Author Topic: Radio question  (Read 467 times)

Offline rjbaren

Radio question
« on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 03:11:21 PM »
I installed a JVC KD-TD910BTS radio with AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth/Aux/Pandora etc.  I have two complaints. 1). It turns on every time I turn on the ignition.  I must have connected one wire too many.  If any of you guys out there are car stereo mavens maybe you will know why.  I have an Orange/white for illumination I did not use, a Yellow for 12 volt battery, a red 12 volt ignition, a black for ground.  Blue to power antenna, I hope I didn't use that one, Blue/white to amplifier I don't believe I used that one either, Light blue/yellow to steering wheel control I know I didn't use that one.

I am thinking, maybe the red from ignition could be turning it on each time I turn on the ignition.  I guess I could just snip it and see but before I do that maybe someone here knows.

Complaint 2). I need a subwoofer.  Do you think I can hang a skinny one above the passenger footwell?

I installed this same radio in two other cars as well.  One of them turns on each time I start the car and one doesn't.  I figure if I can learn how to use the radio in one car then I'm good across the board.

Thanks.       

Offline jbcollier

Re: Radio question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 04:29:04 PM »
Check your instructions.  Usually it's red for battery power and yellow for ignition.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,June 05, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
It's yellow for battery and red for ignition, per the instructions.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,June 06, 2021, 09:47:01 PM »
Do you turn off the unit before turning off the ignition?

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #4 on: Monday,June 07, 2021, 05:39:15 AM »
Yes, I turned off the radio before I turned off the ignition.  I thought about that and tired it again to be sure.  I also checked the other two cars that I installed this unit in and they both do not turn on with the ignition.  Just the Lotus.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Monday,June 07, 2021, 08:17:44 AM »
   Your radio may have an internal switching circuit that controls the power has failed.

dakazman

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,June 08, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
Dakazman you may be right.  I first cut the red wire which is the ignition wire and the radio would not turn on.  It is hot when the key is turned to either position 1 or 2.  I resoldered it and then cut the yellow wire which is the battery wire and the radio would not turn on, so I resoldered it and said the heck with it I'll just have to turn it off when I start the car.  It could be worse.
Thanks for the help.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,June 08, 2021, 02:12:05 PM »
You could ping JVC, or ask at a radio shop, there might be a menu selection that resolves it.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 05:55:39 AM »
I tried calling JVC and got recording after recording so I called the Tech line at Parts Express in Ohio.  The tech there said to try cutting the red wire then the yellow wire and see what happens.  So after going that route with no positive results I wonder if both my wires are actually ignition wires.  I do know the red wire only comes on with the ignition key turned.  I neglected to find out the same for the yellow Battery wire.  Maybe if the battery wire is not hot all the time, and it should be, that could be the problem or answer.  One more thing to test.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 09, 2021, 06:20:21 AM »
That was it!  I had the battery wire connected to a fuse that was controlled by the ignition switch.  I switched it to the fuse that is always hot and that allowed it to work correctly.  I do have an inline fuse in the wire going from the hot fuse to the battery wire of the radio so I believe now all is good.  (Except for the subwoofer idea.)
Thank you guys again.