Author Topic: Banks Bodyshell  (Read 1021 times)

Offline dcb1

Banks Bodyshell
« on: Monday,January 18, 2021, 10:20:21 AM »
Does anyone know the differences between the standard bodyshell and the Banks bodyshell?
In particular is there more leg room in cockpit ( I am 6' 3" ).

Thanks

Offline Clifton

Re: Banks Bodyshell
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 18, 2021, 12:08:24 PM »
I don't but Richard Winter is a big guy. He said, but it's been a few years ago since I called. Are you a thin 6,3 or thick? I don't see a heavy 6'3" fitting. If you don't find your answers here I would give a call.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,January 18, 2021, 12:38:51 PM »
First,  :Welcome: dcb1!!

Second, I don't know the details about Richard's bodyshell. I would assume that they would be a pretty direct replacement of an original but would probably have some improvements. A call to Richard should get you the answer. I advise calling as he's not much for doing email.

Third, whether you'd fit or not depends a lot on where you are tall. I know a guy who is at least 6'3" and he says he's comfortable in his stock Europa. I think he's tall in the legs and he bends them a little. When I was just about 6'2" (I'm 6'1 1/2" now, but I compressed!) and I was comfortable in my car and I drive with my legs straight out. I admit that my hair brushed up against the headliner which was mildly annoying when I thought about it.

Fourth, I'm apparently tall above the waist. When I rebuilt my car, I put a bubble (like a Gurney bubble) in the roof. It gives me a couple of inches of extra headroom. The headliner conforms to it perfectly and it's a BIG attention getter! Once you have a pattern, it's pretty simple to do. There is a downside and that is that when looking out of the driver's window near the top of the window your vision is restricted a bit. This is annoying when turning right at a stop sign (for you, it would be when you're turning left). I don't consider it dangerous as it is not an issue when I'm driving.

Fifth, some people delete the seat adjustment mechanism and bolt their seat directly to the floor. That gives an inch or two more head room.

You might discuss mods  you could make to the body with Richard. I considered lowering the back of the floor an inch or so but since my seat was going to be against the firewall, I figured I'd need to make changes to the firewall and the struts for the seatbelts behind the firewall so I abandoned the idea. It's possible that there other body or seat mods that would help.

Let us know what you do! Good luck!

Offline gideon

« Reply #3 on: Monday,January 18, 2021, 02:19:49 PM »
:Welcome: dcb1.

The seating space inside a Europa is bounded by the the firewall at the rear and the T section of the chassis frame at the front. The drivers feet go just behind the chassis T section.  If the seat is fully back then there is not much more than the thickness of the seat back between the drivers back and the firewall.  The twin cam has an extra inch of headroom and a more upright firewall to give extra legroom.  The Banks bodyshell claims to be similar to the type 47, but looks to me like it might actually be based on the type 54 (S2).  So I would expect there to be less headroom and less legroom in a Banks bodyshell than in a twin cam.

Mike Kimberley managed the twin cam project and made sure he could fit comfortably. I think he's about your height. Here's a picture of ACBC, Prince Philip and Mike Kimberley for comparison.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #4 on: Monday,January 18, 2021, 09:33:45 PM »
Hello dcb1!

:Welcome:

Mark

Offline dcb1

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,January 19, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I see that MK was apparently 6'5" .  If he really was that height I cannot see any way he could have driven a Europa. He looks about 2" taller than P Philip in the picture who was 6' 0" in his day so I think Mike was somewhere about the same height as I am.

I had an S2 when I was much younger and I could drive that ok .

I tried a T/C at Paul Matty's and despite being slightly less tall but about same weight I could not drive it comfortably.

The T/C had a standard steering wheel whereas the S2 had a smaller wheel , so I will try to find a car with a smaller wheel to have a go.

From the description of the construction it would seem that modifying  the car  to get more room would be difficult - limited by the chassis at the front and by the bulkhead at the back. Just wondering if any of the engine swaps would leave more space to modify the bulkhead ?

Other question I had was has anyone installed a hydraulic clutch to get rid of the cable through the bodyshell?

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,January 19, 2021, 11:17:00 AM »

Other question I had was has anyone installed a hydraulic clutch to get rid of the cable through the bodyshell?

Yes I did it when the car consumed a couple of clutch cables in 2 weeks, never felt the clutch was any good before I put the hydraulics on.
Used a Girling 0.7" M/C and an Aston slave, took a day to fit & never had an issue again.
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,January 20, 2021, 02:11:54 AM »
The Banks body shells originate from mouldings taken from original shells. The inner moulding is pretty much the same as an original and it is the outer shell that has been modified to allow for wider track, more wheel clearance and different styling.

You can gain some space here and there by carefully considering where and how things are positioned - some space can be gained from replacing the bulkhead with a thinner sheet (flat fibreglass board for example) and positioning it slightly further back (gain about 1.5/2” without making the engine bay clearance a major issue).
I’d say that the biggest gain can be made from changing the seats and considering the position at which you sit. - it’s a packaging thing!

My car has an original S2 shell, the bulkhead was replaced and positioned slightly further back, the seat is a bucket with a separate headrest that is mounted on the bulkhead - the seat is reclined and the front edge is lifted so that your legs are supported under your thighs but bent at the knee to reduce the distance required down to the pedals. The steering wheel is considerably smaller (and removable) and is positioned further back into the cabin away from the dash.
All of the above was done to offset a full roll cage which reduces the amount of interior space available BUT whilst I am 5’11” (was never really going to have a problem fitting) my brother is 6’5” (has long legs) and still fits wearing a crash helmet that doesn’t rub on the roof (no bubble in the roof either). - my seat is fixed also so the exact same position that works for me also works for him, he just fills the free space I have that bit more!!

Offline dcb1

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,January 20, 2021, 10:32:48 AM »
JR73, your reply makes me hopeful that the steering wheel size is the issue. I can remember having a slightly "knees up " driving position in the original s2 , an moving the wheel a bit would also help.

On the hydraulic clutch . Cant think why this is not a more common mod ( maybe it is ? Did Banks or someone make a kit ) . Seems like an easy and obvious mod.

Thanks for all the replies .

Offline Clifton

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,January 20, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »
I also am using a hydraulic clutch. I have a flat bottom steering wheel too.  Gives a little more room sitting and turn a little to give more room for in/out.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,January 20, 2021, 11:26:14 PM »
Hi dcb,

Firstly  :Welcome:.

Secondly, my dad did his apprenticeship at the Inverurie Loco Works just after the war.

Thirdly back to your question! I’m 6’2” and I’m ok in my S2. The only slight issue is the handbrake handle hits my knee. I’m slightly longer in the leg than the torso so I have no issues with headroom.

Offline dcb1

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,January 21, 2021, 08:08:04 AM »
Bodzer,

do you have a standard or a smaller than standard steering wheel?
Tks

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,January 21, 2021, 11:19:42 PM »
Standard.

Offline dcb1

« Reply #13 on: Friday,January 22, 2021, 08:46:25 AM »
Bodzer,

ok - maybe its the s2 seat position that makes the difference then.

Sadly Inverurie Loco works only survives today as the local football team ( quite good actually ) . The original works buildings have now been turned into flats and a marketplace.