Author Topic: DIY Leakdown tester  (Read 1474 times)

Online BDA

DIY Leakdown tester
« on: Monday,April 27, 2020, 10:31:50 AM »
A compression tester is a useful tool, but a leakdown tester can help you find where your cylinder is leaking (which valve(s)?, rings?, head gasaket?). Inexpensive leakdown testers can be found on ebay, Amazon, etc. but they usually get mixed reviews.

Many years ago, a racing buddy of mine made his own leakdown tester. It was very simple but after seeing what some companies are charging for their leakdown testers, I suspected there was more to them than I thought. Well, I did some poking around on the interweb and found that there really isn't. Anybody on this forum can make his own. I found several videos that explain it better than I can. Here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UcOn8OEt0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmefGONh_g

The hardest thing about it for most of us will be getting a #60 drill bit.

I took apart a leakdown tester I got from Harbor Freight (long story we don't need to get into here and we can agree that Harbor Freight is not the standard for leakdown testers) and the orifice it used was 5/64" so I'm thinking that if a #60 drill bit is difficult to find and you don't want to get a set of numbered drill bits, I'm thinking a 1/16" drill bit is close enough. In fact, one of the videos I found (not listed) did the same thing.

I haven't finished building mine but I'll post pictures and how well it worked.

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: DIY Leakdown tester
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 27, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
Looking forward to the result. As much as I am a proponent of re-purposing and building tools specialty tools. I decided to buy commercially available leak down tester instead. I needed to test an engine as soon as possible and didn't have the time to build my own. Looking at the video links you posted, it looks pretty simple to do.

Going into the actual testing process, one of the problems I had testing an engine out of the car was that there  was no way to lock down a cylinder in place to keep it from being forced down under air pressure. Keeping all the plugs in place except for the cylinder being tested helped but did not totally eliminate the issue. I may have to put the flywheel back on and cobble up a method to hold the flywheel in place.

« Last Edit: Monday,April 27, 2020, 03:09:48 PM by Grumblebuns »

Online BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,April 27, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »
It is easier in the car. I know we used my buddy's on his V8 race motor but I don't remember if it was in or out of the car. Given the greater resistance to turning from rings, etc. it may not have mattered.

I bought the Harbor Freight tester mostly because I didn't quite trust that it was as simple as I had remembered and the price was good enough that it payed me not to have to fool with it and gave me some confidence that it was done correctly.  I also figured they were simple enough that even they couldn't screw it up. I think the real problem was only the leakage gauge and considered just replacing it with a new 100 psi gauge but then I figured I'd build one up mostly from parts I have laying around. It'll be a few days because my gauge is on order.

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
Well, I was thinking that the videos I posted on this pretty much told the story but Brian (EuropaTC) suggested I post the results of my leakdown tester build so here it is.

I used some of the parts from the Harbor Freight leakdown tester: one pressure gauge and the hoses. I used an old Sears air pressure regulator I had lying around figuring it is of better quality than the one that came on the HF leakdown tester. I had to buy a 100 psi gauge to replace the gauge that didn't work. In addition to that, I had to get some brass plumbing parts such as a union, a 'T', and an adapter. Which size you get will be determined by your gauge, regulator, and hose.

Making the tester was pretty much as the videos say. I used JB Weld to plug up the union and got a #60 drill bit from a hardware store to drill the 0.040" hole in the JB Weld. After that, it was just screwing it all together. I used Teflon tape to seal the threads (and because it looks so professional) but I really have had better luck using silicone sealer for sealing threads for air joints. As I say, I used the hoses that came with my old HF leakdown tester but I think some of the nicer compression testers have similar hoses so you might want to buy one of those and trade hoses between them.

How to use it:

Take off the valve or cam cover so you can make sure the valves are closed on the cylinder you're testing and take out all the spark plugs. Rotate the engine so that the cylinder your testing is at or near TDC with both valves closed and put it in gear (or the air pressure might try to turn the engine). Screw the hose into the spark plug hole and make sure your compressor or other compressed air source is providing more than 100 psi. Plug the hose of the tester onto the hose in the spark plug hole and adjust the regulator so that your regulator gauge reads 100 psi. Read the second gauge and that is the percentage of air retention. It's that easy. You won't get 100 psi on the second gauge because there will be leakage out the rings. A reading below 80 psi on the second gauge is cause for concern. If you have your headers and carbs off, you can listen from the exhaust or intake ports to see if your valves and which ones are leaking. You might have a leak in your head gasket so check for bubbles in your header tank and air from your dipstick tube for leakage into the water or oil passages in the head and check for leakage to an adjoining cylinder for leakage through that part of the head gasket.

This is a very useful tool, it's inexpensive to make, and it's easy to use.

Offline rascott

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 25, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »
i appreciate the write-up.
this is a tool i have had no experience with, but have always thought made sense.
you have inspired me to follow your example.
i like tools.
thanks, richard

Online BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 25, 2020, 09:11:02 PM »
Glad you found it interesting, rascott! There are videos on YouTube that show examples of how to use a leakdown tester as well as the two I posted earlier which explain how simple and inexpensive it is to make one.

Have fun!