Author Topic: Filling up  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Pete

Filling up
« on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 08:35:38 AM »
Okay. I know it’s a bit of a silly question. But I’m totally new to the lotus.  When putting fuel in. Do you have to fill both tanks or can you just fill one and it will move between the two?? I’ve been putting a bit in both at the moment. As I’m only using a Jerry can.
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.

Offline Dilkris

Re: Filling up
« Reply #1 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »
No questions are silly  ;) On the twin cam there is a balance pipe between the 2 tanks, so filling one tank fills the other. What I cannot tell you is whether this balance pipe allows for the transfer of fuel between the 2 tanks at the same rate as you are putting it in one of them.  :confused: (I am still rebuilding my car so this is why I am unsure of this.) 
Someone on the Forum will advise how it works for the S2 - which is what you are running I assume.   

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 08:53:43 AM »
I fill using both tanks, its faster that way. Levels will eventually equalize using one tank to fill up but it may take some time . The tank outlets are tiny, approx 1/8" in diameter.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 09:08:41 AM »
I fill using both tanks, its faster that way. Levels will eventually equalize using one tank to fill up but it may take some time . The tank outlets are tiny, approx 1/8" in diameter.
Same here. Although in theory the balance pipe levels up both tanks, you're putting it in with a 1/2" (?) feed and you quickly overrun the balance pipe. Although it looks odd, if you want a full load of fuel you need to fill one side and then top off the other tank.

Brian

Offline Pete

« Reply #4 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
Fair enough. I thought it may do that. So with a Jerry can fill I don’t need to both. Just one will do. Lol
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 03:02:05 PM »
It would take a long, long time to fill through just the balance pipe.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #6 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »
No questions are silly

:I-agree:

My DDPO (deceased dreaded previous owner) installed shutoff solenoid valve on the left tank with a mystery switch under the dash. Took me a while to figure that out.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,April 28, 2021, 12:40:20 PM »
 :WTF: - seriously ......???? - At  £168,(approx US$234), who cares....  :headbanger: :headbanger:

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,April 28, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
they were fitted to lots of British classic cars of the fifties & sixties, possibly very cheap to manufacture in large quanitities then with bodies cast in monkey metal, not cheap to manufacture now even with cnc manufacturing of the bodies.
I'm not saying fit one now, but is one fitted (they were fitted to Rover's amongst other things), just an enquiry about the solenoid valve Surfguitar
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,April 29, 2021, 04:49:29 AM »
they were fitted to lots of British classic cars of the fifties & sixties, possibly very cheap to manufacture in large quanitities then with bodies cast in monkey metal, not cheap to manufacture now even with cnc manufacturing of the bodies.
I'm not saying fit one now, but is one fitted (they were fitted to Rover's amongst other things), just an enquiry about the solenoid valve Surfguitar

Sorry about the delayed response MRN. No, it was not the valve you show, just a cheap NC 1/4" NPT shutoff valve rated for fuel. I installed a nearly identical valve connected to an impact switch to shut fuel off in case of an accident. The one in the picture is similar but not the same manufacturer. My car is still in storage so I can't take a pic of the actual valve at the moment.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery