Author Topic: Glorious Foibles  (Read 339 times)

Offline jbcollier

Glorious Foibles
« on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 09:58:16 AM »
Opening excerpt from an article on a Plus 2S/130 in April ‘88 issue of Supercar Classics.

————————-

“So lonely ‘twas that God himself scarce seemed there to be... “ is one of the few lines of Eng Lit to have stayed in my mind these 20-odd years.  I don’t know the circumstances in which they entered Coleridge’s head, but I clearly remember the time they resurfaced in mine.  Loneliness, let me tell you, is a Lotus Elan, Rotoflex driveshaft coupling sheared, by the side of the road between Bayonne and Bordeaux.  At three in the morning.  Neither God nor anyone else came by  until daybreak.

As usual, on these occasions, I fell to cursing Colin Chapman for building cars at once so irresistible and insufferable, then sank back into a troubled sleep, keenly aware that locating a new Rotoflex in Aquitaine would not be the work of a moment.  Thereafter I carried spares, but the trick thing about Elans was that they always knew, always broke, what you didn’t have with you.

And yet I owned three of the things.  For some years I did without peace of mind, never began a journey with any surety of finishing it.  For this was a Lotus, possessed of all the glories and foibles of Chapman’s race cars, and there was enough of the man’s genius in the Elan to make it incomparably the most satisfying genuine sports car of its time.  What else did you buy in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s?  MGB?  TR6?  Oh please...

————————-

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Glorious Foibles
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »
That’s great!

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »
Absolutely brilliant John!

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »
I loved your lyrical tribute to the Elan! (Maybe we should assume your wife wrote it for you!  :FUNNY:)

I love my Europa but quite often I wish I had an Elan. I had heard of the phenomenal handling in an autocross even with those skinny tires. In spite of the lack of finish detail on most Loti, they have always had not only wonderful handling but great ride quality. Riding in a Spitfire felt more like a truck after driving my Europa.

Being left in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night was surely an experience you could have done without. Spare donuts make a lot of sense. CV joint half shafts would be even better. In any event, we're all thankful you made it back home.

Your story reminds me of when I was driving through rural Colorado at 2:00 am on I-25 about 400 miles after my last fill up, according to the owner's manual my gas tanks held 15 gallons and since I had been getting 30 mpg, I knew I had a little while to find a gas station. Then the car starts to cough. I coughed and coasted off the highway and into a neighborhood. I came to a stop near a service truck of some kind. My buddy found a can of gas in it. We splashed a gallon or so into the Europa, put the can back in the truck, and drove off to the next gas station. Unfortunately, there was no way I could repay the owner.

Certainly not as harrowing nor as lyrically told as JB's story, but the best I can do.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »
Not my story!

Just an excerpt from my morning reading.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 28, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »
That's what I get for not reading the top line of the post! Anyway, it was a great post!