw through and much more blow through. Interestingly, Volvo sold a blow through set up in Europe using this carb.....

In order to monitor things there are boost gauges for intake and exhaust pressure, I believe there are 6 thermocouples that are displayed on a dash gauge using a rotary switch to select which thermocouple is being used.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,October 25, 2020, 07:07:52 AM »
I remember a turbo kit and as I remember, it used a single Stromberg. Somebody will probably have an old brochure on it.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,October 25, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,October 25, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »
That's what I remembered! Thanks for posting that, JB! I had forgotten is was done by Checkpoint America - I believe it was started by Dan Gurney.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,October 25, 2020, 03:16:56 PM »
Nice! I like the part "will out accelerate a Daytona Ferrari from 0 a 120 mph"!

CWTech did not use a kit , he did (or had made) all the parts he used.
« Last Edit: Sunday,October 25, 2020, 03:21:42 PM by TurboFource »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #7 on: Monday,October 26, 2020, 05:21:20 AM »
My first challenge will be trying to get a jack under a Europa with four flat tires.....

Online cwtech

« Reply #8 on: Monday,October 26, 2020, 06:03:25 AM »
As far as Checkpoint America, I don't believe Dan Gurney had any involvement.  ...Back in 1974, when I spoke with them, it was owned by Bob (Vanderhoof) or (Vanderhoot).  [CRS strikes again!]  :headbanger:

The Checkpoint America conversion was not sold as a kit.  ...Turbo installations had to be done by them.  ...That is why I designed my own.

Checkpoint America used a Rajay turbo, which did have a seal on the suction side.  ...Air Research also had a small turbo which used a seal on the suction side.  ...At that time, it was very difficult to purchase a single turbo, as those companies wanted to deal on a larger scale.

Crane Cams (in Hollandale, Florida) was just getting into the turbo business and selling components.  ...They were in process of developing kits, but that never progressed.  ...I became a Crane distributor (long story) and was able to buy direct from them.  ...They used Schwitzer turbos, which had a "piston-ring" type seal on the suction side, and were not good if subjected to high manifold vacuum.

The Schwitzer turbo was fine for a blow-thru (the carb) system, but weighing the pros & cons, I wanted a draw-thru system ...I incorporated a design to isolate the compressor side of the turbo from manifold vacuum, yet it could still "free-wheel" to reduce turbo lag. 

Back then there was little information about turbocharging available.  ...Many people that knew wouldn't talk, and many people that talked, didn't know!   ...I learned a lot through trial & error.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,October 28, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
First challenge accomplished, it was quite fun to get a jack under with four flats. Now on four dollies😉

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,October 28, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
Checkpoint American was also known as Dan Gurney’s Checkpoint America - a ‘sort of’ franchise operation.  I bought my 74 TCS from Checkpoint America in 1978.  The guy who owned it will remain nameless.  When I asked ‘nameless’ if the car ever had any body damage, he paused, stroked his chin and said no - $6500 later the car was mine.  About 10
years later I had an attack to brain fade and drove into the woods about one block from our house - necessitating a new frame.  Upon removing the body from the frame I discovered the original frame had undergone a ‘body off’ repair - ‘nameless’ strayed from the truth.  Came to find the fellow who repainted the car possessed the truth and passed it on to me - he was a fellow Lotus Espirit owner and a member of the local Lotus club.  Love the car regardless’

Tom
74TCS - 4605R

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,October 31, 2020, 04:53:51 AM »
TCST also has an oil pan of increased capacity, adjustable lower links, electric fuel pump, hotter coil, cartridge style water pump (CW designed this), And Koni shocks (hopefully these are still good). CWTech saved everything he took off the car like emissions stuff etc.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #12 on: Friday,November 06, 2020, 03:34:57 AM »
Since I have not taken a wrench to my Europa yet I was curious if all the hardware is "standard" or metric?

Is there a list of what the original color of the various chassis components etc. are supposed to be?

What are the best places to get part for chassis renovation (suspension, brakes etc.?).
« Last Edit: Friday,November 06, 2020, 09:28:32 AM by TurboFource »

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Friday,November 06, 2020, 06:43:14 AM »
Everything except the tranny (and Webers and Delortos) are English.

IIRC, the frame and suspension was matte black.

Front suspension parts can be hard to find. You may have to rely on tubular reproductions.

IIRC, brake cylinders and calipers are still available either from the usual suspects (r.d., Bean, lotus-supplies, SJ Sportscars). Master cylinders are more of a challenge.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #14 on: Friday,November 06, 2020, 11:25:27 AM »
I would love to see pictures of this Turbo Europa! I do remember seeing the checkpoint Europa years ago during my research and restoration of my own Europa TCS.

Good luck with the restoration - Plenty of great people here that will guide you in the right direction.

:ttiwwp: