Author Topic: Twin Cam Special 2267P  (Read 6186 times)

Offline RafM

Re: Twin Cam Special 2267P
« Reply #120 on: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 03:14:28 PM »

I'd noticed the steering wheel was scraping against the column surround and that the "outer column" that holds the indicator/headlight stalks could rotate slightly and also move in and out so I decided to look at that.  I also wanted to finish getting the centre horn push to work.

The outer column was moving inside the clamp that holds it to the dashboard with two studs, one of which is a ground point for some of the wiring.  After I took it apart I noticed a shaped steel spacer which I assume is supposed to locate in the groove on the inside of the two clamp halves (it's easier to look at the pictures). I assume that the join faces up so that it doesn't pinch the wiring held in the lower half of the clamp. Can anyone tell me if I am correct?

As mine was already tight I have taken the paint off the mating faces so it will hopefully clamp a little tighter.  Is the spacer supposed to grip the clamp and column? It is shaped and has high and low points.
[/quote]

I'm still looking for a definitive answer about the "spacer" and steering column clamp. (Pictures are in the post above on Page 4).  The grey metal spacer (in the second picture) just to the right of the white tube I'm propping the steering column with while the clamp is off was round the outer column when I removed the clamp but I didn't notice where.  It must have been between the bottom of the section that widens out to accept the stalks and above the mounting plate for the ignition switch.  It isn't a complete circle, nor is it round - it waves in and out.  The "band" isn't a constant width either it narrows and widens as the diameter increases and decreases.  Rubbish description I know, but hopefully you get the idea in conjuction with the picture! For all I know it may just be to hold the rubber bung into the column, shown half under it in the second picture.

I started fastening the column clamp back on with this "spacer" inside it between the "grooves" on the inner face, which is where I assumed it should have been in order to grip the outer column and stop the movement I described.  It feels as though the two column clamp halves may have quite a gap if I carry on tightening.  I'm reluctant to do this until I'm sure the spacer should be there as I don't want to flatten the bumps round the outside of it only to find out it should be somewhere else later and I can't get a replacement.

Anyone got any idea's?  I haven't posted any more photos as it's still inside the partly tightened clamp, and anyone who's removed the clamp with the dash in will understand my reluctance to take the nuts back off the clamp once you've got the clamp back in place and the nuts on!

Thanks,

Richard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The clamp has a rubber gasket in the 'groove' you mentioned, between the clamp and the column. The is nice and stable when tightened correctly but may feel like there is a slight bit of give. Don't overtighten, the top of the clamp has threaded inserts pressed in, they will pull loose. I've made a new clamp for mine and I'll post a picture later.
« Last Edit: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 03:26:36 PM by RafM »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #121 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 01:03:48 AM »
Silver, great start on this thread. excellent advice from the other posts. Where did you get that great sign? I would love one for my Barn/garage/kayak storage area. Keep up the posts and pictures.
Sandy

ebay UK --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEVER-UNDERESTIMATE-AN-OLD-MAN-WITH-A-CLASSIC-LOTUS-EUROPA-METAL-SIGN-8-X-8/112844016710?hash=item1a46070c46:g:nXEAAOSwcN5amAFB

I used a sheet of aluminium instead of the steel closure plate, which rusts badly there.

I also ran a separate earth wire from the front where all the earths are gathered together and earth through the chassis plate, to the main chassis where the closure place is attached to the cross-member by 3 bolts.

I'm restoring a TC and the closing plate is missing, I checked with Richard Winters at Banks Lotus, he's advised that they were important to spread the load and stop the front end developing cracks. They make replacements which are not expensive.

Offline RafM

« Reply #122 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 01:15:28 AM »

Here is the steering bracket (bottom part) that I made, when tightening the original the threaded inserts became loose. I used a piece of steel angle and trimmed it with vinyl, it's pretty simple but nice and strong. You can see the rubber gasket that fits between the 'grooves' this clamps nicely around the column and stops it from moving when you turn the wheel. I used some 3mm thick rubber matting, Raf.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #123 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 01:46:52 AM »

Here is the steering bracket (bottom part) that I made, when tightening the original the threaded inserts became loose. I used a piece of steel angle and trimmed it with vinyl, it's pretty simple but nice and strong. You can see the rubber gasket that fits between the 'grooves' this clamps nicely around the column and stops it from moving when you turn the wheel. I used some 3mm thick rubber matting, Raf.

I'm pretty sure that's not standard. If you look later in my thread you can see I found a triumph vitesse column exploded view showing the metal piece I asked about http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3266.msg33642#msg33642 . When I fitted this as indicated in the diagram it fixed the issue.  This actually fits between the grooves you used to locate the rubber.

Offline RafM

« Reply #124 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 03:20:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's not standard. If you look later in my thread you can see I found a triumph vitesse column exploded view showing the metal piece I asked about http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3266.msg33642#msg33642 . When I fitted this as indicated in the diagram it fixed the issue.  This actually fits between the grooves you used to locate the rubber.

Yes, I saw that. Although the column is from a Herald/Vitesse the fitting is not exactly the same. There is no intermediate clamp bracket on the Europa, No 17 on the parts list attached is an impact bracket. But, whatever works is usually a good solution, Raf.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #125 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 05:07:54 AM »
  Good job on your bracket.

Just out of curiosity and caution, did you check the condition of the steering column outer shaft tube?
My S2 had a nice crack exactly in that area?

Dakazman

Offline RafM

« Reply #126 on: Friday,June 04, 2021, 05:45:14 AM »
  Good job on your bracket.

Just out of curiosity and caution, did you check the condition of the steering column outer shaft tube?
My S2 had a nice crack exactly in that area?

Dakazman

Yes, it's in good condition.

It's pretty flimsy aluminium but I think it's designed as a collapsible safety feature. I would prefer an air-bag in an ideal world!