Author Topic: Greasing Europa pedals  (Read 1299 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Greasing Europa pedals
« Reply #15 on: Monday,September 02, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
There's not a lot of room to work with.  On a LHD car the throttle and brake both have to fit to the right of go the steering shaft.

Offline shootingsight

• Lotus Europa Community
« Reply #16 on: Monday,September 02, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
My recollection is that the gap between the clutch and the gas pedal is thin, so if you have wide shoes, getting your foot in between them to operate the brake is not easy.  Hence I would move the clutch pedal slightly to the left.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,September 03, 2019, 05:10:19 PM »
  I think I’ll keep this assembly stock setup . After working on rebuilding this unit took 20 plus hours I have a new appreciation of why they ask big$$$ for custom assemblies. I need to get the car up and running first. I can always come back and reinvent the wheel.
Dakazman

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,September 03, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
  I need to get the car up and running first. I can always come back...
Dakazman

I hear ya, man!  There are many possible upgrades I'd like to consider.  But important to get the basics working right for now.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 01:48:15 AM »
I was in the same boat Dave. Kept modifying or customizing along the way and many times had to remind myself, you really want to get the car on the road at some point. So I only focused on making improvements/enhancements that would be more difficult once the car was together.

Never the less, your doing great work!

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 05:04:06 AM »
When I drove Glen's Europa from LOG he and I had no place for our left foot ?
I took my Europa out to get ready for Watkins Glen this weekend and I have more room for my left foot ?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
  Thanks you the pictures Bruce . From the picture it looks like your brake pedal comes straight up and the clutch stop is on the outside of the clutch pedal. I’m wondering now if mine weren’t modified previously. I did place the pedal inside the car to weld in the stop for the clutch so it wouldn’t hit the forward wall and noticed the stop bolt mount was brazed in at a useless angle. As soon as I mount my gas pedal assembly I’ll try to sit in car and test. Lol that’s a picture in itself.
Dakazman

Offline BobW

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 10:17:59 AM »
I don't find a clutch stop on the stock S2 pedal assembly. I wear size 13 shoes (European 46), about the largest you could operate these pedals with. At that size, only a shoe like a sneaker has a a narrow enough sole to fit over the gas pedal betwen the brake and the central tunnel. I still find a spot to rest my left foot to the left of the clutch pedal.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
BobW,  I can’t tell from the picture..., but the clutch stop may be under that rug to the leg of the pedal. It may be wise to check out he condition of the pedal mount bracket , mine might have caused a severe accident.
Dakazman

Offline BobW

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
There's no stop. There is also no projection on the pedal lever that would hit a stop. The pedal will go down until the leading edge of the lever touches the floor carpet. If there's a stop there it's inside the pedal tube, but I've never had that apart. My clutch is adjusted to take up near the top of its travel, so I'd not normally push it to the floor.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,September 04, 2019, 12:50:05 PM »
   Thanks for checking Bob.  Now that you posted a picture of the pedals as others have I found my mistake. It will be easy to fix and will give me a way to spread the pedals more .
 I put the short tube by the gas pedal , so I’ll add a few washers to shift the pedals to my liking.😀
Dakazman

Offline shootingsight

• Lotus Europa Community
« Reply #26 on: Saturday,September 07, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
I added press fit grease nipples.  I found these at McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/1102k53 you drill a 3/16 hole, I used an end mill rather than a drill, so it cuts through the outer tube, but not through the inner tube, and these have a little barb tip that is a press fit with a hammer (use a socket as a driver tool).  They seated well, though in retrospect, I should have added some loctite to be sure.

When I started pumping grease in, it was green grease, but it came out brown from all the rust in it.  So I pumped a little more till I started seeing green come out.  Seems to have worked.

While I was at it, I found a source of traction tread. https://www.mcmaster.com/6979t11.  I wrapped it on a small propane tank to curve it, then cut out pieces that matched the pedals and welded them on the edges.  Other than making it painful to drive in bare feet, these ought to be excellent anti-skid and I don't need to add the rubber pads on the pedals.  The rubber pads not only wear out, but they are slightly wider than the pedals, and I want all the room between the pedals that I can get.  Welds are not pretty, but I was doing it while holding my breath, as this was galvanized stuff, and you don't want to be breathing zinc fumes.

« Last Edit: Saturday,September 07, 2019, 04:11:04 PM by shootingsight »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,September 07, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »
  You did a great job and I’m sure it will last another 50+ years. I have been using gripthread tape for the pedals of a Hyundai tiberon instead of the rubber. All open vechicles on airport grounds have your
Type pedal.
Dakazman