Author Topic: Twin Cam Special 2267P  (Read 6286 times)

Offline GavinT

Re: Twin Cam Special 2267P
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »

Question: Is the spare wheel usually further across from the radiator, and is it likely to be impeding air flow enough to cause my overheating?
Can't answer your questions re spare wheel placement but I'd be surprised if it had any appreciable effect on radiator air flow.

Why?
Because the front compartment is essentially under (some) positive pressure from air entering through the grill.
With that said, it leaks like a sieve to an extent which is unavoidable. But it's worth making sure the sponge rubber across the top of the plenum divider is in decent order because that's a large potential area for air "leakage".

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday,June 16, 2020, 09:52:26 PM »

Question: Is the spare wheel usually further across from the radiator, and is it likely to be impeding air flow enough to cause my overheating?
Can't answer your questions re spare wheel placement but I'd be surprised if it had any appreciable effect on radiator air flow.

Why?
Because the front compartment is essentially under (some) positive pressure from air entering through the grill.
With that said, it leaks like a sieve to an extent which is unavoidable. But it's worth making sure the sponge rubber across the top of the plenum divider is in decent order because that's a large potential area for air "leakage".

The sponge is good. If anything it's a bit too good, as I'm pretty sure that is what holds the right rear corner of the bonnet slightly proud. I'll see if it's any better after I fit the new weathershield locks.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday,May 26, 2021, 06:29:13 AM »
If your clutch is both dragging and slipping, and has full pedal travel, it’s probably on its last legs.

I have got those exact symptoms with a brand new heavy duty clutch driven plate.

Does this mean the clutch cover plate needs replacing?

I cleaned up all the gearbox oil from the bell housing, the new gearbox oil seal is working perfectly, but gears are very hard to select, and the clutch is even slipping in 2nd.

Plus the clutch is making a noise when being slipped during 3 point turns, which is definitely not the release bearing. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #108 on: Wednesday,May 26, 2021, 07:06:09 AM »
It's a lot of work to get in there so I always fit new, matching parts.

Can you feel "resistance" high up on the clutch pedal's travel?

Is the clutch pedal low (limited travel)?  Or high (further out than the brake pedal)?

Did you fit a new release bearing?

Can you describe the noise further?  Are you sure it's associated with the clutch and not just the sharp turn?

Offline 4129R

« Reply #109 on: Wednesday,May 26, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
It's a lot of work to get in there so I always fit new, matching parts.

Can you feel "resistance" high up on the clutch pedal's travel?

Is the clutch pedal low (limited travel)?  Or high (further out than the brake pedal)?

Did you fit a new release bearing?

Can you describe the noise further?  Are you sure it's associated with the clutch and not just the sharp turn?

I have ordered a new release bearing and clutch cover. Everything else including the pedal and cable is new. The pedal feels quite normal with the clutch biting about 1/3 up on release.

Gear selection is very difficult, 1,2 and R are hard, 3 & 4 very difficult.

The clutch screeches when slipping during slow manoevres, not when the pedal is just depressed to engage the release bearing.

If the diaphragm is weak, what would the symptoms be? This car is nearly 50 years old, does the spring go in the diaphragm just through age, rather than mileage?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #110 on: Wednesday,May 26, 2021, 10:58:38 AM »
This kind of thing is not easy to diagnose over the phone (so to speak).

I would suspect the pressure plate (AKA: clutch cover) is the problem.  I would also replace the pilot bearing/bushing and the release bearing.

Is the clutch disc/plate from the same supplier and manufacturer as the new parts you just ordered?

Is there virtually zero hours on the clutch disc/plate?

If the answer to either question is no, then get a new matching disc as well.

While it's apart, check the clutch fork, pivots, return spring, etc.  Replace anything suspect, and lube it all carefully.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #111 on: Wednesday,May 26, 2021, 11:34:28 AM »
Clutch driven plate, brand new.

If when I fit the new clutch cover and clutch release bearing, the clutch still slips, I have run out of ideas.......

