Author Topic: New S1/S2 Engine Mount...Ford Anglia?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline HealeyBN7

New S1/S2 Engine Mount...Ford Anglia?
« on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
What I thought was unique to the Europa looks like it first appeared in 1958 on the Ford Anglia.  This could be a viable cross reference, but I can't test it as I am no longer running the original style mounts (Zetec).

At a price point less then that of a hamburger (~$10), if they fit you can hardly go wrong.  The problem will be resisting all the other go fast goodies in the Burton Power catalog.

http://www.burtonpower.com/engine-mount-anglia-105e-consul-classic-capri-em225.html

Dean / S2 Zetec

Offline RoddyMac

Re: New S1/S2 Engine Mount...Ford Anglia?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »
The Europa uses them backwards, and if you check out the parts manual they share the same part number as the early Elans 26E0374 (which is the same as the Anglebox).

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
Nice find!

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »
That looks like the TC motor mounts, too.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
Going from dim memory, I believe the mounts used are uprated from the Anglia ones.

Online BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 10:44:03 AM »
I think you're right. The ones I have appear to be made of slightly thicker steel.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,February 02, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
I think you're right. The ones I have appear to be made of slightly thicker steel.
I bought some modern reproduction mounts for the Elan, which uses one standard Anglia part like that shown and another Ford mount with slightly higher lift for the carb side. They were cheap, but it was a mistake....   

As you say BDA the steel is thinner than the older Ford parts and it's obvious without even having them side by side. The rubber was also softer than I expected.  I'm sure it would work but when they took the engine weight you could see quite a lot of movement.  As clearance between the carbs & bulkhead is pretty small I decided not to use them and went looking for NOS parts.

Given the Europa mounts take static weight and also some cornering loads, I'd want to be sure the parts were up to the job.  There's probably a good reason why some places fill the void under the rubber with castable rubber, and after my experience I suspect it's to compensate for an initially weaker component.

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2017, 03:41:54 AM »
Yes as Brian says they are uprated with a much more rigid rubber. A higher Shore rating.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Roger

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »
I've  just replaced the mounts in my TC, one of the old ones had the centre steel plate completely sheared from the rubber.

Offline Lotus 47

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
I really don't like the original 105E mounts. I started replacing them only to find brand new ones delaminating from day 1 after installation.
It is difficult to know where they have been made, and if the rubber is up to the job, and if the bonding has been done correctly. When I rebuilt my S2 I made a revised mount which I posted elsewhere on this site. See below.

I've used these since 2005. Serge has made a very similar mounts for his car.

Ideally the mount should be as soft as possible to absorb engine vibrations, yet it needs to be as stiff as possible, so the rear suspension isn't rolling all over the place with the engine. I opted for stiff, and had a very nice handling car.

Cheers

Richard