Author Topic: Brake Stuff  (Read 333 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Brake Stuff
« on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 10:06:58 AM »
In the middle of trying to decide whether I go with the F10 master cylinder OR the Triumph Spitfire version.  I found a set of 3/8x24 bubble to 3/8x24 inverted adapters which I can use (my flare tool just does not do a clean bubble flare, but it's useable) and the F10 has the metric to SAE inverted adapters already on it, so...it's 6 of one, etc. 

Anyway, in preparation of which one (acknowledging that using the F10 will require a little fettling to get the brake rod capture washer to the right diameter and thickness to use on the F10), I picked up some Tilton remote reservoirs and mounting adapters, clamps, and brake fluid resistant hose to plumb it in (the F10 already has the remote caps installed).  I had originally ordered the medium size reservoirs and filter screens to fit...screens were one part number away from the large reservoir part number.  So, guess which one they sent?   Anyway, Pegasus said to keep the large ones, and they shipped the filter screens gratis.

So...dilemma?  Which to use?  If a medium container is good, large has to be better, right?  LOL.

Oh, also ordered a spare cap so I can adapt the pressure bleeder to the Tilton reservoir.  Anyway...decisions, decisions.

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Brake Stuff
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 01:23:50 PM »
My two-piece reservoirs like that (Wilwood) eventually leaked.  I switched to one piece reservoirs and no more issues.

I would go with the Triumph master.  They will be available forever.  The F10 ones are already obsolete and hard to find.  When next the master goes, you, or the current owner, will be happy you did.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
My two-piece reservoirs like that (Wilwood) eventually leaked.  I switched to one piece reservoirs and no more issues.

I would go with the Triumph master.  They will be available forever.  The F10 ones are already obsolete and hard to find.  When next the master goes, you, or the current owner, will be happy you did.

That's what I was leaning towards; with the bubble to inverted adapter...I can get around the limitations of my flare tool (it's not a junky pacific rim knock-off, but it just doesn't do the bubble to my satisfaction) with adapting to inverted (yeah, another point of leak/failure).  That, and the reservoir comes off relatively without drama, so installing may be a bit less fraught with deploying colorful anglo-saxon metaphors.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 03:02:48 PM »
Isn't your Triumph MC a 0.75" unit? And you don't have boosters?

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 03:06:40 PM »
Isn't your Triumph MC a 0.75" unit? And you don't have boosters?

That is correct.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 04:14:28 PM »
I would run a 0.70 myself.  I thought the Triumph masters came in 0.70 and 0.85.  That's just off the top of my head though.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 07:33:12 PM »
I would run a 0.70 myself.  I thought the Triumph masters came in 0.70 and 0.85.  That's just off the top of my head though.

Figure the one I have is marked .75....05 difference isn't that much.  I have a few (3 or 4) old ones from the S2s I took apart...could always send out to be sleeved and rebuilt...would have to see if they fit with the original reservoirs, though. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,May 23, 2023, 09:55:18 PM »
Hi Bryan,

I'm running a 19mm cylinder without brake servo which equates to your 0.75" cylinder and I don't feel that the brakes are hard to apply. It's the same one used on the S1 Elise and that doesn't have servo assistance either.  But both cars have larger discs giving you more leverage at the wheel so perhaps that's a factor ?

Personally I'd go with your 0.75 and if you're used to servo assistance then try greenstuff pads to start as they have the best initial bite of the pads I've used. I use Mintex 1144 and have them on all the cars, even in preference to the Elise OEM pads.

I also used a remote reservoir,  standard on UK cars and for me it's the only way to go. Mine is a 2 chamber unit from a Land Rover, this has a low level switch in the filler cap which I wired up to a warning light on the dash.

Brian

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,May 24, 2023, 04:51:46 AM »
Hi Bryan,

I'm running a 19mm cylinder without brake servo which equates to your 0.75" cylinder and I don't feel that the brakes are hard to apply. It's the same one used on the S1 Elise and that doesn't have servo assistance either.  But both cars have larger discs giving you more leverage at the wheel so perhaps that's a factor ?

Personally I'd go with your 0.75 and if you're used to servo assistance then try greenstuff pads to start as they have the best initial bite of the pads I've used. I use Mintex 1144 and have them on all the cars, even in preference to the Elise OEM pads.

I also used a remote reservoir,  standard on UK cars and for me it's the only way to go. Mine is a 2 chamber unit from a Land Rover, this has a low level switch in the filler cap which I wired up to a warning light on the dash.

Brian

It's a case of 'if you never had one, you won't miss it'...never had the servos in the circuit...removed them before I got the brakes bled out last year, so can't really tell whether I would have enjoyed the boost or known what the feel was like.  To me, the brakes were hard on application (and I had about 1" of travel), but, knowing that going in, I got used to the hard pedal in the 2000 miles I put on her in the last year, mostly city and some motorway driving.

I have the greenstuff pads in (rebuilt the calipers and just put them on...)...thinking that the .75 will give me some more travel (fluid dynamics, right?) and will make up for it in grippier pads.  Rear drums have new pads, so, adjust them all out and have at it. 

(do you have a p/n for the reservoir?  I like that idea of the low level switch...I do have the circuit from the (removed) PDWV that would be ideal for deploying as a warning...and even would light the light!  There's a JLR dealer right next door to my home airport...with a parts department...;)

Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,May 24, 2023, 09:31:59 AM »
Sorry, I don't have any numbers, I just remember that I bought it from Ebay and it was described as "Land Rover". I originally bought one for the Elan when I fitted the Triumph dual circuit 0.7 m/cylinder because it's such a pain to check fluid levels with the reservoir hidden under the webers. When I changed the Europa to dual circuit I bought another one, again from Ebay.

I did a quick search and it looks very similar to this one....

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/2-chamber-brake-fluid-reservoir-125mm

pic attached of the one on the Europa.