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday,May 26, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
If the diaphragm is weak, what would the symptoms be? This car is nearly 50 years old, does the spring go in the diaphragm just through age, rather than mileage?
When I did mine a few years ago it was very difficult to select gears and yet the pressure plate was in great condition, it was the cover and those finger springs that were the problem.
I persisted for a while struggling with it but I eventually found that if I selected a gear the instant the clutch pedal went down, ok. Leave it a few seconds and it got harder, it was almost as if the springs were relaxing under load.
It surprised me, I would have expected the plate to go first but in that case it was the cover. But it was probably the original clutch assembly, I've no notes of it being changed before. I changed the whole lot, incl release bearing because I didn't want to do it twice !
Brian

Offline 4129R

« Reply #113 on: Thursday,May 27, 2021, 12:52:07 AM »
When I did mine a few years ago it was very difficult to select gears and yet the pressure plate was in great condition, it was the cover and those finger springs that were the problem.
I persisted for a while struggling with it but I eventually found that if I selected a gear the instant the clutch pedal went down, ok. Leave it a few seconds and it got harder, it was almost as if the springs were relaxing under load.
It surprised me, I would have expected the plate to go first but in that case it was the cover. But it was probably the original clutch assembly, I've no notes of it being changed before. I changed the whole lot, incl release bearing because I didn't want to do it twice !
Brian

Thanks for that, it gives me hope.

If the fingers were flexing, that would make gear changes difficult.

If the diaphragm were weak, the clutch would slip.

I have never had these problems before, but then again, I am dealing with a car which is 49 years old.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #114 on: Sunday,May 30, 2021, 01:52:47 AM »
Success, at long last.

A new clutch cover and release bearing solved the screeching when the clutch was being slipped, and the slipping clutch even in 2nd gear, and the gear selection problem.

All 4 forward gear can fairly easily be found now, with 1st and reverse for maneuvering out of the garage very easy to find.

Thanks for your help, I have never had similar clutch cover problems before, so I had no idea it would affect gear selection so badly.  :) :) :)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #115 on: Sunday,May 30, 2021, 05:06:44 AM »
Excellent!!

Offline RafM

« Reply #116 on: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
Now the serious stuff.  I believe I've traced the brake fluid leak to the connection into the master cylinder from the reservoir.  It only seems to leak after  I've driven the car, and possibly the fluid has warmed up.
Question 1
Are the steering rack bellows supposed to be this close to the master cylinder, Some of the folds rub across it

The pipe is very close to the bellows normally but I don't think it should rub. I'm in the process of re-building a TC and had a similar problem, I got a new set of bellows which were a smaller diameter then the one on the car and it solved the problem.

Offline RafM

« Reply #117 on: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 02:54:35 PM »
Silver, great start on this thread. excellent advice from the other posts. Where did you get that great sign? I would love one for my Barn/garage/kayak storage area. Keep up the posts and pictures.
Sandy

ebay UK --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEVER-UNDERESTIMATE-AN-OLD-MAN-WITH-A-CLASSIC-LOTUS-EUROPA-METAL-SIGN-8-X-8/112844016710?hash=item1a46070c46:g:nXEAAOSwcN5amAFB

I'm restoring a TC and the closing plate is missing, I checked with Richard Winters at Banks Lotus, he's advised that they were important to spread the load and stop the front end developing cracks. They make replacements which are not expensive.

Offline RafM

« Reply #118 on: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 03:00:02 PM »
The blue wires are for the fan override switch fitted by a PO!  Does the windscreen washer tube usually run under there as well?  If not where is it normally routed?

The handbrake cable almost always rubs on the bodywork at the front pivot, it's a hopeless design. You can cut a piece of plastic tube and slip it over the heater pipes at the back of the chassis to stop the cable rubbing.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #119 on: Thursday,June 03, 2021, 03:07:02 PM »
I fitted the closing plate (from Banks) in 2019.

It's currently up in the air with the cooling system drained as it was leaking from one of the hoses to the heater (not in the cabin). I'm currently flushing years of rust/deposited out of the engine/radiator/pipes).

I also will be dropping the rear of the gearbox so I can get the roll pin out in order to pull the gear linkage back far enough to change the bushing on the bottom of the gear lever (from nothing to brass!).

I then need to bleed the brakes, oil and filter change and rebuild the carburetters as one has started leaking fuel, probably from the accelerator pump diaphragm!