Author Topic: Twin Cam Special 2267P  (Read 6183 times)

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Twin Cam Special 2267P
« on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
So I've started this thread to keep work on my car to one location, so any future owners can see anything I've done to it and be grateful for the information (or curse me for my stupidity ;D)

My previous introduction thread is here -> http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3253.30

It contains some photos and initial questions.  Thanks to all who responded. Some of the issues raised there will be developed fixed here...

Also some more issues will be raised now I've had a little more time to look at and drive the car.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: Twin Cam Special 2267P
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »
So first things first - I've bought another Twin Cam Special
                                          |
                                          |
                                          |
                                          |
                                          |
                                          |
                                          V

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
And a sign for the garage when I eventually get it cleared properly

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
Nice!

:lotus:

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 12:38:22 PM »
Now the serious stuff.  I believe I've traced the brake fluid leak to the connection into the master cylinder from the reservoir.  It only seems to leak after  I've driven the car, and possibly the fluid has warmed up.
Question 1
Are the steering rack bellows supposed to be this close to the master cylinder, Some of the folds rub across it

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
Nice!

:lotus:

BTW the Fossil box is nothing to do with the Old Man bit, that was for a watch!

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
While crawling around under the car I noticed that the front drop links seem to be incorrectly fitted.  Do they get moved like this over time or is it just bad assembly by a PO?  Does the (British) Anti-Roll (US - Sway?) Bar look standard or could it have been replaced.  The end fittings just look like a flattened tab with a hole in it and aren't "square" into the mounting pin on the lower arm, though obviously this will change as the suspension loads and unloads.  The drop links are also straight, after a bend a short distance from the top mounting.  Is this correct? I noticed, having a quick look at the Certified Lotus epic rebuild thread his seem to be shaped around his rack.
« Last Edit: Monday,August 17, 2020, 05:52:22 AM by SilverBeast »

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »
Now the serious stuff.  I believe I've traced the brake fluid leak to the connection into the master cylinder from the reservoir.  It only seems to leak after  I've driven the car, and possibly the fluid has warmed up.
Question 1
Are the steering rack bellows supposed to be this close to the master cylinder, Some of the folds rub across it

That is not the stock M/C and there is supposed to be a spacer between the frame and the M/C. The M/C is probably not the problem but the lack of the spacer (and the longer push rod that would need to go with it) is your problem. I would try Lotus Supplies Ltd.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
While crawling around under the car I noticed that the front drop links seem to be incorrectly fitted.  Do they get moved like this over time or is it just bad assembly by a PO?  Does the (British) Anti-Roll (US - Sway?) Bar look standard or could it have been replaced.  The end fittings just look like a flattened tap with a hole in it and aren't "square" into the mounting pin on the lower arm, though obviously this will change as the suspension loads and unloads.  The drop links are also straight, after a bend a short distance from the top mounting.  Is this correct? I noticed, having a quick look at the Certified Lotus epic rebuild thread his seem to be shaped around his rack.

The drop links and anti-roll bar look standard but it appears that the lower bushing was pushed toward the center. They are pretty much as you describe. The slight bend at the top is to clear the rack, etc. The anti-roll bar looks ok. I would try straightening the drop links so they are not pointed toward the center but rather in line with the upper suspension fulcrum where it's mounted. They probably just pivoted on the fulcrum pin so try to swing them further out so they are straight. It could be that he did that on purpose as a poor man's shorter drop link so that the roll bar is higher up in the car.

Also, that looks like an S2 anti-roll bar. I think the S2 had a 1/2" bar but according to the parts manual, all the TCs have a 3/4" bar.

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:02:00 PM »
As BDA mentions the drop link should be straightened.  There is a bump on the anti roll bar which should prevent the bush from moving to far along the anti roll bar.  It looks like the bush has been pushed over this bump.  See the attached picture of my chassis.

Regards,
Sherman

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:03:46 PM »
There are 'pips' pressed onto the anti roll bar that kind of locate where the drop links should sit - you can just make them out on the pics that you have posted - the drop links are the wrong side of the pips. As BDA has said, the drop link should drop pretty much vertically to the bar.

The rack gaiters do look a bit big tbh, they are probably a universal type that somebody has fitted, not too difficult to replace and find some of a slightly smaller diameter, if I can find he box for the last set I bought I will post a pic for reference (only universal anyway tbh!)

Something I have noticed from your pics is that the front closing plate appears to be missing. It's a steel plate that fixes to the front edge of the chassis and bolts through the floor of the body near where the spare wheel and radiator are located. - well worth having this fitted asap, it supports the front end, without it the shell tends to crack from about the mid point of the front arches! It's quite common for them to be missing and for the car to have the resulting cracks in the shell.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
Question 1

That is not the stock M/C and there is supposed to be a spacer between the frame and the M/C. The M/C is probably not the problem but the lack of the spacer (and the longer push rod that would need to go with it) is your problem. I would try Lotus Supplies Ltd.

Looking at this thread->http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=138.0 it looks like the UK Specials didn't have a spacer block between the Master Cylinder and the chassis.  Can anyone with a UK Special confirm this?

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:31:35 PM »
Silver, great start on this thread. excellent advice from the other posts. Where did you get that great sign? I would love one for my Barn/garage/kayak storage area. Keep up the posts and pictures.
Sandy

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
BDA, JR73, Sherman Kaplan.  Thanks for your responses.  That's pretty much the conclusion I had come to.

Something I have noticed from your pics is that the front closing plate appears to be missing. It's a steel plate that fixes to the front edge of the chassis and bolts through the floor of the body near where the spare wheel and radiator are located. - well worth having this fitted asap, it supports the front end, without it the shell tends to crack from about the mid point of the front arches! It's quite common for them to be missing and for the car to have the resulting cracks in the shell.

Thanks for this information.  That one of the (many) other questions I was going to ask.

Looking here -> http://rdent.com/manuals/europa/s2parts/chassis/aa.htm it appears to show that the S1/S2 had a closing plate but here - > http://rdent.com/manuals/europa/tcparts/chassis/aa.htm it appears that the TC/TCS didn't have them.  Again can anyone with a UK Spec TCS confirm this?

To me it would make sense to fit one if only to give  a modicum of protection to the (single circuit) brake pipes, master cylinder, and the steering rack, from road debris. It may also have a marginal improvement in aerodynamics with a marginally cleaner underbody path.  It would possible also allow you to "surf" further through deep puddles/lakes before gravity finally won  ;D  I wonder if anyone has tried to covert a Europa into an Amphicar.....

Does anyone have the dimensions of this closing plate?

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,August 27, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
Silver, great start on this thread. excellent advice from the other posts. Where did you get that great sign? I would love one for my Barn/garage/kayak storage area. Keep up the posts and pictures.
Sandy

ebay UK --> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEVER-UNDERESTIMATE-AN-OLD-MAN-WITH-A-CLASSIC-LOTUS-EUROPA-METAL-SIGN-8-X-8/112844016710?hash=item1a46070c46:g:nXEAAOSwcN5amAFB