Author Topic: Does anybody know about Renault CV joints?  (Read 228 times)

Offline BDA

Does anybody know about Renault CV joints?
« on: Saturday,August 20, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
I have Richard's early twin link rear suspension and I believe (only because they have to fit on the NG3 I also got from Richard) that it probably uses Fuego CV joints.

For some reason, the inner roller part has come out of the outer part and I don't see how to get them back together!

These pictures come from a spare CV joint I am now super happy I bought many years ago. Please ignore the left over duct tape gum:
The first picture is of the outer part.
The second is of the inner roller part.
The third shows that the inner part doesn't just drop into the outer part.

I've tried tipping the inner part all different ways. I also tried the three different orientations in case each roller was of a different size. I tried knocking the sheet metal part with a hammer and a punch. I was a bit restrained here until I was told I should hit harder, but I hit it pretty hard to no effect. But the fact remains, the inner part came out of the outer part on it's own - possibly because it got in just the right position.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 20, 2022, 12:58:30 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

Re: Does anybody know about Renault CV joints?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,August 20, 2022, 02:02:50 PM »
Here's the relevant section of the manual:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,August 20, 2022, 02:06:28 PM »
They can be a real pain.  All three "rollers" need to line up perfectly in order for the "tripod" to slide home.  I usually held the shaft at an angle and fit each "roller" separately.  The last one is usually quite the fiddle.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,August 20, 2022, 02:10:45 PM »
First you need to bend the "anti-separation" tabs out of the way.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,August 20, 2022, 05:03:25 PM »
That's a big help, JB!! My spider is still retained by the circlip so some how the spider with the balls popped out in spite of my effort to treat them gently.

It appears that the key is to gently bend the tabs on the anti-separation plate enough to get the spider in and then tap them back down in something resembling where they came from and so the spider can't come out again.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,August 21, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »
I finally got it all back together! The only thing I had thick enough to open those anti-separation tabs was a big pickle fork so after beating on the tabs with it for a while - occasionally testing the fit with the spare spider I had -  I got it so I could get two rollers in fairly easily. I realize I had no choice but it wasn't comfortable for me because it felt like I was forcing something to fit. With the yoke chucked in my vice, I had my helper hold the assembled radius arm/upright/half shaft over the yoke and lower it in. A big surprise was that it went in very easily which means to me that I might have gone farther than I needed to on the anti-separation tabs. While my buddy was holding the rest of it, I punched the tabs down with a hammer and punch. We tested that the yoke didn't come off the spider (we didn't press our luck though!), re-tie wrapped the ends of the boot and declared victory!  :trophy:

I didn't mention it before but when I went to test fit everything for the upright, the hubs (came with Richard's rear disc kit) would not fit on the stub axles. I had to file the splines in the hub to get it to fit! Something that was not comfortable for me to do either but again, I had no choice. Rebuilding of my rear suspension this time has been long, hard and uncomfortable but the light is bright at the end of the tunnel. So far, no evidence that light is connected to a train!

Thank you again, JB! You really saved the day!