Author Topic: New shocks and springs Front  (Read 5428 times)

Offline cal44

New shocks and springs Front
« on: Thursday,May 23, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »
Anyone here installed shocks in the springs.  I have scratched my head so much over this I am starting to get bald.

I made a compressor of two steel plates and threaded stock.  I have no problem compressing the spring but I have tried a bunch of tie wraps to stop it from expanding, they all popped when I eased up on the compressor.  Then I used 250 pound flat rope....it stretches to much.

The shocks are Spax with the adjustable platform.  Comments?

There has to be a way other than taking it to motorcycle shop.........this just seems silly I can't figure it out.

mike
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 25, 2013, 09:54:28 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Murramor

Re: New shocks and springs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,May 23, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
Mike

I am not sure what the exact problem is but I am guessing that your home made spring compressor takes up too much space for you to remove the shocks once the spring is compressed or is it that you can't remove the retaining collar at the top which just slides off once the spring is compressed (it has a slot in it).  My spring compressor consists of two threaded rods, each with small hooks which hold on to the springs.  When compressed sufficiently, the top collar slides off and the shock comes out.
Ron
54/2384

Offline 3929R

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,May 23, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »
Would your steel plates work with a large enough hole in the center to access and remove the shock? A hole just bigger than the inner diameter of the spring coil?  Maybe I don't understand the problem?
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,May 23, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »
Ron and Mark, here is what I made.  Maybe I am not getting this. I was hoping to compress the spring, tie off the spring with a bunch of tie wraps or flat pull rope (250lbs strength).  The rope stretches and tie wraps pull out.  I want to learn how to do this.  I have done suspensions from Porsches 356 and 911, Tigers, Boss 302's and I have never come across this problem.
Another thing  is, once the spring is compressed there isn't much room for a plate of steel to put between the coils.  I was thinking about a one or two piece plate and using extra 5/8" bolts half way down the threaded stock.  That way I have full adjustment where I want to clamp on to the spring with the plate/s.  Does that make sense?

Addendum:
Spring compressor for front springs is now finished and both sides are on the the shocks.  Install time is 20 minutes per shock as there are four bolts to adjust evenly.  The shock is inserted into the spring first then taken down by the top plate (1/2" thick).  I always over build.  Threaded stock is 5/8".
Once down about two inches I hooked the keeepers on to the spring.  Then quarter turns on the four bolts.  I suspect I could do it faster but safety first.  I did not weld on cups on the top and bottom  plates since the shock is in and the spring cannot get sideways to get me.  Material cost was $40 and I never need to rely on someone else mounting springs.
mike

« Last Edit: Saturday,May 25, 2013, 09:56:04 AM by cal44 »
United States Marines

Offline Murramor

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,May 23, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
I can't get to my workshop to get a picture of mine but the attached generic photo from Google Images is a reasonable approximation.  Perhaps my 'hooks' are slightly smaller but I have never had a problem with any Lotus springs using my compressors.  There is always enough space between the coils to get the springs compressed enough to remove the collar.  If you fitted similar hooks to the top of your home made compressor and left the bottom as it is,  I bet it would work. In fact your bottom end would solve the problem with my compressors in that the hooks try to slide down the slope of the spring and have to be forced to stay central.
regards
Ron
54/2384

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,May 23, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »
Hi Mike,

My spring compressors are like the ones Ron shows, the only mod I've done is to grind away part of the hooks because they were too thick as standard to go between the coils of the springs I have.  What I normally do is to leave the top & bottom coils free and place the hooks on maybe the 2nd/3rd coil from the end. Then compress until coil-bound, very slowly and usually with my foot on the spring at the time (assuming it's off the car  ;)  )  because I did have the compressors slip once and a spring bouncing around the workshop makes deep dints in whatever it hits !

Then I use plain rope to hold everything in place, as much a safety measure as anything. I wouldn't use tie wraps because being plastic they can go without warning and you're back dodging wild springs.   Flat rope is hard to tie a knot in, and maybe that's the problem you have ? If not plain rope then I'd use the nylon straps with steel adjusters that you use for holding cars on trailers, I forget what they're called but you know what I mean ?

Don't beat yourself up about that installation though, the springs you have look as if they will be quite a tight fit on those dampers and I'd also struggle with getting them on. The only thing I can think of with your compressor is to cut the top plate so that it's a "U" and can pass over the largest fixed washer on the top of the damper, then slide it between the 2nd coil down and go from there.   Tight engineering though, there doesn't look to be a lot of room to play with ?

Brian

Offline Roger

« Reply #6 on: Friday,May 24, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
Mike,  I have, I think,  the same rear spring/dampers as you, and I don't need a compressor at all - you can assemble by hand. I got mine from RD.
Assemble the top into the collets, and with the damper fully extended you can engage the screw perch at the bottom with only a little push.

Offline cal44

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,May 25, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Addendum to the original post.

Roger, I forgot to mention "front spring".  Now corrected and thanks for the heads up.

mike
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: New shocks and springs Front
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,May 25, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
Off Topic

Where did you get that Lotus clock on your garage wall from Mike ?  I NEEEEED one !!!!!!   :)

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,May 26, 2013, 04:56:59 AM »
Brian,

Ebay here in the States.  But I haven't seen one for a couple of months.  I will keep my eyes peeled for you.  I will try and go through my purchase history and see.  Just the two hands move, any more than that and I would be confused.

I liked the size and I think is was around $40 plus ship.  Battery operated.

mike
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Sunday,May 26, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »
If you can find the dealer in your history then I'd be obliged if you'd let me know. I'm also going to try Ebay UK, you never know someone might have some imported here. (and it doesn't matter that only 2 hands work, or in fact if it works at all - it's going in the workshop and time is suspended the minute I go through the door  ;)   )

Offline cal44

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,May 26, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
« Last Edit: Sunday,May 26, 2013, 03:31:50 PM by cal44 »
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #12 on: Sunday,May 26, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »
I think he does worldwide but I'll confirm it with him before I go the BIN route. 14" is a big clock, it'll look just right in a workshop.  Amazing the things you can buy these days, isn't it ?

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,May 28, 2013, 08:24:31 AM »
Cheers for the clock info. I spotted that in your picture also, and I've been in the market for a shop clock. Actually, I'n not sure why though. As Brian says, time IS distorted once inside.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #14 on: Thursday,May 30, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
Found this picture on the Yahoo Europa Group today. Now this is one brave guy  :huh:

« Last Edit: Thursday,May 30, 2013, 05:13:58 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)